Texas Hunting Forum

Quail/Covey Counts in Texas

Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/09/15 07:09 PM

Okay, I am not asking everyone to reveal their honey hole locations, but what kind of covey counts are you seeing on your hunts? Can you at least provide something as general as South Texas, Panhandle, etc. I am hearing that the covey counts in South Texas are insanely off of the charts. I have similar stories from the Panhandle for those hunting with or behind all of pheasant hunters. Let's hear your stories.....I would have thought we could have seen a thread on this subject by now after having to suffer so long without birds.
Posted By: quailg

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/09/15 08:33 PM

Average of 25 coveys in W Dimmit county.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/09/15 08:36 PM

Only hunting a couple of hours in the morning in Wharton county. Finding about 8 coveys in two hours.
Posted By: Colinus virginianus

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/09/15 11:34 PM

I am seeing 14.1 coveys per man day hunting in South Texas but I generally hunt with another guy so I estimate covey encounters at about 24/25 per day...West of Tilden.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Colinus virginianus
I am seeing 14.1 coveys per man day hunting in South Texas but I generally hunt with another guy so I estimate covey encounters at about 24/25 per day...West of Tilden.

Is that on Briscoe land?
Posted By: Ringman

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 01:00 AM

We lost count. Estimated 25 coveys last Saturday. Met guys coming from another field at the gate. They said they busted up 36 coveys in 1/2 day. Big Springs area.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 01:04 AM

From what I saw just deer hunting down south last weekend, 25 coveys would be a slow day. That would be by lunchtime if not sooner. We should have done a 1/2 day hunt with dogs.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 12:16 PM

Best day so far 15 coveys in Howard County. Not what others are reporting but no complaints from an one who thought it was all over not so long ago.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 01:40 PM

Buddy of mine has a lease in S. Texas and is finding 25 coveys in about 5-6 hours of hunting per day.

Hunted at another buddy's lease W of Abilene last weekend and we found 15 coveys Saturday and 18 Sunday.

Both leases have set their own limits at 10 birds per man and if you bring a guest they shoot off your limit. Pretty smart set up in my opinion. Keeps guys from shooting out coveys and shooting 2-3 man limits every time they go.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 02:54 PM

We found 4 in the Rolling Plains area two weeks ago in a morning of hunting.
High winds hampered our efforts that day.

We have another property south of there we will hunt in two weeks. My buddy there says at least six big coveys thrive on that land. It's about 500 acres.

We are hunting an 11,000 acre ranch this weekend near Midland.
Bobs and blues abound, according to a relative that owns the place and hunts with a passion.

I'll try to offer an update next week on that one.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 03:03 PM

I found 13 coveys in 5 hours the weekend after thanksgiving in Ringgold. Will be headed back up this weekend.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Okay, I am not asking everyone to reveal their honey hole locations, but what kind of covey counts are you seeing on your hunts? Can you at least provide something as general as South Texas, Panhandle, etc. I am hearing that the covey counts in South Texas are insanely off of the charts. I have similar stories from the Panhandle for those hunting with or behind all of pheasant hunters. Let's hear your stories.....I would have thought we could have seen a thread on this subject by now after having to suffer so long without birds.

Webb I see 20 plus coveys a day just driving lease roads.

Insane numbers of blues and bobs
Posted By: quailg

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 03:25 PM

Bill,
It is not on Briscoe acreage.
Posted By: Raymond07

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/10/15 05:04 PM

We are finding about 5-6 coveys an hour on our place in Mitchell County.
Posted By: kgbill

Re: Quail/Covey Counts in Texas - 12/16/15 10:56 PM

We were pushing 9-11 coveys before the cover died back. Now we are seeing 13-14, with a high of 17 across the rolling plains. Keep in mind we are hunting on foot, and chasing singles as much as possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum