Texas Hunting Forum

Not 1 person reporting quail????

Posted By: nate33

Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/07/18 07:15 PM

Was the hunting that bad ??? My friend in Dryden,Tx ( waaayyy west Tx ) said no birds on his deer lease,,, 6 weeks ago they had a lot of blues,,, even the game cameras did not show them at the feeders,,, he has no idea what happened to them.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/07/18 08:35 PM

7 coveys per day on the Briscoe near Fowlerton. 2 years ago was in the 20s. Last year mostly teens.
Grass is high, heat and scent conditions aren't good, so it should get better.
Only saw one covey of immature birds.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/07/18 09:28 PM

We barely saw dove at the deer lease. Usually they hang around the feeders but not in the last two seasons.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/08/18 05:20 AM

I saw a covey at our lease in Montague. No one hunts them around there anymore but we have a few coveys each year that give us a scare walking to the blind. Saw more dove than ever at this time of the year. Usually they are gone until later Dec/Jan. Lots of ducks too.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/08/18 11:56 AM

I have called three of my goto Day lease folks west and north west of metroplex, and all either said not doing any hunting this year or I want to wait and see and to call them back in a month - ominous signs so far from me. Having to run my dogs at a preserve deal this weekend to get some work in before our Kansas trip on the 16th
Posted By: kindall

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/08/18 06:01 PM

Husband saw a few bobs on the duck lease.
The land will be a subdivision next year. It's already sold, and they will start construction in the next few months.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/08/18 08:09 PM

My buddy is scouting our lease this weekend.
I'm working a pup on pen raised at our farm.
I hope he sees some, I know I will.
Posted By: nak

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/09/18 04:10 AM

One small covey opening weekend, at Gene Howe WMA opening weekend. We did not go back last weekend.
Going to try OK this weekend...but its going to be too windy.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/09/18 04:18 AM

My buddies got a few down in hebronville. Will be out west in a few weeks to see how it goes

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/09/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by kindall
The land will be a subdivision next year. It's already sold, and they will start construction in the next few months.

Would I be a sorry SOB, for thinking about hunting them?
Half of their habitat was gone two years ago, and now they will be losing the rest of it.
At most, its only 2-3 small coveys out there. Under other circumstances, I've aways given a pass on low bird number areas. I'll still probably do the same for these. Maybe run my young pup on them once, just for wild bird experience.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/09/18 02:37 PM

Would I be a sorry SOB, for thinking about hunting them?
Half of their habitat was gone two years ago, and now they will be losing the rest of it.
At most, its only 2-3 small coveys out there. Under other circumstances, I've aways given a pass on low bird number areas. I'll still probably do the same for these. Maybe run my young pup on them once, just for wild bird experience.

They now have new Walmart center on a section that I once as many as 20 on.

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/10/18 06:27 AM

I knew it was going to happen.
Its right off I10 in the Brookshire area. Rice fields that had pasture land bordering them.
Hundreds of sandhill cranes roosted, in what is now new homes.
I don't blame the owners for selling it off. I just hate to see the wildlife gone.
Posted By: Tedmatthews

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/10/18 02:15 PM

Hell no don't feel bad. If you do let me know, where it is.
Posted By: TTT Ranch

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/11/18 09:38 PM

Got in to several coveys on my place in Throckmorton yesterday.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/12/18 02:38 AM

We saw one small covey in Runnel county, but nobody wanted to go back in the area where we usually see more.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/12/18 02:35 PM

Spent 4 days on the Miller Ranch in Borden county last week. Last year there was Quail everywhere, this year I never heard or seen one.
Posted By: Kelulu

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/13/18 01:18 AM

We moved 11 coveys over the weekend in probably 6-7 hours of hunting. Conditions were terrible and got worse as the weekend progressed. The coveys were all decent sized 12-15 birds each.

Posted By: MI2TX

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/13/18 03:11 AM

My experience in southwest Oklahoma was about as bad as it has ever been. Found 2 birds and a covey of 7 in about 7 hours of hunting. Making plans for Kansas and Arizona.
Posted By: doppel

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/13/18 05:05 PM

north of Shamrock looks pretty dismal, 2 coveys in 6miles/4hrs of hunting, seasoned and proven brittany plus trained pup!
S
Posted By: JTS

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/13/18 05:11 PM

The outfitter I hunt with outside of Big Spring said he wasn't doing any hunts this year.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/14/18 11:39 AM

Watching my feeders in Dickens county during archery and gun. I have 4 on 160 acres. 2 years go each feeder had a covey of about 15 to 20 birds. This year 2 have 7 and 8 birds respectively. Have seen no other birds.I have a 60 acre hay grazer field and would push at least a covey of 15 last couple years. I have covered it 2x with my new pup and nothing and nothing this year.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/14/18 05:28 PM

we are barely seeing anything west of stamford. We have agreed to run dogs but no shooting birds unless it's over a 1st year pup and then sparingly.
Posted By: throckmorton_hunter

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/20/18 07:17 PM

Was at the ranch just west of Throckmorton . Deer hunted and drove ranch roads for 2 days .
Saw ONE covey with 5 birds ....
Heard no whistles

Maybe next year ..
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/20/18 08:12 PM

Y'all need to head south. We're loaded in NE Webb County.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Not 1 person reporting quail???? - 11/20/18 08:29 PM

My lease in NW OK -------- last weekend the OK guys hunted for 3 days, saw one covey -------- I doubt if I am going to make the 16 hr drive ( round trip) for that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum