Texas Hunting Forum

What's wrong with this paragraph

Posted By: bill oxner

What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 03:19 PM

“Dog on point!” Paul yelled out as he hit the breaks on the 4WD Mule. To the left was an English Pointer frozen in a mott of shin oaks. 3 of us jumped over a barb wire fence, loaded our guns, fanned out and walked quickly towards the dog. Safety off. I got parallel with the dog and the grass in front of me lifted off the ground. It exploded just under the tree tops into 30 bobwhite quail. In one instance I drew and shot twice through the shinnery, splintering tree limbs and kicking quail into high gear.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 03:35 PM

Safety comes off in one motion as you draw the gun. And it goes back on as the gun is lowered.

You shouldn't even have to think about drawing and taking the safety off as two separate actions. I've even been chastised at the range for clicking my safety on and off every time between clays.
Posted By: Cast

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 04:08 PM

They also jumped a fence. Trespassing?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 06:15 PM

He missed.
Posted By: RayB

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 08:54 PM

If he shot through the shinnery he shot the dog.

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 09:06 PM

I found it while looking at the Pitchfork ranch quail hunting for the other thread. Apparently the writer is just a writer and not a shotgunners. I was only concerned about the safety issue.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/08/15 11:59 PM

Well, al least they jumped the fence before they loaded their guns....

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 12:27 AM

I hunt with a friend who has a set of written rules.
Posted By: beatarmy

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 03:19 AM

They are hunting from a vehicle?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 03:20 AM

Safety off too soon and was the fence a boundary to their lease?
Posted By: Bubinga

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 03:44 AM

Safety should be coming off as the gun is being shouldered.

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 11:38 AM

I hunt from a vehicle as do many quail hunters in Texas. My guess that the fence was a cross fence on the Pitchfork ranch. The safety was the only issue I had with the paragraph.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I hunt from a vehicle as do many quail hunters in Texas. My guess that the fence was a cross fence on the Pitchfork ranch. The safety was the only issue I had with the paragraph.

Agree with that.

One other thing, bet crossed the fence would be more accurate. What are the odds 3 quail hunters can jump a fence.

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/09/15 01:30 PM

We generally only put two gunners on the ground with each covey point, but that was a guided hunt with three hunters and a guide. I really don't have a big problem with three gunners on a covey rise.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/20/15 11:38 AM

Safety off
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/22/15 04:37 PM

Any one whose shoots at all 30 quail is bound to miss.
Posted By: nak

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/22/15 10:47 PM

Why was he crawling on his belly though the Shinnery Oak?
Posted By: fishfree

Re: What's wrong with this paragraph - 10/25/15 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
“Dog on point!” Paul yelled out as he hit the breaks on the 4WD Mule. To the left was an English Pointer frozen in a mott of shin oaks. 3 of us jumped over a barb wire fence, loaded our guns, fanned out and walked quickly towards the dog. Safety off. I got parallel with the dog and the grass in front of me lifted off the ground. It exploded just under the tree tops into 30 bobwhite quail. In one instance I drew and shot twice through the shinnery, splintering tree limbs and kicking quail into high gear.

Shouldn't hunt bobwhites with buckshot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum