Texas Hunting Forum

Herter's Select Pheasant

Posted By: First_Chance

Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/22/16 09:06 PM

Has anyone shot any of the Herter's Select Pheasant loads? Looking at the high brass 20 ga 1oz loads. If so, what did you think? These are a Cabela's product now and run about 7.50/bx as compared to $14-15/bx on other HB 1oz loads.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 12:05 AM

Do the way I do. Take names of everyone who does not reply to your threads and don't reply to their threads.

Cross me off the list. I only shoot 20 gauge 1 ounce Remington, in an O/U bored skeet and skeet, and I don't miss.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 12:25 AM

I have had issues with them cycling my 20 and 12 remington 1100 and 1187. They are also very dirty to shoot. I shoot the fiocchi golden pheasant now when pheasant hunting and the monarch #6 light dove when out for anything other then pheasant only (not counting trap, skeet, sporting clays, and sometimes dove).
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 01:35 AM

I shoot 20ga. 1oz. Remington 7.5 but prefer the same load in Rio.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 02:27 AM

I like the Winchester Super X in my Ruger Red label 12,20, and 28. 1oz in the 20 and 28. 1 1/4 in the 12. I had to use the 12 last couple times out. Covies were flushing before I could get up close.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 12:54 PM

I haven't seen the Herter's in a Pheasant Load.
I have shot their Target Loads for skeet with good results.
I've been using the Fiocchi's in 20 and no. 5 shot (1 1/4 oz) for years and Rio 7.5 Game Loads in 1 oz. They are hard to beat.

Let me know how they do if you try some of the Herter's.
I only shoot O/Us so cycling is no issue.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 01:04 PM

I've had good luck with all Herters loads. The 20 ga 5 shot worked great on pheasant in Kansas this past season.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 02:11 PM

I have switched over to Rio pretty much exclusively. Hard to beat
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 03:03 PM

Have never shot them. I have shot the RIO's and they are great. I roll my own, so I don't shoot much off the shelf stuff but had a hard time getting powder a couple of years ago and tried the RIO. They shoot well.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/23/16 03:45 PM

Good intel guys, thanks.
I tend to shoot Rio's 20 ga 1oz 7.5's also, but was asked to pick up some 20ga HB 1oz #6's for a group S. Tex hunt this weekend and they are a little hard to find. Cabelas said they had the Herter's but when I got there it was a dove/quail load in 8's. so I passed.

I found some Kent Fast Lead 20ga HB 1 oz #6's last night at Cabelas for around $12/bx so I got those.

I'll tell you one thing... As good as this quail season is, it has the upland game loads picked over all over North Texas! I hit Cabelas, Academy, and Dick's and barely put together one flat!!

I was also looking for 28 ga shells in a game load, but there were none to be found... only target loads.
Posted By: MMyrick

Re: Herter's Select Pheasant - 02/25/16 03:53 PM

I have had good results with the Kent. Used them on pheasants and crane.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum