Texas Hunting Forum

Free hunts

Posted By: bill oxner

Free hunts - 07/19/14 11:10 PM

I just had another offer. A new neighbor told me that he would give me some things for my garden for a quail hunt. I don't have any place to take him. I misunderstood. His family has a few thousand acres south of here. I asked him if they had any quail at all. His reply was that they did but had no bird dogs. I finally got it. He wanted free bird dogging.

I've had dozens this time of the year. How many have you seen dried up come quail season?
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Free hunts - 07/20/14 12:09 AM

Sounds great good luck
Posted By: txdogman

Re: Free hunts - 07/20/14 01:05 AM

Having good birddogs has got me introduced to friends ( some remain very good friends) I would have never have met any other way.
I didn't get invited because I am a really nice guy but because my dogs were pretty darn good and they knew it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Free hunts - 07/20/14 12:23 PM

I'd say that less than 20% of my April invitations ever came to fruit.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Free hunts - 07/21/14 11:19 PM

How do neighbors know how good your bird dogs are unless they are already hunting with you. My neighbors, coworkers have zero interest in upland birds and pointers
Posted By: txdogman

Re: Free hunts - 07/22/14 12:40 AM

Word of mouth. If they're good enough , you won't have to blow your own horn about your dogs , somebody will blow it for you. Then the invitations will start coming in. Living nearby good bird hunting helps too.
Bill I would say that 20% is about right.
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Free hunts - 07/23/14 04:52 PM

In good quail years the number goes up to around 50%, but in bad years it goes to 0%. Unfortunately, it has been several years since we have had a really good season.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Free hunts - 07/23/14 09:50 PM

I was always leary of taking someone I didn't know if they knew how to hunt with dogs.
Posted By: DLFant

Re: Free hunts - 07/29/14 05:52 AM

sad Hunting with dogw is becoming a lost art
Posted By: DLFant

Re: Free hunts - 07/29/14 05:53 AM

sorry that is with Dogs
Posted By: sling

Re: Free hunts - 07/29/14 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
I was always leary of taking someone I didn't know if they knew how to hunt with dogs.

+1

I live on my dove field so I hunt a lot during the week...on the weekends during the season I try to have some different folks out, from work or whatever, some never hunted, some are bringing their son(s) on their first hunts. My dog stays on a lead and I make them all put down their guns and look for birds while my dog works (even though Molly would find them without their help!)

We're just sitting there so I don't have to worry if they understand how to work with an upland bird dog. I'm just not getting my dog shot smile

It's a little off topic, but it's been a really good introduction to dogs for some of these guys....without a newbie ruining a hunt, or a dog getting pelted.
Posted By: CSF

Re: Free hunts - 08/01/14 01:00 AM

Lucky you Bill, good luck!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum