Texas Hunting Forum

What's your favorite bird gun?

Posted By: RGVshooter

What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 03:50 PM

I wanted to throw that question out there and get a idea of what's popular. Pumps? Autoloaders? Over under's or side by sides?

For me, it's hard to not reach for my 1975 Ithaca model 37 featherlight 12g with a 28" mod choked barrel. It's a natural pointer for me and with Remington heavy dove shot it has the knockdown power for high flying early season dove and chachalacas and using lighter loads it easily knocks down quail at longer ranges than my 20 gauge Remington wingmaster. (Either that or I'm just a better shot with it)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 03:59 PM

That was my first 12 gauge. 14th Birthday and Christmas present. Same day for me.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 05:02 PM

I use an old H & R over under 12 ga. That Mom bought for dad in 1970 at Kmart for $275 (I have receipt) I/C & MOD CHOKES. I've used it on Quail since 2002. I bought a Tristar Magnum hunter a couple years ago and have carried it some but if I was going somewhere that I wanted to make sure I hit what I shoot, I will have that h&r.

I have a 20 ga Ithaca model 37 Ultrafeatherlight that dad bought me in 80 or 81 but it has always been terrible about jamming. Has been back to Ithaca at least twice and to two gun shops in the Dallas area, Last time to Mcllelands and I think it may be fixed now but it has failed me so many times in the field I'll probably never hunt with it again. And please don't take that as me bashing your gun choice because I'm not, I just got a bad one somehow.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 05:24 PM

Great photo.

Beretta BL3 , 20 gauge, O/U with 26 inch barrels bored skeet and skeet. One ounce ounce of number 8 shells.
Posted By: Reata

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 05:41 PM

Parker DHE 16.

108 years old and going strong.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 06:06 PM

Another great picture. Are shells difficult to find for the 16?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 06:25 PM

I don’t have a true favorite but it is between these four. I change it up a lot depending on mood. I really like the 687 SP ll. I get off it at times but always go back to it. This pic was triple on the covey rise on wild quail in 2016 when wild birds were everywhere.
[Linked Image]
Shooting a double on wild pheasant with it after being off it for a while
[Linked Image]
The one I shoot best is a little citori lightning. This is a rare double on woodcock with it.
[Linked Image]
The one that is the most fun is a 410 Yildiz that weighs about 5 pounds. This is a double on sharp tail grouse with it.
[Linked Image]
The one I’ve shot the most birds with is probably a beat up 12 guage citori
[Linked Image]

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 06:30 PM

They are available on the Internet, I get them from RST Shotshells. Mainly because they are the proper length and lower pressure.

Don’t see them much in the local hardware store though. I grabbed the wrong bag of shells when leaving for a hunt one time and didn’t realize it until I got to the hunting spot. Instead of a hunt it turned into a training session for my Brittany. ;-)

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
I use an old H & R over under 12 ga. That Mom bought for dad in 1970 at Kmart for $275 (I have receipt) I/C & MOD CHOKES. I've used it on Quail since 2002. I bought a Tristar Magnum hunter a couple years ago and have carried it some but if I was going somewhere that I wanted to make sure I hit what I shoot, I will have that h&r.

I have a 20 ga Ithaca model 37 Ultrafeatherlight that dad bought me in 80 or 81 but it has always been terrible about jamming. Has been back to Ithaca at least twice and to two gun shops in the Dallas area, Last time to McClellan's and I think it may be fixed now but it has failed me so many times in the field I'll probably never hunt with it again. And please don't take that as me bashing your gun choice because I'm not, I just got a bad one somehow.

When I first got my model 37, I had a problem with every spent shell getting stuck. I would have to use some persuasion to get the empties to eject. Turned out it just doesn't like cheap bulk ammo. Runs beautifully on Remington Game Loads, Federal Prairie storm and Winchester AA's and that's what I stick with.

In addition to my 37 featherlight 12 gauge I also use a 1971 Remington 870 wingmaster 20 gauge with the full choke barrel and a Remington 1187 in 20 with the Rem choke system. Of these 3 shotguns the Ithaca is my go to field gun...
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 08:00 PM

I prefer my beretta 28ga o/u, but the quail are down so I find myself carrying my benelli 20ga because it has a shoulder strap. easier to carry for long periods.

I don't hesitate to shoot my 28ga as far as I'd shoot any gun.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 08:59 PM

Ruger Red Label 28 gauge O/U. I have a beautiful little Parker VHE 20 gauge on a 0 frame I bought years ago, but I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with it. Go figure.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 09:04 PM

Citiori featherweight straight stock 20ga with 24” barrel.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Ruger Red Label 28 gauge O/U. I have a beautiful little Parker VHE 20 gauge on a 0 frame I bought years ago, but I can’t hit the broadside of a barn with it. Go figure.

[Linked Image]

I have an indentical 28 ga. It’s too nice to carry around in the brush. I have a 20 that’s my brush gun.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 09:36 PM

My goto gun is a cheapo Steven's Savage 28 with good baileys.
I have severe bahinck problems and carrying anything above 5-6 lbs. takes a toll.
Not sure of the weight of the Steven's but it is the lightest gun I have ever owned.
I used to shoot SKB .28s. Heavier than the average .28. but it swung well.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 10:38 PM

[Linked Image]

There is a gunsmith in Southlake named Andrew MacFarlane that will bend the stock of your gun under a hot oil machine and make it fit you. he's done several for me.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/27/21 10:49 PM

I have an Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge that I love for pheasants. I have a 20 gauge wingmaster I shoot doves with. For quail my Browning BPS in 28 gauge is a joy to shoot.
Posted By: Longhorn74

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/28/21 12:28 AM

I have three. An citori lighting 16 gauge, citori lighting 20 gauge and a new one I just picked up a Yildze 28 gauge. The yildze really shot well in a hunt last week. 😀
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/28/21 02:20 AM

20 gauge single shot Stevens.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/29/21 04:24 AM

[Linked Image]

Who's that guy looking at you from the tailgate? grin
Posted By: Chet

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/29/21 08:16 PM

I have two. Both 28ga and I've learned I can miss just as well with the 28. The Beretta 686 Onyx swings the best to me(had it trimmed from 28 to 27in and screw-in chokes) but the Franchi Fenice is so so lite and easy to carry it's the choice in my old age.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/29/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chet
I have two. Both 28ga and I've learned I can miss just as well with the 28. The Beretta 686 Onyx swings the best to me(had it trimmed from 28 to 27in and screw-in chokes) but the Franchi Fenice is so so lite and easy to carry it's the choice in my old age.

[Linked Image]

That's probably my #1 complaint of my Ithaca 37 featherlight is it's weight. I guess the lightest shot gun I own is a Remington 1187 20 gauge. Carrying these guns around all day while walking thru fields & woods wears me down after awhile. And I'm in my 50's.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/29/21 10:31 PM

My grandfather always preferred an Ithica 37 in 16ga improved and short. He carried it for years. It never had a problem and weighs nothing. All the blueing is gone and the stock is wrapped with electrical tape behind the trigger guard from a crack. It was shot every day of season and lucky to be cleaned once a year. That shotgun killed thousands of bird. When he retired from Gulf in ‘79 they gave him a new A5 sweet 16. It was still brand new when I inherited it. He didn’t like the weight.

I prefer my old Superposed 20, mod/imp. It’s light, smooth, and still pretty to look at although it’s seen a lot of miles.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 01/29/21 10:57 PM

My little Ruger feels like a feather which is one reason I love it.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/01/21 10:42 PM

For quail my favorite is a CZ Woodcock in 28 gauge. It's extremely lightweight and it fits me very well.
For dove I shoot a Beretta Whitewing in 20 gauge, if it's a water hole hunt I use a Beretta 686 in .410 bore.
For Pheasant I like the same Beretta in 20 or my AL 390 in 12 gauge.

Fit is critical with shotguns.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Reata
Parker DHE 16.

108 years old and going strong.

[Linked Image]

Man that's nice. Have always wanted one exactly like that. I imagine she shoots as sweet as she looks.
Posted By: Blank

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 06:04 AM

Favorite?? A hundred year old L C Smith 12 ga with 26" barrels that was my Grandads. I followed that man many a mile in Georgia quail country, toting a single shot 410. He always let me bust the coveys and shoot first. When he passed, my Grandma gave me his shotgun. I have all the latest superguns for duck and goose shooting, but a ritual is to hunt partridge every year, with this one! With my 70 year old eyes, that broad flat sighting plane still works (being IC and Mod makes my shooting better, too). smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: arandy

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 12:28 PM

After having a second rotator cuff tear I had to quit shooting anything that recoils even mildly. The solution was a Beretta 20 gauge A400 XPlor. Never feel it and it is light as a feather and handles as good as any gun I've ever owned. I'm going to try a 28 breech gun when they become available again because keeping up with hulls is not easy the way the Beretta slings them.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by arandy
After having a second rotator cuff tear I had to quit shooting anything that recoils even mildly. The solution was a Beretta 20 gauge A400 XPlor. Never feel it and it is light as a feather and handles as good as any gun I've ever owned. I'm going to try a 28 breech gun when they become available again because keeping up with hulls is not easy the way the Beretta slings them.

You have to be a really great shooter to kill a Bob White with that 410.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 03:58 PM

My favorite is my Franchi Veloce Squire O/U. It's a two barrel set with 20ga/28" that weighs in around 5.75# and 28ga/26" @ 5.5#.
Very light quick gun.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by First_Chance
My favorite is my Franchi Veloce Squire O/U. It's a two barrel set with 20ga/28" that weighs in around 5.75# and 28ga/26" @ 5.5#.
Very light quick gun.

Sounds like a good one !
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 04:34 PM

My wife gave me a Ruger Red Label O/U in 20 gauge several years ago. It's my favorite.
Posted By: Somebeach

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by FamousAmos
My wife gave me a Ruger Red Label O/U in 20 gauge several years ago. It's my favorite.

I have a red label in a 12 and this is by far my favorite.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/02/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FamousAmos

Yes, I think your wife may be keeper.
Posted By: War

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 07:26 AM

Just an old 870 Wingmaster 12 no rib
Posted By: rioman42

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 03:00 PM

Franchi 48AL 20 ga
i do carry my SBE2 when Phesant hunting
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 03:12 PM

1100 LT 20 gauge Magnum.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by War
Just an old 870 Wingmaster 12 no rib

I also have a 1971 WingMaster in 20 gauge that I sent out to get reblued and the wood refinished

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
1100 LT 20 gauge Magnum.

I gave Whitwing Manic one.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/03/21 07:56 PM

O/U that I cut 2" off the barrels to get rid of the chokes and had cerakoted blaze orange. I call it my meat gun. It's Italian, but crappy Italian, loose (been that way since I got it in 1982), but I have a hard time putting it down for my others.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/04/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
1100 LT 20 gauge Magnum.

I gave Whitwing Manic one.

He's a lucky man. I had one like yours, a Special Field 1100 20ga, English Stock, 21 inch barrel, and a left handed 1100 in 12 gauge all made in the 80's. They got stolen along with several rifles. Those shotguns back then were my favorites of all time, I still haven't hunted with a gun that fit me better than a Remington 1100.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/04/21 12:46 AM

Never miss an opportunity to announce publicly what you've given. Wait, who said that? Oh that's right, no one of importance, ever.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/04/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Favorite?? A hundred year old L C Smith 12 ga with 26" barrels that was my Grandads. I followed that man many a mile in Georgia quail country, toting a single shot 410. He always let me bust the coveys and shoot first. When he passed, my Grandma gave me his shotgun. I have all the latest superguns for duck and goose shooting, but a ritual is to hunt partridge every year, with this one! With my 70 year old eyes, that broad flat sighting plane still works (being IC and Mod makes my shooting better, too). smile

[Linked Image]

Love LC Smith shotguns!

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/04/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Reata
Originally Posted by Blank

[Linked Image]

Love LC Smith shotguns!

Beautiful piece.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 12:07 AM

Some great guns here, I guess my favorite is a Browning A5 16ga, was my uncles bird gun. ave it to my Nephew that was named after his great uncle. Now it is a Beneli Montefeltro 20 for me.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Never miss an opportunity to announce publicly what you've given. Wait, who said that? Oh that's right, no one of importance, ever.

I see people do it on here it all the time. It was reported that one person he gave one promptly put it up for sale in the Classifieds. The person reported to have done so is a regular on here. I hope it’s not true.

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 12:41 AM

Age doesn't make you altruistic.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 01:21 AM

For Dove and Quail (and skeet) either the Superposed or an old Charles Daly. Both 12 gauge, both very similar shotguns....so both point and shoot nearly identical though I use the Superposed the most.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 03:26 AM

CZ Teal 20 gauge
Posted By: Blanco

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 03:48 AM

This is a real sleeper..Pre WWII Marlin Model 90 With double triggers
I did a refurb on this one a few years ago and after shooting it I decided I really liked it.
I used Cerakote on this as I actually hunt with this one and Cerakote is a bit more rugged.
Refinished the wood and added a Kick-Eez pad. It is now my go to Pheasant gun and is very handy.
Every time I take it out to shoot I have to remind myself ...Double Triggers Dummy!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rche

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/05/21 01:58 PM

My 2 favorites - depends on the hunt:
Pheasant and Quail - Benelli Montefeltro semi auto 20GA w/ high brass/heavy load #5 & #6 - lightweight to carry and fast to swing
Dove - Yeldiz .410 O/U w/3" #7.5 - light and accurate - fun to shoot and easy on the breast meat!

Attached picture Benelli 20GA.jpg
Attached picture Yeldiz .410.jpg
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: What's your favorite bird gun? - 02/09/21 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by RGVshooter
I wanted to throw that question out there and get a idea of what's popular. Pumps? Autoloaders? Over under's or side by sides?

For me, it's hard to not reach for my 1975 Ithaca model 37 featherlight 12g with a 28" mod choked barrel. It's a natural pointer for me and with Remington heavy dove shot it has the knockdown power for high flying early season dove and chachalacas and using lighter loads it easily knocks down quail at longer ranges than my 20 gauge Remington wingmaster. (Either that or I'm just a better shot with it)

[Linked Image]

New Browning A-5. I have a Citori but I think it’s too heavy, but then I’m 71.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum