Texas Hunting Forum

South Dakota last week

Posted By: LarryCopper

South Dakota last week - 12/08/22 08:34 PM

Started off a couple of days public, then hunted a couple of days private. All wild birds. Rosie hunted hard for the first three days, but her feet got tore up in the icy cattails and had to sit out day four. The guys we hunted with had a couple of good dogs so we had the bases covered. We stayed on the eastern half of SD during the whole time. Gotta admit I was a bit more wore out than I thought, too. Was running on coffee and Alieve and didn't realize it until I went without. On day three a northern with a bit of snow as coming in. Dropped to 12 degrees quick and the wind was howling. The last spot we hit had more birds than anywhere I've ever seen. Pulled into the field and they were running and flying everywhere. Too many to count, I'd only seen that on TV. I couldn't feel my hands and didn't seem to mind too much. South Dakota never disappoints.

Day one
[Linked Image]

Day two
[Linked Image]

Day three
[Linked Image]

Day four
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/08/22 09:44 PM

beautiful
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/09/22 09:07 PM

Man, that is awesome! I haven't hunted pheasants in 40 years. Used to love the sounds they made when they flushed. What breed of dog is Rosie?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/09/22 09:54 PM

Awesome! up Miss it. frown
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/09/22 11:03 PM

Looks and sounds like a great hunt, you and Rosie did fantastic up up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/10/22 12:54 AM

Glad you got to make the trip. Looks great! I had a trip planned this year for opening weekend, but work got in the way. Was a great week for my business but I was wishing I was in SD the whole week. My old hunting partner got pissed that I couldn’t go and I haven’t talked to him since. Next year I’m there unless some last minute gas compressor overhauls come up.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/10/22 02:13 AM

Awesome!! I made two trips to SD this year. Even in down years - no other place in the country compares to SD for pheasant numbers.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/12/22 02:07 PM

Man that looks like a good time Larry. I love bird hunting in weather like Day 4. Bummer on Rosie’s feet.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/12/22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Elkivory2
What breed of dog is Rosie?

She is a pudelpointer
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/13/22 05:24 PM

Thank-you for the response Sir. Nice looking dog.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/14/22 04:17 PM

Looks like a good trip.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: South Dakota last week - 12/22/22 05:25 PM

great pictures
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum