Texas Hunting Forum

No better sound. bob-white!!!!

Posted By: billyhunt

No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/12/14 09:13 PM

I had said earlier in the year how many cuvy"s were around the house. Now early in the morning and late evening, it"s that pretty sound. I have sooo many pair's, like never in the 18yrs that i've lived here. Wish i could get a recorder that would pick them up, it's great!!!!!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/12/14 09:54 PM

YEP! Music to my ears.

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/12/14 10:01 PM

hey bill, long time no talk (been off here since the new year) it is unreal the quail that have been around the house. I have seen them in up and down year's and never really wanted to hunt'em, but this season, IT'S ON!!!!!!!
Posted By: General Houston

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/13/14 03:16 AM

I have lived in Burnet then San Saba counties for the last 4 years. The first wild quail I've seen (driving, walking, etc.) has been this year. I'm now up to 8 coveys. Amazing what a little rain can do!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/17/14 05:19 AM

I miss the sound of Quail at our place. Pasture is healthier than when we bought it. No broodstock left.
Posted By: passthru

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/17/14 01:10 PM

When I move to the farm I'm going to raise quail for two purposes. To eat and to hear them.

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/19/14 10:34 PM

Well they disced the wheat stubble day before yesterday, thought maybe it would run some of them off. So far it aint changed anything, matter of fact flushed two pair on my gravel road today!!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/19/14 11:03 PM

I've seen plenty of pairs but no babies.

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/19/14 11:40 PM

I had seen all my little one's early spring, i mean right after it started warming. Heck i bet some of the one's i'm hearing could be the smaller one's.
Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/20/14 01:57 AM

I have seen several pairs around Cooke county and like you I hear them every day at my house.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/20/14 02:48 AM

I love the sound of quails early in the morning!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/20/14 02:04 PM

They are active in W. Llano Co. The roosters are up in the trees calling like crazy. Always makes me happy to hear that sound.

This recent rain has the place green, and the bugs thick. Should be a good summer for the birds.

Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 06/20/14 02:10 PM

I had plenty when I bought my place 6 years ago but they gradually dwindled out. It'd been a couple of years since I've heard them but I'm hearing plenty this year! Great sound to wake up to.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/13/14 05:09 AM

They were calling like crazy today up in Montague today. Got there at 4 and left at 8:30 and everywhere I went they were there. Almost ran over a few of them in the overgrown roads. I got some good sound on video I'll post.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/15/14 01:13 AM

Haven't heard that wonderful sound in many years until I got on my new lease in Shackleford Co. Was there just yesterday checking feeder and camera and they were calling constantly. Really great to hear.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/15/14 04:28 AM

I walked up to this guy earlier and he flew off but came right back or had a buddy. You can hear others in the distance. Not bad for less than 2 hours from downtown.

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/15/14 04:40 AM

I tell yall. I am glad I hunted in the 70's and 80's in SE Kansas for quail. It was nothing to kill a limit each and every time out. I loved it. But, today is a different day and quail hunting stinks up there. I hope that they return in my lifetime, but if they don't, I can rest in peace knowing that I was once in Quail heaven!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/15/14 04:44 AM

If you ever read Sam Walton's book, he discusses why he chose NE Arkansas as the home for Walmart. He loved quail hunting and SE Ks, SW Mo, NE Ar and NE Ok was a great place to hunt them. His 13th and final Variety Store was actually in my home town of Neodesha, KS. We saw him every season as he came to hunt quail with his buddies in my hometown.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: No better sound. bob-white!!!! - 07/16/14 05:24 PM

The bob-white sound is cool, but the exploding out from under your feet sound making you nearly fill your britches is not!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum