Texas Hunting Forum

Interesting read on qual decline

Posted By: hwillliams88

Interesting read on qual decline - 08/14/14 08:27 PM

An interesting read and theory on reason for quail declines after 2010

http://today.ttu.edu/2014/08/researchers-blood-sucking-eyeworm-a-culprit-to-quail-decline/
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/14/14 10:11 PM

great article and video.

Found is interesting that Texas Tech claimed credit for finding the eye disease when Dale Rollins was talking about it years ago! Either way, it seems to make sense. I hope they are working together to find a cure.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/15/14 02:43 AM

Rain is the answer.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/15/14 01:37 PM

I hope they figure out a way to treat it but not sure how they can.
Posted By: Raymond07

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/15/14 02:21 PM

I think the picture is bigger than rain, in 2010 we had great rain and no birds. I know Dr. Kendall is working on some ideas, not just a treatment, but also a method to distribute it. A lot of people think this could go a long way to helping solve the decline.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/15/14 06:11 PM

Eyeworms have been detected in Bobwhite quail all the way back to 1960. The interesting thing is that the worms are no worse now percentage wise than they were in the 60's. I think we have all seen quail in some outanding eras since then. Eyeworms, in my opinion, are a negative factor along with about 99 other factors that ransack our covies. When I look up the definition of Murphy's Law, a picture of a Bobwhite comes up. As we can see, rain at the right time is crucial. Habitat has got to be there in order for any chance of survival. Hogs and rodents are going to have to be kept in check. And hawks...I don't know how you can control them except with good cover and habitat.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/18/14 07:24 PM

Dale Rollins has retired and is working harder than ever to get the quail decline answers. Good man!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/19/14 01:06 PM

ran of course is essential, but there are other factors, habitat, predators, disease ect

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Interesting read on qual decline - 08/22/14 09:30 PM

I love an article that says we spent 3.5 million doing research to determined that eye worms are in fact a problem with quail and we have no idea how to fix it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum