Texas Hunting Forum

Quail/Bass Swap

Posted By: Chet

Quail/Bass Swap - 11/07/14 10:16 PM

I have 3 pretty fair dogs but can't hunt my lease till 1st of Jan. and not sure we have enough birds to hunt. So I want to make a deal. Take me on a good bird hunt in Nov or Dec and I'll take you on a bass trip in Mar or Apr. You'll be fishing out of a Ranger Z119 Comanche on two fine lakes, Ray Roberts or Fork (your choice).

I've caught fish over 10lbs out of each lake so think I can put you on some nice fish. If this sounds like a deal PM me details on the bird hunt. Let's do this...............

Posted By: General Houston

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/07/14 10:35 PM

Is public land acceptable to this deal?

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/08/14 12:49 AM

Not sure there's public land close enough (4 or 5 hours max) or where you could move enough birds. When I say good bird hunt I would hope for no crowd (private land/lease) and good bird numbers. But I guess I'm open for any suggestion.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/08/14 11:03 AM

If your retired why limit yourself to a 5 hour drive

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/08/14 02:30 PM

My lower back is retired too. But for the right situation I'd drive a long way. What do you have in mind?
Posted By: blanked

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/08/14 08:12 PM

I have lots of suggestions. Here's one. Assuming time is no issue eastern and northern Kansas have recovered from the drought so I would look into the flint hills and WIHAs in that area. Spend the whole month of December take your time if your back limits you. Having bird dogs sitting in the kennel half the season waiting for deer season to end sucks. The biggest thing to do is not limit yourself to texas since your retired. Otherwise your dogs are waiting away waiting for the birds to rebound in texas. There is always somewhere where the bird numbers are positive if your willing to travel

I have more ideas if you want. But they require more traveling. Purchase an RV and you will be living my dream.

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/08/14 09:29 PM

Time is an issue, mother whose health is failing requires me to be handy and more than a couple of days creates a problem. Thanks
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/10/14 05:09 PM

Man you should run up to the Black Kettle for a couple of days. I bet it will be good this year. We have had some great hunts up there even when the reports weren't very good. This year roadside counts are way up in that area.

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/11/14 12:58 AM

Do you know if they allow UTVs?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail/Bass Swap - 11/11/14 01:30 PM

No they do not but the property is not real rough. I have only hunted in the north west corner of it though. The Biologist told me that there are typically more birds in the northern half so that's where we always hunted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum