Texas Hunting Forum

122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris?

Posted By: barnez

122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 03:36 PM

I read this in the Paris News Yesterday. Anyone have pics of this thing?

Quote:
Pack takes down six newborn calves

By Bill Hankins
The Paris News
Published February 4, 2010

BLOSSOM — Michael Lee Blackburn spotted the menacing animals that had killed six of his newborn calves.

He raised his rifle and shot two of the three running in a pack.

The third escaped.

When he looked closer at the animals, he discovered they looked like grey wolves, a predator not seen in the wilds of Texas since the 1970s.

“I am keeping a watchful eye for the third of the pack,” Blackburn said Wednesday. “I think I put a pretty good scare in him, and I don’t expect him to come back.”

Blackburn took one of the animals to the Blossom Feed Store, where they called Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden Bryan Callihan.

Callihan visited the store, viewed the carcass and called a wildlife biologist.

“He checked the carcass and determined it could have been a wolf cross, but it was not a grey wolf,” Callihan said. “He determined that from the claws, the size of the head and the shape of the feet.”

Those at the Blossom Feed Store are not convinced.

“It looked like a grey wolf,” said Charlie Owens.

Blackburn said he was told it was possibly a wolf mix.

“They told me the animals were likely those someone had kept in a cage for a time before they either escaped or were set free,” Blackburn said.

DNA tests are being performed on the animal the biologist said appears to be more doglike than wolflike.

“It weighed 122 pounds,” Owens said.

“That is a pretty big dog,” Blackburn said.

Texas Parks and Wildlife officials in Austin said there has not been a confirmed case of a grey wolf in Texas since the 1970s.

Blackburn is still watching for that third animal and keeping a close eye on his calves.

Posted By: Josey Wales

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 03:40 PM

I wonder how many points agrey wolf would score?

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 03:44 PM

My brother and I saw one in Knox Co in 1996. At first thought it was a deer till we got the binocs on it. It was definitely a wolf. This thing was frigging huge. Never got a shot at it. Not sure if I would shoot now or not. Just can't say till I am faced with the decision.

Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 04:11 PM

WOw! 122#'s is HUGE. I'd like to see a pic of it. Back in the '70's a guy took me deer hunting in Fannin county. He gave me strict instructions not to shoot anything but a deer. I was only 14 or 15 years old. He was set up behind me a ways. After a while this big "dog" came wandering up. I didn't know if it was a wolf, or a big yote or what the heck it was. I just watched it walk on by. After a while he eats my butt out for not shooting the "wolf"?! Go figure. He claimed it was a Timber Wolf, but it was so long ago, I don't exactly remember what it looked like.

Posted By: jdw

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 08:56 PM

if it was a wolf then it was a red wolf which are on the endangered species list. they are a smaller version of the timber wolf. illegal to kill.

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/canirufu.htm

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 09:24 PM

I had a wolf hybrid and she weighed 125 pounds and could probly take down an elk if she wanted too ! eek

I hear teh red wolf population is doing reall good in the last few years in Texas ! Thats awesome ! flehan

Posted By: JCB

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/05/10 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

I hear teh red wolf population is doing reall good in the last few years in Texas ! Thats awesome ! flehan

The Red Wolf is basicly extinct in Texas and just about everywhere else too.

Posted By: BigPig

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 12:46 AM

Use to hunt in Bagoda, close to Paris, and on a few occasions my dad and I would hear what sounded like wolves. One of which after the evening hunt my dad was bringing the fourwheeler to pick me up, during the ride he hears the howl and kicks it in high gear and drives right past me, a few seconds later behind me in the woods I hear a couple of animals running after him. Can't say for sure what they were since it was dark but the 1 mile walk to camp in total darkness was a bit nerve racking. Never saw a wolf there but the locals swear they r there

Posted By: jdw

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 02:41 AM

it could have been a grey wolf/coyote cross. but from what im reading there are no grey wolves or red wolves in texas anymore. but then again thats what they think but dont positively know.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/endang/animals/mammals/graywolf.phtml

Posted By: Bartman

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: DPD
Use to hunt in Bagoda, close to Paris, and on a few occasions my dad and I would hear what sounded like wolves. One of which after the evening hunt my dad was bringing the fourwheeler to pick me up, during the ride he hears the howl and kicks it in high gear and drives right past me, a few seconds later behind me in the woods I hear a couple of animals running after him. Can't say for sure what they were since it was dark but the 1 mile walk to camp in total darkness was a bit nerve racking. Never saw a wolf there but the locals swear they r there

Gee thanks dad!

Posted By: rifleman

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 03:30 AM

Sucks about the guy's calves.

any possibility it is a husky?

Posted By: cleatas

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Bartman
Originally Posted By: DPD

Gee thanks dad!

for real..... crazy

Posted By: doole44

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 12:25 PM

Thats a big dog...

Posted By: dawaba

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 12:33 PM

I don't think there have been any confirmed wolf sightings in Texas in nearly a century. There have been some big coyotes, yes. And also large dogs trending toward the husky/malamute breeds.

NO WOLVES IN Texas.......and we don't need them back either.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/06/10 06:48 PM

Still no pics?

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/07/10 12:34 AM

What about a Timber Shepherd Cross...
Quote:
Gorgeous wolf hybrid puppies. Males only. Walt Disney's White Fang original bloodline. Grandfather, mother, father, and siblings on breeder's premises.

http://www.domesticsale.com/Classifieds/401059.html#bim

- Breed: Wolf, Alaskan Malamte
- Color: Black/white or Silver/blk
- Weight: 90 to 150 pounds full grown

Posted By: barnez

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/11/10 01:50 AM

ran into a TPWD biologist that saw the dog. he said it was domestic at some point in time and had its dewclaws removed.

Posted By: Trust

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/11/10 02:46 AM

I thought, there was a small pack of Red Wolves up around the Childress/Paducah (sp)area on a WMA? Hunted around there about 10 years ago and swear I remember reading something about them during that time frame.

Posted By: nichols

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/11/10 07:40 PM

I live bout 35 miles east of Paris. A couple months ago me my cousin seen what we still think was a gray wolf. Shot it with a 22 but you know how it goes everytime you dont know for sure about something it gets away or is always bigger in your mind. But I confused it for a deer at first glance. It was close to one of our cows with a calf. I have a timberwolf/husky mix and this dog was twice her size. We know all the ppl for miles around and nobody has a dog like that. Could have been a wolf but I guess we'll never know for sure

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/12/10 03:01 AM

I know for sure there have been some wolves shot in the Junctikon area. They came in from Mexico according to the GW that I talked with once about one.

Posted By: RMR

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/12/10 06:28 AM

Can't say I'd want wolves in Texas. That would be pretty scary, hunting out on the ground alone and in the dark like I do sometimes.

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/12/10 06:55 AM

Around 1975 in Jarrell Texas (williamson county) in Septemeber during a dove hunt. What appeared to be a red Wolf came thru our pasture. I spotted him first on the hill side about 1500 yards out. It was huge and I thought it was just one of our calves until it started running towards me. I was only about 10 years old and really thought nothing of it until I heard my uncles yelling at me to shot at it. From all around two uncles my father and grandfather started to unload on it. I was probably the closest to it at around 50 yards but I still got three shots off on it with my trusty 410 bolt action. It survived the barrage I'm sure with maybe a few pellets burried into his fur. We never saw it again but one of the experiences you will never forget.

Posted By: Cea

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 04:53 AM

This was my wolfdog, Thunder. He was beloved & a big lazy lug. One suddenly frozen night he and our two girls escaped their pen. We reported them missing to our local police on Blackburn Street. Michael had once been the mayor. The first female was home the next morning unbeknownst to them. Later in the week, the police called and said & the news reported 3 wolves had killed 6 calves when only 2 were still out. The murderer proudly said he killed the other two. We were devastated. When we asked to see bodies to verify they were indeed ours, Blackburn changed and said he killed one and gutshot the other who ran in the bushes. Game warden told us full blood was a felony but upon inspecting, ours were legal pets. They were well fed lazy pets who had no hunting experience. Still, Thunder's body was never returned. We heard everyone in the man's store posed with his dead body for pictures and that he was stuffed.
Hoping to find my female alive, I looked Blackburn up in the tax records and drove out to the property where he claimed the calves were killed & piled at the back of the property. Not only did I not find my pet wolfdog, I never saw any cows either or even buzzards flying over anything dead. I took pictures and sent them to our insurance company as he was trying to sue our homeowner's insurance. A week later, the police called. They found our female in a completely different direction, terrified & non violent, totally happy to see us. She was not gutshot. We have her second litter of puppies now.
Not long after, I noticed Blackburn's store went out of business and I heard he died of a heart attack. Good! He killed my pet wolfdog, lied about everything, and got what he deserved.
Unless you're being threatened by an animal, especially a dog, don't shoot it!! It doesn't make you a great hunter. It makes you a dead a$$hole. Wolves are endangered!! Keep your bullets to yourself!!
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 11:37 AM

Keep your pets to yourself and they won't get shot.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 02:57 PM

City people should stick to the city. If your dogs are chasing livestock, then they will be shot. Get used to it, hippy.
Posted By: furdown

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 03:30 PM

Yea I wound have shot the he!! out them if they had been my calves, then make you pay for them. I'd shoot em for just chasing cows, he!!, I'd shoot em for just being in the pasture of with our cows and horses.

Moral of story, keep your dam dogs on your land
Posted By: bayourat

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 03:31 PM

Great 1st post, go cry on PETA's forum you'll get more sympathy.
Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 03:41 PM

Quote:
The murderer proudly said he killed the other two.

Go away and get some help..........
Posted By: Xman

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: furdown
Yea I wound have shot the he!! out them if they had been my calves, then make you pay for them. I'd shoot em for just chasing cows, he!!, I'd shoot em for just being in the pasture of with our cows and horses.

Moral of story, keep your dam dogs on your land

X2.
Dogs (from Chihuahua to St Bernards) are free game when they wonder into a pasture with livestock. I once shot a guys Samoyed in Laramie for harassing my daughter's goats inside the pen. I had warned him several time to keep his dogs under control. I took it to the owner's house and threw it's carcus on his living room floor. When he tried to retailiate he ended up in jail with a very expensive law suit against him. It very easily could of turned into a CCW matter. The law of the land (and most states/counties) is that livestock are everything and stray dogs in pastures are expendable.

What Bob said !!!!!!

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 03:57 PM

WWCD??? Shoot. Shovel. Shut-up. I mean, Shoot. reload. Shoot. Then shovel and shut-up.
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 04:21 PM

One more thing. Animals are not people, therefore, they cannot be murdered.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/05/13 04:33 PM

Don't let these guys get to you. Granted the law of that land is that a farmer or rancher can shoot any dog caught harassing livestock. But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

Take a minute to consider the breed of dog in a farmers eyes. We're not talking about a beagle. We are talking about a breed that in all features resembles a known dangerous predator to livestock and small children. This I believe would justify the ranchers decission to shoot.

I sorry for you and your loss. Take a minute to learn from the experience.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 04:29 AM

Quote:
“It looked like a grey wolf,” said Charlie Owens.

Charlie Owens probably has zero real life experience with grey wolves.

Quote:
“It weighed 122 pounds,” Owens said.

“That is a pretty big dog,” Blackburn said.

And it would be a very big wolf for Texas. Even up in Idaho where they are facing mostly a Canadian subspecies of grey wolf most are 101 lbs and less. Given that wolves are clinal where larger sized animals are usually associated with colder habitats, a 122 lb wolf would be very large indeed for Texas. http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2010/02/18/update-on-the-weight-of-wolves-shot-in-idaho-hunt/

As for shooting it, protection of livestock is a valid legal reason. Wolves may be endangered, but wolfdogs are not. A wolfdog isn't a wolf. Thunder isn't a wolf. Thunder is a hybrid, apparently with a domestic dog and as such is not an endangered species.
Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 04:51 AM

Why whine about it here all the sudden after 2 years?

I got to go with everybody else, keep it under control and it never would have gotten shot. In reality, your negligence killed your dog.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 05:16 AM

Double Naught Spy how much do you know about wolves? Studies in Europe and Canada indicate 70% of the wolves killed are yearlings so not fully mature. In Minnesota yearlings weigh 65-75 lbs., mature wolves go 90 lbs to 135 lbs with some exceptional Alpha males getting to 150 lbs. A wolf cross from northern stock crossed with a large breed dog could easily go 122 lbs. What is most likely is it was a pet that got loose or was dumped. (I double checked I used Alaskan weights Minnesota is 70 to 110) The record is 175 lbs in Alaska

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
Why whine about it here all the sudden after 2 years?

I got to go with everybody else, keep it under control and it never would have gotten shot. In reality, your negligence killed your dog.

x2
Posted By: Just J

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
City people should stick to the city. If your dogs are chasing livestock, then they will be shot. Get used to it, hippy.

+1

quoted for the truth around here letting your dogs run cattle is seriously bad etiquette

that being said I saw a red wolf in 1975 east of Buffalo TX as an avid yote caller and hunter there was no mistaking it, yeah I know what everyone reads

heres an easy pic reference

with that said I shot this pic in Young County about last week in October

yeah I know its probably a dog or a coyote or a dog bred by coyotes or a hoax or swamp gas shot taken at about 80yds this photo cropped from that larger one
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Cea
This was my wolfdog, Thunder. He was beloved & a big lazy lug. One suddenly frozen night he and our two girls escaped their pen. We reported them missing to our local police on Blackburn Street. Michael had once been the mayor. The first female was home the next morning unbeknownst to them. Later in the week, the police called and said & the news reported 3 wolves had killed 6 calves when only 2 were still out. The murderer proudly said he killed the other two. We were devastated. When we asked to see bodies to verify they were indeed ours, Blackburn changed and said he killed one and gutshot the other who ran in the bushes. Game warden told us full blood was a felony but upon inspecting, ours were legal pets. They were well fed lazy pets who had no hunting experience. Still, Thunder's body was never returned. We heard everyone in the man's store posed with his dead body for pictures and that he was stuffed.
Hoping to find my female alive, I looked Blackburn up in the tax records and drove out to the property where he claimed the calves were killed & piled at the back of the property. Not only did I not find my pet wolfdog, I never saw any cows either or even buzzards flying over anything dead. I took pictures and sent them to our insurance company as he was trying to sue our homeowner's insurance. A week later, the police called. They found our female in a completely different direction, terrified & non violent, totally happy to see us. She was not gutshot. We have her second litter of puppies now.
Not long after, I noticed Blackburn's store went out of business and I heard he died of a heart attack. Good! He killed my pet wolfdog, lied about everything, and got what he deserved.
Unless you're being threatened by an animal, especially a dog, don't shoot it!! It doesn't make you a great hunter. It makes you a dead a$$hole. Wolves are endangered!! Keep your bullets to yourself!!

Wow what a disgusting person you are, your negligence and your dogs actions got one of them shot and killed and then you throw all the blame on a man who was only protecting his livestock. Now it sounds like you trespassed on his property looking for evidence. Heres a little hint, the buzzards won't be back until spring! then you end your post relishing in the fact that he has died. I'm sorry did I say disgusting, you went far lower than that. You should be seeing your post in the local paper soon, have a good day.
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/06/13 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Cea

Another Greenie fishing for trouble.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 12:40 AM

I do notice that Cea has not responded...good. I love my pets but am also responsible and would not blame someone for hitting them with a car should they get loose in the street. I would be devastated but would not blame others. That said, any pet killing a neighbor's livestock becomes a target as that is their living. May seem harsh but your negligence put them in a situation where a decision had to be made.
Posted By: BAD

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck S
But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

I'm not sure what law book your reading bro but in Texas it don't matter the circumstance. If someone's dog is on your land you have the rite to kill it. I mean you fed a good line of BS there but wow!! It's simple keep your dogs pinned up. I live in the country if my dogs get out of there pen and are cruising on someone else's property regardless if they are causing trouble and they get shot, it's my fault for not keeping them pinned up. It's just part of life.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: varmint111
But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

I'm not sure what law book your reading bro but in Texas it don't matter the circumstance. If someone's dog is on your land you have the rite to kill it. I mean you fed a good line of BS there but wow!! It's simple keep your dogs pinned up. I live in the country if my dogs get out of there pen and are cruising on someone else's property regardless if they are causing trouble and they get shot, it's my fault for not keeping them pinned up. It's just part of life.

You might want to review that law again sir, or enlighten us an post it here.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 01:24 AM

She obviously doesn't know what her dogs cost that gentleman. Six calves at today's market price can easily top $4500 or more. I would hate to have someone smoke my little collie cross, but if I'm not acting responsibly with her it's my fault she ended up dead.
Posted By: BAD

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm#42.092

Ok let me rephrase this. In Texas there are numerous reasons for shooting someone's dog on your property. Of course you can't do it in the city limits but in the country it's different. My point was that the dog doesn't have to have fur or hair in its mouth in order to be shot. A dog trespassing is a danger to wildlife, people, livestock, agricultre crops, ect...all are reason to legally kill it in Texas.
Posted By: wolfshepherd

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 01:55 AM

Wolves are absolutely not endangered.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 02:03 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 02:16 AM

Quote:

Some absolutely are. Grey wolves just came off the listing, but red wolves definitely are.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 04:12 AM

Ok let me rephrase this. In Texas there are numerous reasons for shooting someone's dog on your property. Of course you can't do it in the city limits but in the country it's different. My point was that the dog doesn't have to have fur or hair in its mouth in order to be shot. A dog trespassing is a danger to wildlife, people, livestock, agricultre crops, ect...all are reason to legally kill it in Texas.

Aggressively producing a dead dog to it's owner is probably ill-advised in any conceivable scenario, but it's really, really hard to prevail in court against one who has shot, shoveled and shut-up, regardless of the legal nuances of livestock depredation perpetrated by dogs in Texas.

All that aside, I think we all understand the bond that exists between a good dog and its family. I'm not likely to shoot at someone's setter or lab for being in the same pasture as the cows and I've let lots of bay dogs enter and exit my property unperforated because they aren't really doing anything other than making me angry at the humans who smoke and eat too much to keep up with them. If you actually have animals causing a problem, ventilate 'em - but the assumption of carte blanche to shoot wandering dogs isn't reasonable, neighborly or, IMO, in the spirit of the law.
Posted By: P1DTAY

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Yuuuuup

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 05:11 AM

What GriffGruff said. My mistake was dumping the dead Samoyed in the people's living room floor. It opened the door to a whole lot of unnecessary problems. This was not the first time or the 5th time for this dog. After several complaints to the sheriff and talking to the owner, It was the last time. Like everything else in life, there is a when and when not. Common sense should tell a person the difference. Just because a dog is short cutting hardly justifies killing it. Don't let anger and arrogance be you deciding factor.

I watch the dogs that cross my property and see where they are going. If it becomes a habit, I usually give then a load of .410 bird shot. After the first couple, they usually stop. Probably because the owner get tired of the injuries and the vet bills. If they are a nuisence or a problem I deal with that accordingly too. I had a husky that stole a javelina head and a 10 point muley head I was doing for a Euro mount. I could never prove what happed to the javelina, and I could not get a clear shot when it had the deer head. I only got it back because the dog could not get it under it's back fence to take it home. If you come tell me that you killed my dog because it was killing your livestock, you danged sure better have a carcus to prove it. That may not exactly be Texas Politically correct, but that is the way I understand it. And that is the way I do it. Either that or "Shoot, shovel and Shut up".

Killing a wolf is big news. No wonder everyone knew about it.

State law might say it is ok to shoot any dog in a pasture for any reason or no reason. The laws also says that gay marriage, abortions and Westboro Baptist Church is ok too. My morals and principles tells me differently. Just because the law says it is ok does not make it right.

Posted By: Ryan81

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: wolfshepherd

What are you talking about? If I see him and have my gun he's in danger. rifle
Posted By: wolfshepherd

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 11:07 AM

Grey wolves were being protected in most of the lower 48 but are not an endangered species. Grey wolves are all over Europe, and Asia. Population numbers are through the roof all over the world. Yes the red wolf is but if we're just saying "wolf" I would say it's safe to assume we're talking about the grey wolf. But if not then maybe you were talking about Ethiopian wolves. I would also have to say there is far too little advocacy for the Tasmanian wolf.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 11:43 AM

Read your link a little better.

1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery;

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 11:53 AM

This subject has been discussed here many times and the answer is always the same.

Yes you can shoot a stray dog on your property if it's attacking livestock or a threat to you or your family'

No you can not shoot it just because it's on your property, and the state is very clear when they say wildlife is not livestock.

Posted By: target1911

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 01/07/13 12:36 PM

122lb.....and you say that is a larg wolf????
We just weighed my sisters German Shepard.....103lbs and one of his pups is 98lbs. Wolves can easily out weigh a shepard.
Posted By: chicca

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/19/13 07:08 AM

I have to disgree about them being extinct - we have a pack that lives behind our property in some wooded acreage (about 2000 acres) - we hear them in the evenings, and we are NOT hearing coyotes. Yes, we hear the coyotes also, and they sound totally different. Then, one evening we saw 2 of them trot across the edge of our pasture, much larger than coyotes, and with almost of black blanket across their backs. My husband works for the forest service, and is from western Montana - he has had plenty of wolf encounters and I assure you - he KNEW they were not coyotes. We live in north east Texas, very rural.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/19/13 07:26 AM

Just a side note... Montana has lowered the non resident price of a wolf tag down from $350.00 to $50.00 and you are allowed 3 wolves. Unfortunately this season ends Feb 28th but if you want to go wack some wolves now's a good time to go!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/19/13 07:06 PM

I wish they would open up Wolf hunting in Michigan. My mom had 2 cutting through her yard last winter.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/19/13 07:34 PM

My ol' man killed a few of them on the King Ranch shoreline back in the 60's while running a tug boat up & down the land cut. Pretty much everyone shot one of them when they saw them. Back then, they were considered an animal that just needs to be killed for a number of reasons. I've personally always admired wolves. I've never had calves or other livestock killed by wolves either.

& when I drink too much especially around a camp fire, sometimes I howl like a wolf. I've never called in another wolf that way, only weiner dogs but I'll keep trying.....
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/19/13 09:58 PM

This subject has been discussed here many times and the answer is always the same.

Yes you can shoot a stray dog on your property if it's attacking livestock or a threat to you or your family'

No you can not shoot it just because it's on your property, and the state is very clear when they say wildlife is not livestock.

A threat to "you" is pretty subjective and unless they have a video of the dog all you have to say is it ran at me barking, thats considered "threatening". Anyway, back to the original point, lock up your dogs and this kinda [censored] won't happen.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/20/13 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

A threat to "you" is pretty subjective and unless they have a video of the dog all you have to say is it ran at me barking, thats considered "threatening". Anyway, back to the original point, lock up your dogs and this kinda [censored] won't happen.

While I agree with your last comment keep them locked up, but I certainly don't condone lying to justify what you did. That could and should get charges stacked up on you. Lying to a LEO is never a good idea and to suggest it is very poor advice.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/20/13 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

While I agree with your last comment keep them locked up, but I certainly don't condone lying to justify what you did. That could and should get charges stacked up on you. Lying to a LEO is never a good idea and to suggest it is very poor advice.

I wasn't saying lie about it, but there have been plenty of times a dog has shown aggressive "threatening" behavior towards me. I always shoot a warning shot at dogs unless I have no choice. Typically the warning shot will get them to leave without any further problems. If that doesn't work, well then the gloves are off. My point was simply that feeling threatened is subjective and a dog barking when you walk by it could be considered threatening behavior if you are an 80 year old woman.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/20/13 07:24 PM

For the most part, we as farmers and ranchers, do not have dog problems. We have people problems. The problem is that people do not keep up with their pets.
Posted By: Jangle

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? - 02/21/13 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
For the most part, we as farmers and ranchers, do not have dog problems. We have people problems. The problem is that people do not keep up with their pets.

+1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum