Texas Hunting Forum

Oklahoma

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Oklahoma - 08/04/15 02:05 PM

Raining at our lease right now. I bet it is going to be a great bird crop this year. Anyone here planning a trip to The black kettle? I guarantee you it will be good hunting this year. Also, I have never looked at the property but there is a chunk of land north of lake Waurika that is public and is open for Quail hunting most of the season (need to check for open dates - they change) I bet it will be good too.

Raymond 07, are you getting back on your lease?

Anyone else hunting Oklahoma?
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Oklahoma - 08/04/15 02:44 PM

CCBIRDDOGMAN,

If you ever need anyone to tag along and show the ropes "mentor" Elcazador and myself are more than willing to fill that spot...

Re: Oklahoma - 08/04/15 02:48 PM

Wish I could, but I have to ask for exceptions to the lease rules just to get to bring the couple of guests that I do get to bring.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Oklahoma - 08/04/15 02:57 PM

Not the lease, just the public hunting land. If there is ever a chance and someone needs a navigator count me in.

Re: Oklahoma - 08/04/15 03:03 PM

I'm sure someone will take you up on that. If you are going to Black Kettle, P.M. me, I will tell you exact places to go that will help you find birds. It's really a nice place to hunt. I doubt we will go hunt any public unless I can talk my buddy into going and checking out the place north of lake Waurika.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Oklahoma - 08/04/15 07:46 PM

I have gotten reports from a ranch in the Arnett area that butts up to the Pack Saddle and they say they are seeing lots of birds. A good derby dog is able to get 2 or 3 finds in 45 minutes and in very heavy cover.
Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: Oklahoma - 08/05/15 12:17 AM

My brother in law lives in Seiling and he said hes seen more birds this year than in the last 10 years up in NW oklahoma.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Oklahoma - 08/05/15 07:43 PM

I went thru there the other afternoon Kevin on my way to Lawton. Pastures look good in that area. up
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Oklahoma - 08/05/15 07:50 PM

We've got Waurika on the calendar. Let us know how your hunt goes. I expect bird populations to be good in all of our usual spots this year.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Oklahoma - 08/06/15 12:17 AM

I own land in Fox and Velma. I saw several coveys over July 4th weekend which is kind of earlier than usual to see coveys. 100 times more quail this year than 2 years ago and 60% more than last year. Actually thinking about doing a hunt in late Jan or early Feb after deer season.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Oklahoma - 08/06/15 06:17 PM

Do lease prices go up when the birds rebound
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Oklahoma - 08/06/15 08:37 PM

I was up at Guymon a couple of weeks ago. Quail are strong but pheasant still have a long way to recover. Sure seeing more antelope towards Hardesty.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Oklahoma - 08/07/15 12:33 AM

I hunted a 5,000 acre ranch that bordered the Black Kettle area last year and we found 2 coveys all day. The weather was terrible (rain and wind), but that still has me a bit skeptical about that area. We found birds all over the Texas Panhandle last year but not much luck over there. It may have been a fluke; i'll be interested to see if anyone has luck there this year.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Oklahoma - 08/07/15 12:34 AM

Can you hunt from a vehicle up there?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum