Texas Hunting Forum

food plot for quail

Posted By: wisco-hunter

food plot for quail - 06/26/14 05:00 AM

is there any type of food that I can plant that will grow just about anywhere? Im located about 2.5 hours west of DFW. I've had no luck with sunflowers...
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 12:09 PM

Haygrazer or other Sudan type of grass.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 12:20 PM

Just wait. If you are getting any of this recent rain, your sunflowers are coming. They will surprise you.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 02:53 PM

Yeah- there's all sorts of stuff you can grow. I guess Quail Unlimited went under but try Tall Timbers from Florida- they probably have a list of forbs, crops, etc. You'll need to tailor fit it to your area.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 03:57 PM

Call Turner Seed Co.
http://www.turnerseed.com/site/about.htm
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 09:28 PM

To late for cheap wheat. Hay grazer, Sudan, maize, Red top cane, Milo, soy, guar, oats,mung beans,any grain crops. Or any grass that seeds out (Johnson Grass, etc). Taller crops give the a little more ground coverage. Turn cattle on it in November, December so they will disturb the grain heads. GL and pray for rains
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: food plot for quail - 06/26/14 11:22 PM

I was on a lease north of lake Ivy. We stopped in a rain waiting to go to our pasture. We counted 14 coveys crossing the road from a pasture to a haygrazer field.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: food plot for quail - 06/27/14 05:57 PM

One word of caution, it can be very difficult to develop a good quail situation. Some folks have put in crops etc. but any quail increases get killed off by predators, etc.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: food plot for quail - 06/27/14 08:45 PM

we have 3 coveys now and planning to go to war with the yotes, already have been knocking off the coons and possoms to protect the turkey and quail eggs. Just looking to keep improving, I will probably try the hay grazer. Thanks to all!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum