Texas Hunting Forum

Bobwhite questions

Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 02:18 PM

I have upland bird hunting experience but never have hunted quail. Hope to give it a try this Fall.

Questions:

1. Do bobwhite quail make a distinct sound when flushing (I know that pheasant and woodcock do).
2. What does quail scat look like?
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 07:39 PM

Just the sound of beating wings............
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 08:18 PM

It is indescribable, but you will know it when you experience it. I hope that you walk right into a covey and not be expecting it. It can be hard on your heart. Other than a laughing child, to me, it is the greatest sound on earth.

Quail feces is usually a blackish ball with a white cap that is usually in a double hand full size pile of like-kind. The quail sleep in a circular pattern, tail-to-tail, therefore their "deposits" end up in the same place.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 08:42 PM

It is among the most startling sounds you'll ever hear when you unexpectantly flush a whole covey from underfoot. Maybe like a gigantic super loud rattlesnake might sound when disturbed, if you can imagine.

As has been said, once you hear it, you won't forget it.
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 08:50 PM

That 'pile' is similar to the 'pile' I left in my pants the first time I stepped into a covey!! lol35
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/10/14 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ALM TXhunter
I have upland bird hunting experience but never have hunted quail. Hope to give it a try this Fall.

You don't just decide to take up quail hunting. It's a disease you get when you see a bird dog point and the world stands still.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/11/14 03:55 PM

Thank you all for your responses!
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/11/14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

You don't just decide to take up quail hunting. It's a disease you get when you see a bird dog point and the world stands still.

Well said, Mr. Bill. It is that indeed!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/12/14 02:04 AM

X2!
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/12/14 01:49 PM

Yes!
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/16/14 07:42 PM

Doctors have been treating me for years. They just keep prescribing more quail hunts.
Posted By: PavurOutdoors

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/20/14 07:15 PM

you can youtube quail and hear the sounds they make
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/24/14 04:12 PM

the worst is when you walk through a covey in the dark while headed to a deer blind. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and it will make you hurt yourself.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Bobwhite questions - 09/26/14 02:30 AM

Ditto Bill
I agree with your comments and the world standing still
Posted By: HaveGunWillHunt

Re: Bobwhite questions - 10/10/14 02:25 PM

There are some great comments above and all on the money. The first covey you flush up front are very loud and startling. This can be avoided with a good dog that says hey get over here I am not standing like a statue with my tail straight up, my body contorted, my left paw mid air for nothing.

Quail also have a distinct whistle, there are a few companies that make the whistle call to help locate them if you do not have a dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum