Texas Hunting Forum

BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas !

Posted By: ronlhodges

BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/05/16 10:02 PM

I just wanted to mention me and the wife went to Colorado City, Texas State Park last Friday and while we were there I saw a small covey of BobWhites ! First ones I've seen in 30 yrs out here in W. Texas . So just in case anyone ask there is BobWhite in areas around Colorado City, Texas !!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/05/16 11:03 PM

They are rebounding nicely. Was on a property north of Big Lake and flushed two 10+ bird coveys.
Posted By: Chet

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/05/16 11:07 PM

If you didn't see any last year you just weren't looking to hard.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/05/16 11:19 PM

Great news.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/05/16 11:23 PM

We have a crap load of them in Coke Co.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/06/16 12:31 AM

Collingsworth has a few...... grin
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/06/16 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Chet
If you didn't see any last year you just weren't looking to hard.

Me and the boys hunted Upton County and Midland County last year. We didn't have to look too hard.
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/06/16 01:39 AM

cheers
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/07/16 05:41 PM

I live in and been all around West Texas and they are everywhere this year and in big numbers. Heck I've got a good size covey in my neighborhood in the middle of the city lol.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/07/16 07:08 PM

We have quite a few coveys of bobwhites, south of Big Lake on the place we are trying to lease.
Posted By: fishfree

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/08/16 12:13 AM

Other than vultures, there are no birds out here....STAY HOME!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/08/16 12:36 PM

Good info
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/08/16 09:53 PM

Saw a covey of 10+ Friday morning out where I work close to the airport . I've seen stragglers here and there but not a covey . Good to see them !
Posted By: MMyrick

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/10/16 04:11 AM

Bobs and blues have rebounded nicely in Martin County. Last year while hunting, I had forgotten how well bobs hold and scare the crap out of you when they flush at your feet!
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/15/16 08:45 PM

This may be one of the best years in a long while!
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/17/16 02:35 PM

We hunted the Caprock area (used to be called the Waddell Ranch) outside of Notrees (Odessa) for years. We watched the Blues get decimated by fire ants and drought and be replaced by Bobs. Those Bobs can really populate once they take hold.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/17/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
We hunted the Caprock area (used to be called the Waddell Ranch) outside of Notrees (Odessa) for years. We watched the Blues get decimated by fire ants and drought and be replaced by Bobs. Those Bobs can really populate once they take hold.

You made out like a champ if that's the case.

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/17/16 06:32 PM

Yea, we were VERY lucky. Bill Waddell was the owner. He was also our scout master wink I think my dad paid like .. $60 a year for us to hunt like 9 sections.

It took about a year or two for the bobs to really flourish. Before that, and after, the coveys were so large, it would boggle people's minds. We could spend all day hunting the caprock covey or the dried pond covey, or the coral covey. We'd bust a large covey and then spend the day hunting the pieces.. heh

Those were the days.

I think Bill must have sold the land to some company.. I saw a name started with a V last time I checked. Who knows. Those days are so long gone, but such good memories.

I am getting MY very own (first) King Llewellin setter in a month or so. That was where my dad always got his. I am SO looking forward to it, just not sure if I will have a place to hunt around Bastrop/Austin. It ain't like West Texas, that is for sure frown

Too few quail on my ranch.

R
Posted By: duckbill

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/17/16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

Too few quail on my ranch.

R

If you build it, they will come

Re: BobWhites Spotted in W. Texas ! - 10/18/16 03:45 PM

We actually have about a dozen Bobs I have seen and we have heard the Montezumas, but not seen them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum