Texas Hunting Forum

Best chokes for quail

Posted By: TexasShooter

Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 12:49 AM

I have not been quail hunting in over 50 years and then didn't have change out chokes. So what chokes do you all suggest I use. I am shooting a 20 ga side by side using 7 1/2 s 1 oz loads. I have been told to use sleet chokes I hinted pheasant last year using an IC and a Mod. We will be hunting farm raised birds over dogs
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by TexasShooter
I have not been quail hunting in over 50 years and then didn't have change out chokes. So what chokes do you all suggest I use. I am shooting a 20 ga side by side using 7 1/2 s 1 oz loads. I have been told to use sleet chokes I hinted pheasant last year using an IC and a Mod. We will be hunting farm raised birds over dogs

You are well informed. I shoot an O/U, Beretta, with 26 inch barrels, bored Skeet&Skeet, with one ounce number 8 shot, and I don't miss.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 02:07 AM

Bill's set up would work great.
I might go IC in one barrel for wild birds.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 02:25 AM

Pen raised birds skeet/skeet or IC/IC will work fine. There is not enough difference on a pattern board with my shotguns to matter much. Wild bobwhite quail I like IC/Mod. Blues I choke IC/Full.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 02:58 AM

Shooting farm raised quail is similar to shooting a parked truck----------- it's almost impossible to miss. So choke is irrelevant.
Anyone who shoots IC on wild quail basically has no idea what they are doing. I shoot full,,, if the bird is close you just track him out to 30 yards before shooting. I"ll bet most of the people recommending IC load their gun with 5 shells,,, we call them 'blasters' instead of hunters.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 04:20 AM

IC and shoot fast.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by nate33
Shooting farm raised quail is similar to shooting a parked truck----------- it's almost impossible to miss. So choke is irrelevant.
Anyone who shoots IC on wild quail basically has no idea what they are doing. I shoot full,,, if the bird is close you just track him out to 30 yards before shooting. I"ll bet most of the people recommending IC load their gun with 5 shells,,, we call them 'blasoters' instead of hunters.

Where do you come up with all of the bullsht you post on the Upland Forum? Do you have a clinic to teach everyone that doesn’t know what they’re doing shooting IC chokes how to “Track” bird with a full choke?
Posted By: arandy

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 11:17 AM

IC or Skeet. I see some of the choke makers are even making an Improved Skeet which should be a good choice.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by TexasShooter

You are well informed. I shoot an O/U, Beretta, with 26 inch barrels, bored Skeet&Skeet, with one ounce number 8 shot, and I don't miss.

OOPS. I forgot to report that I no longer carried a shotgun while quail hunting. I just go to watch the dogs.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by arandy
IC or Skeet. I see some of the choke makers are even making an Improved Skeet which should be a good choice.

up up
Posted By: blanked

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 03:44 PM

Anyone who shoots IC on wild quail basically has no idea what they are doing. I shoot full,,, if the bird is close you just track him out to 30 yards before shooting. I"ll bet most of the people recommending IC load their gun with 5 shells,,, we call them 'blasters' instead of hunters.

This is farthest from truth if you hunt behind pointers. Pointers give you closer shots
Posted By: P_102

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/18/18 09:54 PM

Same ol’chit from nate.....ducks his head in, knocks other hunters/shooters while bragging about himself and then runs away.

P_102
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/19/18 03:34 PM

Let the birds/conditions dictate your choke selections.
Anytime you are hunting over dogs, expect to get closer shots because the dogs will typically cause the birds to “hold”.
This is especially true with pen raised birds as they are not as fast nor do they flush as readily as wild birds. They are not as tough either.
So pen raised birds - over dogs, you can shoot open chokes and lighter pellets with good success.

Wild birds are a little different story.
Dogs will hold wild birds better but wild birds are fast fliers and use the brush cover to protect themselves. They flush erratically, fly low and turn quickly.
Personally, I shoot a 20 or 28ga, IC/Mod, 7.5’s on S. Tx wild birds. During Late season after the birds have been hunted some and the cover gets thinner, I might change to 6’s as the birds start running and flushing early and the shots are longer, but still stay with the same chokes. I’m a pretty quick shot and would NEVER shoot a full choke unless I was shooting a .410. If a bird is out of range for a mod choke… the bird wins and I won’t pull the trigger.

On a side note, I would say that someone that can’t get on a wild bird quick enough to kill it with a IC choke and needs a full choke really has no business hunting wild birds.

Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/19/18 03:58 PM

Well, you need to pattern various chokes and loads. If you are having quail take off right at your feet I think it is definitely possible to over choke. You might want to even try the spreader loads. In a two barrel gun figure modified on the second barrel however on your particular gun you might need full.
I've killed lots of birds with 8/s versus 7 1/2 and you get a few more pellets per load.
I hunt doves with modified chokes and do okay. As I said, you are flying blind unless you put in the boring task of patterning various loads at various distances.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/19/18 07:54 PM

roflmao The clown show has arrived
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/19/18 09:58 PM

Here we go again. A lot of places I hunt, there are no 30 yard shots. You wait that long and they are gone to brush, trees, ravines, etc. I shoot I/C over I/C in an o/u. Nate, I only hunt wild birds. I will be glad to count birds with you as long as we are shooting in front of a pointed dog and not off the top of a truck. Let me see if you know what you are talking about.

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/20/18 12:38 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/20/18 02:21 PM

before screw in chokes, would buy 26" barrel and cut 2" off, worked great

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/20/18 04:59 PM

Same thing a buddy of mine used to do.
He'd cut a side by side off and when the covies would flush, he'd drop both barrels then pick up the birds.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/20/18 05:03 PM

It pays to remember that shotguns are not exactly like rifles. Chokes and gauges are within tolerance ranges and there are back bored barrels, all sorts of stuff going on. You really need to pattern various loads and chokes and see what puts the most pellets in a 30" circle at what you figure will be the average shooting distance.
I know, it is a lot of work and bother but trust me, finding a load that does what you want can make a huge difference.
Posted By: Dogmountin

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/20/18 09:09 PM

threads... food
Posted By: Timn

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/21/18 12:12 AM

I would like to hunt with Nate, I would get all the shooting I wanted before he started lol.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Best chokes for quail - 11/21/18 03:47 AM

IC
Posted By: Tedmatthews

Re: Best chokes for quail - 12/04/18 02:00 PM

I shoot ic.. most of the time I practice shoot and release.
Posted By: rmp

Re: Best chokes for quail - 12/04/18 02:10 PM

Pick a choke, pick a reasonable load and shoot, shoot, shoot. How well you shoot is much more important than the rest.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum