Texas Hunting Forum

Saturday hunt

Posted By: magspa

Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 10:06 PM

Had a good morning hunt this past Saturday. Saw a covey crossing a trail ahead so brought the dog in cross wind, she locked up. About 150 yards from there we bumped another covey that was downwind from us, pinned down a few singles afterwards. Next spot same thing happened and she pinned down some singles. Last area we hunted, quartered a large field well. Then just before heading back to the truck we hit the far corner and she locked up. It was pretty thick so i gave her a cue to go flush. And she pinned down 2 singles afterwards. This is her third year and i am really impressed. I do keep the check cord on her though, to bring her in to hunt dead.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 10:18 PM

Great looking point.

Opinion, not fact. Get rid of the check cord and flush the birds yourself.

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 10:22 PM

Why do you say that? Not questioning you. I just want your advice cause it seems like you really know your stuff. the check cord never really catches on brush where i hunt. I usually flush my self but sometimes I get a better shot letting her and she knows the difference.

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 10:32 PM

Collar condition the pup and you won't need the cc. The collar is simply a longer cc. It's been my experience that they're harder to break if you let them flush on command.

I'm done. I'd like to read other opinions.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Collar condition the pup and you won't need the cc. The collar is simply a longer cc. It's been my experience that they're harder to break if you let them flush on command.

I'm done. I'd like to read other opinions.
this

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 11:32 PM

She is collar conditioned to basic commands and whoa (using Bill West method). Just not to hunt dead which i have been working on. I do not want to correct her for something she doesnt completely understand. Any tips for this. She is steady to flush/shot but breaks on the shot. I just could not get her to remain steady after shot training alone. Thanks

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/17/14 11:46 PM

Get a cheap packages of hot dogs. Chop up one each day. Scatter it around. Tell her to hunt dead. Get back to me after one package. Let me know what she does, when you tell her to hunt dead.
Posted By: txdogman

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/18/14 12:38 AM

Get a cheap packages of hot dogs. Chop up one each day. Scatter it around. Tell her to hunt dead. Get back to me after one package. Let me know what she does, when you tell her to hunt dead.

Very good advice right here, also you might try pointing your finger in the general area you want her to hunt.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/18/14 01:34 AM

I like to drag a weenie through the grass for 15 yards or so and let her use her nose to find a piece of the hot dog as the next layer of hunting dead. Not a big fan of telling a younger pointing dog to flush, I will do it with a 5+ yr old that aint gonna regress.

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/18/14 01:59 AM

ok thanks ill try with the hot dog.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/18/14 02:06 AM

I prefer my dogs to break at the shot to prevent loss cripples

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/18/14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked

I agree with that theory also. But when she breaks, her mind is usually set on finding another bird to point. So i have to recall and then bring her in to track and retrieve.
Posted By: Robalero

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/20/14 06:06 PM

Clover looks good! Was that private or public land? Are you gonna have any time off before Thanksgiving? Finn and I are headed to the Longoria unit in Santa Rosa during the week. We'll be on the east side.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/20/14 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked

I prefer mine to hold steady as to mark the birds better to prevent loss cripples.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/20/14 09:47 PM

Work with the dog to get her to recognize your distinct voice when you hunt "dead."
She will begin to know what you mean. Also, I use to do a trick in the back yard--at night in total darkness--throw whatever she likes out in any direction and give her the command--she has to hunt with her nose and not eyes to find it. It worked. Good luck.

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/21/14 03:19 AM

Thanks JJ. this was a small private field that a patient of mine said i could hunt. I have Thanksgiving day off and half day Friday. I could possibly meet up after work during the week.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/23/14 04:01 AM

very good looking point congratulations
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Saturday hunt - 11/26/14 09:13 PM

Bill that's great advise! It will work. I would also chunk the cord as soon as possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum