Texas Hunting Forum

Quail in west or south Texas

Posted By: txbb14

Quail in west or south Texas - 09/24/14 07:50 PM

I have been quail hunting and raising english pointers since I was a little boy. But I bowed out of the game when the birds got so bad. I've hunted both west and south Texas areas but I was wondering where the birds are best right now. I live in Austin now so I'd be able to choose between the south or west side of Texas.

Also, I'm looking into getting a German shorthair puppy instead of an English pointer. To help with dove and duck hunting.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Robalero

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/25/14 12:54 AM

Quail looks good in south Texas right now!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/25/14 01:34 PM

Quail are making a comeback in West Texas also. We saw 7 coveys in 4 hours a couple of weeks ago and we counted 27 birds in one covey. We have bobs and blues all on the same place.
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/25/14 01:58 PM

seen good numbers in Tom Green County.
Posted By: PavurOutdoors

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/28/14 01:29 AM

We have coveys between 15-20 right now in Seymour. Havent hunted them in the previous 3 years because of the drought and they are doing great.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/28/14 02:54 AM

I heard San Angelo area is seeing birds.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/28/14 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: shooterwalter

We are east of San Angelo and didn't see the decline that most the state has reported. It has been many years since I have seen the numbers we have this year though.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail in west or south Texas - 09/28/14 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: shooterwalter

We are east of San Angelo and didn't see the decline that most the state has reported. It has been many years since I have seen the numbers we have this year though.

One of the best leases I've ever had was south of lake Ivy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum