Texas Hunting Forum

Rain in the rolling plains

Posted By: txdogman

Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 12:32 PM

Straight up two inches last night right here in the heart of Quail country. It raises our total to 7.05 in the last two weeks. Wildlife is flourishing. I saw a pair of Bobs yesterday, hoping they're working on a new clutch. I'm seeing several single [censored] birds but haven't seen any chicks and it's time. The rain is most welcome, our country is looking better than it has in five years. Lots of cottontails where there were none the last couple of years. Playas, all have some water, waterfowl hunting should be great this fall. Birddogs will be at a premium. You guys with extras are holding gold.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 12:59 PM

Great news. We also saw a lot of cottontails on our last outing.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txdogman
Straight up two inches last night right here in the heart of Quail country. It raises our total to 7.05 in the last two weeks. Wildlife is flourishing. I saw a pair of Bobs yesterday, hoping they're working on a new clutch. I'm seeing several single [censored] birds but haven't seen any chicks and it's time. The rain is most welcome, our country is looking better than it has in five years. Lots of cottontails where there were none the last couple of years. Playas, all have some water, waterfowl hunting should be great this fall. Birddogs will be at a premium. You guys with extras are holding gold.

Sounds good, any jack rabbits? Back in 05 they were everywhere. Would give my left whatever for enough birds to get a young dog going.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 06:25 PM

Yes, I'm seeing some jack rabbits. A few being run over on the hi way and that's a good sign that there's a population.
Today, I talked to a cowboy from the sixes and he said he was seeing lots of quail. Little ones and pairs. Keep your fingers crossed.
Same story in Oklahoma, around Arnett.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 06:47 PM

Excellent news, I know Arnett had a good bunch of birds last year so if things are right they should have a bunch his year.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 07:38 PM

2.1 jayton
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/09/14 10:08 PM

Any news on the Panhandle pheasants? Last year was the first time in a long while that I didn't go for opening weekend. The landowners said it wasn't worth the drive, so I deer hunted instead.
Posted By: Texas Shag

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/10/14 12:16 PM

4" in Childress. Brings the 3 week total to over 7.5" for that area. Just what the doctor ordered. It was getting really dry. We have some hold-over birds, but really need a successful hatch or two to keep this going.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/11/14 04:09 AM

Great news!
Posted By: sneakyfletch

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/13/14 02:46 PM

still need alot more
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/22/14 12:19 PM

Plainview has been getting lots of rain. May see some decent pheasant this year
Posted By: Briar Rabbit

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/22/14 11:11 PM

Fantastic! I've been waiting 10 years for a return to the panhandle for some pheasant hunting, maybe this is the year.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/23/14 03:24 AM

Rolling Plains Quail Research's Facebook page shows a picture indicating a potential 2nd hatch. That would be fantastic.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/23/14 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: gspbrad
Rolling Plains Quail Research's Facebook page shows a picture indicating a potential 2nd hatch. That would be fantastic.

I'm seeing pairs which is a good indicator of a second hatch. I have seen very few chicks, may be that the first clutches dried up.
We have had somewhere close to 10 inches of rain in the last month here at Roaring Springs.
I have been traveling back and forth to Amarillo via Plainview and the playa's are full or mostly full. First time in five years or so. Sandhill crane and Goose hunting should be great. It is going to take a machete to get through the weed growth.
No report on Pheasant, I'm hoping the rains got here in time.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 06/30/14 08:49 PM

Wow, big difference in a months time. Went out to my place near Graham and its crazy how much weed growth happened over past month. End of May I was there and was thinking aint gonna be any nesting going on in that thin stuff. Saw first pair in four years one morning.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/01/14 01:20 AM

Sounds great, hope those hens are working their tails off. We had some nice coveys last fall and if enough made it through maybe we have a good second hatch. I've got a year and half old gyp and all she needs is a few birds. I'm guessing where I hunt is about 60-70 miles east of Graham.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/10/14 05:07 PM

Next week the 16th-19th shows a pretty good chance for rain out west and four days in the 80's. Maybe mother nature is going to be good to us this summer after all. She owes us a good one cheers

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/10/14 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Sounds great, hope those hens are working their tails off. We had some nice coveys last fall and if enough made it through maybe we have a good second hatch. I've got a year and half old gyp and all she needs is a few birds. I'm guessing where I hunt is about 60-70 miles east of Graham.

Remind me to never go to New York with you are we will wind up in California with your since of direction.

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/10/14 10:15 PM

OK, now I'm cornfused...Graham is west of Post and Jayton is east of post so where did I go wrong? Distance?

http://www.mapquest.com/us/tx/graham-282920503

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/10/14 10:29 PM

Graham is about 50 miles northnothwest of your house

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/10/14 10:33 PM

Well then, I've gone to the wrong Graham grin But a Graham buy any other name is still a Graham.

Your right, went to google maps and it gave me a different Graham than MapQuest?

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/11/14 08:16 PM

Was there anything in the Graham you went too? Map quest shows no streets just an intersection of two FM roads.?

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/11/14 08:25 PM

Very small town grin but I understand they are getting a Costco.
Posted By: westtex75

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/17/14 11:52 PM

Three more inches along the red river in Childress co. Country looks better than it has in years!
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Rain in the rolling plains - 07/22/14 10:08 PM

how much rain did you get last week?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum