Texas Hunting Forum

Kansas Upland Bird Report

Posted By: danceswithquail

Kansas Upland Bird Report - 09/17/14 01:26 AM

KP&W Posted it today:

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunting/Upland-Birds/Upland-Bird-Forecast

Hard to get a read on it, since everything is a percentage increase to last year -- and last year was pretty close to no birds. From my calling around, sounds like you need to find spring/early summer rains but not a county that got 20 inches or more of rain in June that washed away the eggs and chicks.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Kansas Upland Bird Report - 09/23/14 09:23 PM

Northwest saw "a nearly 50 percent increase in the brood survey compared to 2013"... But 2013 was the worst I have seen it in a decade.
Only one way to find out for sure. Come on November 8.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Kansas Upland Bird Report - 09/23/14 09:52 PM

I was in the northwest area (unit 1 and 2) and heard reports of 30% to 60% over 2013 while I was there. They had good rains in a lot of that area and not so much in other parts of it. They had hail 3 times in the late spring to summer in the Goodland area that got some of the wheat before harvest and stripped a lot of corn. Some beans had to be replanted 2-3 times I was told. I saw birds of all sizes. Seen small birds 7-8 weeks old (I was told by a friend) in groups of 6-8. He told me he had been seeing groups of 8-10 birds in August already before. He was not sure if they had another late hatch or the hail caused them to renest. We herd a lot of birds in grass pastures and in CRP while I was hunting for whitetail last week. CRP was very tall and thick. Lot of clover this year along with Kochia weeds and Sunflowers 5-8' tall. I did not see any CRP being cut for hay this year at all. Did see a lot of cane/grazer standing and cut for hay/silage.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Kansas Upland Bird Report - 09/24/14 04:09 PM

Hasn't kansas been down for years?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Kansas Upland Bird Report - 10/05/14 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
Hasn't kansas been down for years?
Yes & will be for some time even if they get ideal conditions in the coming yrs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum