Texas Hunting Forum

Hammer shotguns

Posted By: bill oxner

Hammer shotguns - 04/10/14 11:25 PM

My neighbor and I were making a little run up to Kroger this morning. We saw a hand painted sign which said estate sale. I said aka junk sale. He challenged me and we stopped in. He had a 20 gauge single shot hammer shotgun on a table with a price tag of $170. I went looking for one of those for about three years, finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for $75. I wanted to use it as a training gun where, I would not have to clean my O/U. each time out. I didn't like it. I thought it could be dangerous. I gave it to NSTRA to auction off at a fund raiser.

What are your thoughts on hammer guns?
Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Hammer shotguns - 04/11/14 01:29 AM

I've only owned one gun with a hammer (and I still own it), a Winchester Mod 94, 30-30. I agree with you, it could be relatively dangerous.

When I saw the thread title, I didn't picture a modern single shot, frankly; but an old side by side hammer gun. I'd love to have one of those for dove and pigeon shooting.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Hammer shotguns - 04/11/14 04:15 AM

Curious, but why would a hammer on a single shot shotgun be any more dangerous than a hammer on a revolver, pump 97 trench shotgun, or a Sig 220 ?? Am I missing something?

Re: Hammer shotguns - 04/11/14 12:49 PM

I got mine for shooting pen raised quail when training dogs. I found it difficult and distracting to [censored] the hammer as the bird got up. I was never comfortable about the safety of a cocked shotgun while approaching a dog on point. The safety seems to almost go off automatically with the swing of my O/U.

I invited a friend who would throw his safety off when the dog went on point, but I invited him only once.
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Hammer shotguns - 04/11/14 05:31 PM

I have a 22LR over 20ga Savage Arms with a hammer. Never had single mishap with the safety device. Unfortunately the 20ga firing pin inside the body no longer functions, but the 22LR works fine. It was my first gun 50+ years ago. elmer
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Hammer shotguns - 04/11/14 07:39 PM

Have a old H&R 410 break-open shotgun - (sweaty) thumb slipped one time while cocking, and it fired.
Of course I had it pointed safely (as all guns should always be), so no worries, but it sure surprised me - ; sure glad it wasn't a 12GA.

It's an old gun - and I've never looked into whether its supposed to be that way or broke; (it has no safety). Since then, I test every open-hammer gun I get (pistol or long-gun) to see if it will fire on 'slipped hammer', safety or not.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/02/14 08:48 PM

I have three hammer shotguns, one hammer centerfire rifle and three sidelock muzzleloaders. Somehow I don't feel particularly threatened by this type of ignition system. confused2
Posted By: whistler

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/03/14 08:06 AM

only danger i see in them would be in thumbing the hammer down after cocking it.
Posted By: cody

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/03/14 12:56 PM

I don't care for them. Most shotguns have a lot stiffer hammer than other guns it seems and oddly enough most are pretty flat and hard to get a grip on in a hurry.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/03/14 04:30 PM

My first gun at age 10 was an old .410 break open. Only safety was a half [censored], and the safety between my ears. Despite what lawyers say, an half [censored] IMO isan effective safety device.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/03/14 04:32 PM

The automatic censored feature on this site cracks me up! roflmao
Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/05/14 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
The automatic censored feature on this site cracks me up! roflmao

Maybe if you use a hyphen, and quotes, like this ... "half-cocked".
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/14/14 09:02 PM

Never had an issue with a hammer shotgun, or any other hammer gun. My first shotgun at age 6-7 was a crack barrel 4-10, then moved up to a crack barrel 20. Today I still have hammer shotguns, pistols, & rifles.
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/17/14 01:52 PM

I kinda like them transfer bars these days

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/18/14 10:35 AM

When do you guys pull the hammer back on s covey rise.
Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Hammer shotguns - 05/26/14 09:06 PM

I have many shotguns but I still enjoy shooting a single shot H&R Topper model. I drop the hammer when a shot presents itself. I have never waited around with it cocked. Only a fool would. To my knowledge, all newer hammer guns have a transfer bar that would prevent accidents caused by the hammer slipping out of your fingers. I will eat fried chicken and immediately fire mine in full confidence.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum