Texas Hunting Forum

License?

Posted By: COWDOG

License? - 02/10/10 05:24 PM

So what’s the deal do you need a License to hunt hogs?
I’m taking a friend to my lease to go hog hunting…should he get a license?

TPWD book states

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.

Then it contradicts it's self and states:

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license).
Includes, but is not limited to feral hog,

What’s the answer?

Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:09 PM

Are you killing and letting lay??? Will you be keeping the meat??? If you keep the meat get a license... If not keeping meat don't bother.. Just say you are killing depredating hogs.

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:22 PM

You could probably get away with it, but I'd play it safe and avoid the hassel by getting one.

Posted By: txvarminter

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:26 PM

Just got off the phone with a GW buddy of mine. If hogs are in the process of depredation then you do NOT need a license.

BUT what happens when your buddy sees a fox or bobcat while out hunting then he can't shoot it. I would say your best practice is to get a license and that way you don't have to worry.

Posted By: population-control

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:27 PM

The way i understood it you don't need a license to hunt hogs if the property you are hunting is in your family. If your taking a buddy hunting, he should probably get a license

Posted By: moderno

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:41 PM

I have a hog hunting out-fitter that runs hog hunts on my ranches and he requires that anyone hog hunting have a valid hunting licence, even out of state hunters, or they cant go.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: License? - 02/10/10 06:48 PM

From TPWD website.

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property.
It is against the law to:

* Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
* Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
* Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
* Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: License? - 02/10/10 07:05 PM

Just spoke to the game warden in my area...
Just as txvarminter stated...

If we have premission to hunt hogs on the owners prpoerty...
And if we plan to eat or take the carcuss

YOU NEED A LICENSE

However...

If you are out hunting hogs for Depredating purposess..meaning let lay...

YOU DO NOT

Since some of my buddies are just out to shot while others are taking meat...Im making all of them get the license.

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted By: tommy e

Re: License? - 02/11/10 09:27 PM

license cheaper than a ticket

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum