Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant Choke and Shot No.

Posted By: Trust

Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/08/09 11:11 PM

What's your preference for Pheasant? I prefer 6's but was thinking about trying some 4's. I will be using a Benelli M2 for the 1st time this year and open to input on chokes.

Posted By: Bobby B

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/08/09 11:31 PM

I usually shoot 5's thru an IC

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/08/09 11:55 PM

I shoot a Winchester O/U in 20 gauge. No choice on the chokes - they're fixed Mod and Full. For loads I like a high brass #6. This past weekend I fired 6 shots at 5 pheasants and got all 5. The only one that required a follow up shot was a wild flusher that came up about 25 yards out. The first shot from the Modified barrel dropped his right wing and the second shot from the Full folded him. The other 4 all folded dead with one shot from the Modified.

Posted By: kgbill

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 02:56 AM

# 5's and a skeet early. improved cylinder later. Only under the worst of wild flushing circumstances would I use a modified. 5's are the best compromise between knock-down power and pattern density. Good luck and remember to zig-zag!

Posted By: Bilbo Baggins

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 03:57 AM

I do best with improved cylinder early and a light modified choke late season. I shoot #5s all season with excellent killing power with Browing Gold autoloaders.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 02:49 PM

6#'s and LM in 12. Going to try some Fiocchi 7.5 this week also

20 ga IC top LM bottom 5 or 6's... Never been able to get 4 to pattern good enough im Citori

Posted By: flushem_crushem

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 06:43 PM

6's with improved in my Beretta Teknys. Will have the pics over the weekend to show you how well it works. Headed to Dumas in 1 hour. CANT WAIT!!

Posted By: Couzin

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 07:51 PM

Trust: wild birds or released birds?

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: flushem_crushem
6's with improved in my Beretta Teknys. Will have the pics over the weekend to show you how well it works. Headed to Dumas in 1 hour. CANT WAIT!!

You going to be in Oklahoma this weekend?

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Couzin
Trust: wild birds or released birds?

Wild birds

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I'll be heading to Guymon the weekend of the 18th

Posted By: flushem_crushem

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:31 PM

Headed to dumas, TX

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:37 PM

Headed to dumas, TX

In one hour..HA One of these i goping to learn to read, Thoguth you wrote hour north of dumas.

I'm leaving tomorrow for Boise City.. Good luck... Don't forget the lead shoes... doing to be windy : )

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Trust

Nice!!! you going to be west or east of Guymon?

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 09:15 PM

Best shell I have ever found for wild pheasant is the Kent Fast Lead in #5 shot. The knock the crap out of the birds.

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/09/09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Trust

Nice!!! you going to be west or east of Guymon?

West and N. East (out past Hooker)

Posted By: seal lab

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/10/09 02:09 PM

I shoot 7.5 early in season and 5 late in season. I also hunt behind a lab that does a great job at getting the birds that are downed wounded and dead. Good luck and happy hunting, lots of birds in the panhadle this year

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/10/09 04:40 PM

Where can you buys these shells everyone is talking about? I checked with Academy yesterday and they didn't have anything in 12 gauge.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/10/09 06:25 PM

I like to mail order my ammo. Gives me so many more choices and I can shop for the best price/shipping combination. Of these Midway has fairly fast shipping. Able too as they are a Texas company. Rogers less selection, but some good prices at times. And of course Bass Pro and Cabelas will have ammo online that they do not have in stock at the store. You can order Cabelas online and have it shipping to the store to avoid shipping and avoid a possible waisted trip for something not in stock.

www.midwayusa.com
www.ableammo.com
www.grafs.com
www.rogerssportinggoods.com

Posted By: rdh1

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/10/09 09:23 PM

fiocchi golden pheasant #5 OR #6 MOD OR IMP MOD YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG

Posted By: freezerfiller77

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/11/09 03:16 AM

4 shot ic...its worked great for 15years

Posted By: kgbill

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/11/09 03:33 PM

I've been running express long range for my first 2, and 1 3/8 oz kent's for my last 3 this year, with more than a couple of mix-ups along the way. I can't tell any difference, except the price. They've been fried-chicken dead with both.

Posted By: clay breaker

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/16/09 06:00 PM

RDH has it right. Golden Pheasant 5 = Best pheasant load ever imo.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/16/09 06:51 PM

20 ga, 6 or 7.5. Go ahead and use Heavy Loads on the big birds. Choke IC and Mod. Dead.

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/23/09 03:13 PM

Meet it in the middle with #5. Try the Golden Pheasant loads by Fiocci. I buy a case of 2 3/4" and 3". I have used all three #4, #5, & #6. I perfer staying with the #5.

I use an IC on first day, if birds are getting up close. Then switch to Mod. for longer shots as the birds change.

Posted By: rdh1

Re: Pheasant Choke and Shot No. - 12/23/09 05:20 PM

X2 IM

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum