Texas Hunting Forum

calling help

Posted By: mikeYZ250

calling help - 03/06/10 04:39 PM

I have killed numerous coyotes on my place most if not all have been from just seeing them and having a rifle ready, but me and some buddies have had a lot of trouble calling them in. We have tried hand calls, and electronic calls. I have called one bobcat in with a hand call but that is it. Called it with a Weems wildcall for fox. wolves, and cats. I have a Johnny Stewart prey master wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I wouldn't mind it if maybe someone would like to come out and hunt maybe I could learn something.

Posted By: twiztedlemon

Re: calling help - 03/06/10 05:39 PM

Yotes are very weary and smart animals. Their hearing and smell play a huge part in their survival. Give us a better idea of how you set up and details so we can help you out.

Posted By: sportsman

Re: calling help - 03/06/10 05:41 PM

How big is the property? Maybe your getting winded/seen before you see them?

Re: calling help - 03/06/10 06:04 PM

198 acres, we setup in a few different places usually by a group of trees down wind from a large open area call for a few minutes and wait then call again usually sit in one spot for about 20 min. We have hunted in the day time once but usually at night right after sunset till about 10:30 or so. Is it better to hunt when the moon is almost full and bright or when it more overcast, and not a full almost full moon? We walk from spot to spot not with in 300 yards from previous spot.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: calling help - 03/06/10 11:07 PM

no moon at all the better.. sounds like your doing the right things to me. scan fast with the light and spot them before they spot you at night

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 12:21 AM

Yeah we have been going on a very bright night, so I will try going on a darker night, thanks

Posted By: Texas Proud

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 03:51 AM

I'd set-up w/ the wind to my back and have the other guy ready for one to come in behind ya. More than likely they are using the wind and will normally come in with the wind in their favor. IMO, best to give it to them and just be ready for a quick shot (close or long). They also maybe weary of the electronic calls. I think a reedcall would be best, but I'm no good at callin' w/ them.

Posted By: ffread

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 04:23 AM

198 acres is probably only big enough for about two calls. Coyotes can hear your call from a long ways away. Go on the new moon when it is really dark and use a red lense spotlight. Scan really fast so you can pick them up a ways out and keep them in the halo of the light, dont put the light directly on them until you are ready to shoot. You can scan really fast you wont miss their precious eyes they will shine like diamonds when you run it across them. Dont over call the property they will catch on pretty quick, I would say maybe once a month if that much.

Posted By: ffread

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 04:23 AM

And I usually call for 20 to 45 minutes. Where is your place located town or county?

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 04:51 AM

It seems like some places are more condusive to calling than others. We can go out to W. Texas and call prime areas and get one animal all night on 1,000's of acres. We can go to the deer lease in Montague and call in 3 to 4 animals in a day on 1,000 acres.

Re: calling help - 03/07/10 02:20 PM

Were just out side of Bells east of Sherman, Thanks for all of the info.

Posted By: TSU99

Re: calling help - 03/08/10 04:58 PM

Use a mouth call, and vary the tone and the frequency. The way I do it is I start out really loud like a rabbit has just been caught. Then, I'll soften the sound like it's dying, and loud again like the Coyote bit down. I have no fixed pattern to my calling, and have them running in with reckless adandon within five minutes or so.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum