Texas Hunting Forum

Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult?

Posted By: shooterwalter

Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/25/14 08:08 PM

With the grass getting greener I was wondering if the green grass makes it more difficult for the dogs to find the quail.

Thanks
Posted By: kindall

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/25/14 09:01 PM

I don't think so, mine found birds 2 weeks ago.
Posted By: 817cd

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/27/14 01:58 PM

Their sense of smell and olfactory abilities shouldn't show any difference in green vs dead/brown grass. If anything not having dry pollen and dust coming into their noses it would be easier. Some dogs can detect cancer just from being near you finding a bird in grass is child's play for their senses. Dogs like pointers' noses, ears, and faces are built to return scents into their face with their nasal exhales and long ears swinging near the ground. Their sight is a matter of contrast, I would guess it would be easier for dogs to spot a quail or others in green than in the brown tall grass the birds are really adapted for but they will rely on their nose primarily.
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/27/14 05:46 PM

I have had some bird dog trainers tell me something similar to the following (taken from http://www.forestandwoodland.org/uploads...white_quail.pdf):

"Surrounded by green grass, the quail's scent is often difficult to smell. What dogs usually smell from a bird are the shed skin cell. So if a quail flies and hides in green grass, initially there are few skin cells for the dog to detect and a strong chemical background odor from the live grass helps mask the scent."

csi
Posted By: Bodie's Dad

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/30/14 01:49 PM

Based on yesterday's 1st day of the Lonestar NSTRA Regionals I would say yes. With thick green grass many dogs had trouble finding birds. Many top dogs found none or only 1 bird in the 30 min run. I think the warm temps also effected the day, but the tall grass was in my option the determining factor.

www.bodieandbuckshot.com
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 03/30/14 02:03 PM

How many birds did you find? Did you advance?
Posted By: Bodie's Dad

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/01/14 02:58 AM

Only found one bird, and did not advance. I forgot to chamber a shell so when I flushed the bird I did not get a shot off until it had made some ground on me. Amateur mistake. After that I was flustered and my boy was running hard to make up for my mistake.

I can take it when my dog lets me down but kills me to let him down.

We will get better, both of us.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/01/14 04:30 AM

I think the warmer temperature had more to due with it than anything. I've seen dogs have no problem pointing birds at good distances in tall hay grass to think it effects them much.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/01/14 01:55 PM

Here's a good article on scenting conditions

Scenting Conditions
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/02/14 07:19 PM

I've witnessed good, seasoned dogs run past quail I could see in the springtime. I don't know what happens on warm days when everything is in bloom, but I believe there are times of the year that scent conditions simply aren't right....or maybe ya'll just have better dogs that I do. wink
Posted By: Chet

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/02/14 11:09 PM

I've experienced the same thing and have always thought that green grass/brush made scenting much more difficult. Especially on warm still days.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/03/14 01:10 PM

I think a lot more plays into the scenting conditions than just green grass. I think Pointer and Chet hit on it, green grass and heat combination.
I doubt my male has a better nose. I always think of him as having a okay nose, the girls have top notch ones. A NSTRA judge corrected me when he had 5 finds in 30 minutes. Plenty of other dogs had birdless runs before his, and after. I still consider him to have a average nose, but he uses his brains. He will change his hunting style to match terrain, and weather conditions. Maybe yawl are right, and him using his brains is why I still find birds in the Spring.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/03/14 05:09 PM

I get a chance on a couple of occasions every year to hunt in S. Texas when we have 12 to 14 dogs on the trucks and run them in pairs all day. it's easy to see it on any given day where the scenting conditions are just bad. Whether it is dry warm windy conditions that are to blame, or early/late season green stuff that contributes. There is a lot that contributes to the overall "scenting conditions" and when a group of 10 or 12 dogs can only find a few birds and be bumping quite a few birds one day and then have the same dogs have a 25 covey day the next day on the same ranch in the same brush management conditions... where the only factor(s) that are different are moisture, temperature, and/or wind, it gives you a good sense on how much scenting conditions not only contribute to overall success, but how quickly they can change for better or worse. This is strictly wild bird experience.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Does the green grass make finding birds more difficult? - 04/14/14 01:57 AM

thanks for replies
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum