Texas Hunting Forum

First time quail hunting

Posted By: NEVAGA

First time quail hunting - 08/14/14 01:19 AM

This is going to be my first quail hunting ever but the thing is I don't know where to hunt I know there are alot a places around las cruces but I haven't be able to find any info.
Any recommendations?
Posted By: 3 shots 1 kill.

Re: First time quail hunting - 08/15/14 01:33 AM

Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club. Rub elbows with the right people there and you can be put on hundred bird covys.

Re: First time quail hunting - 08/16/14 01:55 PM

I'm a member of gun and rod but so far I have met a lot a soldiers but not to many hunters
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: First time quail hunting - 08/16/14 03:21 PM

are we talking New Mexico ???

If so I "think" you might be hunting blue quail, just find a place where you are allowed to hunt, drive around until you jump quail or see them running on the ground. When you spot them get out and try to walk/run beside them, one will flush every now and then (shoot) and eventually the whole covey will fly. When you hear them calling to regroup head that way and flush a couple more here and there.
Near water holes is a good place to look for coveys.

It's a fun way to hunt and you don't need a dog!
I hope this helps, good luck!
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: First time quail hunting - 08/16/14 03:22 PM

Hum I guess your question was more about a place to hunt... sorry I can't help you there.

Re: First time quail hunting - 08/16/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
are we talking New Mexico ???

If so I "think" you might be hunting blue quail, just find a place where you are allowed to hunt, drive around until you jump quail or see them running on the ground. When you spot them get out and try to walk/run beside them, one will flush every now and then (shoot) and eventually the whole covey will fly. When you hear them calling to regroup head that way and flush a couple more here and there.
Near water holes is a good place to look for coveys.

It's a fun way to hunt and you don't need a dog!
I hope this helps, good luck!
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum