Texas Hunting Forum

New Mexico Public Lands for Quail

Posted By: quail2

New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 11/29/14 04:34 PM

I'm thinking of exploring Southeastern New Mexico next weekend and looking for some quail on public land. Has anyone hunted the Brantley or any other public lands in New Mexico or quail.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 11/29/14 10:34 PM

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Good luck and post a report!
Posted By: cattle69

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 11/30/14 12:46 AM

Should be good
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 12/15/14 04:49 PM

I've hunted them around Carlsbad. Not much advice to give other than fill up your gas tank and get to driving. Keep your eyes open. that's the only way I know to hunt them in NM.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 12/16/14 05:19 PM

It's been several years, but I hunted a mix of public and private land outside of Loving and I've never seen more birds in my life. We didn't have dogs (really wish we did), but came close to shooting 3 man limits every day we hunted. We would drive around all day and hop out every time we saw a covey and chase after them. We couldn't drive more than 10-15 minutes without seeing a covey of 20-50 birds. VERY rough terrain. My first and only time to hunt blues and it probably spoiled me for life. I cant imagine how much fun it would have been with good dogs as we spent a lot of time chasing and looking for downed birds. Some beautiful country as well. Saw lots of mule deer, elk, caves, pictographs, etc. Makes me want to go back thinking about it.
Posted By: conchovalleyhunter

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 12/23/14 01:56 PM

I grew up in New Mexico and didn't realize how great I had it back then. When I moved to Texas in 1991, the idea of paying to hunt blew me away. As far as quail hunting back home in NM, it's a lot of fun. So many oil field roads cut through that country. Just drive them, kick out the dogs and have at it. According to my best hunting buddy (my dad) numbers are better this year too. My advice, Be sure to have a good pair of boots because you'll be hoofin it all day chasing those blues(great exercise for us fat old guys!) Also, I recommend wearing chaps, snake guards, or upland pants to keep all of the stickers and brush from tearing up your legs. I'm heading that way in the next month to hunt with my dad and his best friend. Those old timers know where the birds are...can't wait! Here's some pics from us last year.

Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 01/07/15 09:13 PM

Quail2,
Did you make out to NM to hunt?
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: New Mexico Public Lands for Quail - 01/12/15 08:06 PM

any updates
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum