Texas Hunting Forum

Panhandle Pheasants

Posted By: klr

Panhandle Pheasants - 09/27/13 03:33 PM

Got word the Panhandle pheasant hunting might be a little better this year according to the landowner where we hunt. Anyone out there hearing in good, decent or bad reports? Trying to plan our hunt now.
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 09/27/13 10:29 PM

I know they have received more rain this year than they have in the previous 3 years. I'm sure overall it will be slightly improved, but that is not saying much. That being said, I can't wait to get up there and find some birds!
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/01/13 10:48 AM

I just spent 2 full days running roads in Deaf Smith and Parmer county Pronghorn Hunting, didn't see a single pheasant. Bab, bad, bad.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/01/13 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
I just spent 2 full days running roads in Deaf Smith and Parmer county Pronghorn Hunting, didn't see a single pheasant. Bab, bad, bad.

That's not what I was wanting to hear.
I had hoped to hunt with the Lions club this year.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/01/13 01:15 PM

According to the Texas Tech Wildlife Management Department, there are no huntable numbers of Wild Pheasant in West Texas. Breaks my heart because we used to go to Channing every year.
Posted By: DuckedUp

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/01/13 01:57 PM

I sure hope they bounce back, killing a wild Texas pheasant is on my bucket list.
Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/03/13 12:50 AM

Very very thin up around Dumas again.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/03/13 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: 3 alarm bbq
I know they have received more rain this year than they have in the previous 3 years. I'm sure overall it will be slightly improved, but that is not saying much. That being said, I can't wait to get up there and find some birds!

This is true but wrong time of the year. North of stratford is as bad as I've seen it still in my life time,
Posted By: Chet

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/03/13 01:20 AM

Your avatar head shot is sure a good looking dog.
Posted By: Briar Rabbit

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/03/13 07:36 AM

I just got in my permitt aplication for the "Hart Lion's Club Pheasant Hunt". It does have a disclaimer for the low bird population, but with that said, I'm still thinkin of sending of sending in for mine, just cause.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 10/03/13 05:44 PM

Post up your known locations, contact information, area, and brief outlooks for Pheasant season this year.
Landowners, Guides, Outfitters, City, Chamber of Commerce, BSA, 4H, FFA, FHA, Church and school org, even out of State, etc are welcome to list their location, services, and contact info. We all know it is going to be a ruff year but lets start a listing to use from year to year.

2012 List
Quote:
Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2012
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...nd_#Post3972230

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 10/04/13 02:23 AM

Thank ya Chet
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/04/13 08:52 PM

I just got off the phone with the people who run the Lions
Club hunt in Nazaerath, they cancelled their 2013 hunt. Also talked to the folks in Hart, they said the hunting should be a little better than last year, but not great. I was told that some of the playas in the area are holding some water, which would make the birds a little easier to find. He also told me that most of the corn and milo stubble will not be bailed this year like alot of it was last year. It was tough hunting last year, but we found birds, really looking forward to getting back up there this year.

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 10/07/13 01:22 AM

Talked to few farmers around Dumas and Sunray and after cutting corn they are saying they have seen fewer birds than last year....Looks like ill be goose hunting opening day.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 11/13/13 01:57 PM

I hunt up by Guymon, OK and it is bad. My Cuz on the farm saw two birds this past summer. Another year with no birds.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Panhandle Pheasants - 11/16/13 04:54 PM

I just got back from Gregory SD an hour ago. Hunted with 2 friends from Missouri, We hunted with Shattuck Hunting and had a ball. Limits all 3 days of the hunt, Darrell and Roxie Shattuck also provide outstanding accommodations. I thought this would be a once in a lifetime hunt. Not a chance! I'm saving up for next year!
Posted By: billypoarch

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 11/19/13 09:35 AM

Going to Stratford opening weekend like every year .land owners have been releasing some birds to help but the wild numbers aren't so good was there last month didn't see any around not looking good anyone is up my way let me know.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 11/21/13 12:27 AM

Dumas
Posted By: AWSjr

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 12/14/13 04:50 AM

How did you do in Stratford? Hunted there three years ago and it was great.

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 01/06/14 02:57 AM

Hunted north of Startford this afternoon...Seen 3 birds, shot 1 and went home.
Posted By: BillD

Re: Pheasant Hunt Contacts, and Locations Sticky for 2013 - 01/06/14 09:43 PM

Hidden lakes hunting resort near Yantis Tx ( Lake Fork area )has 3 European tower shoots scheduled beginning Jan 25, 300 pheasant; Feb 15 with 300 pheasant and March 15 with 500 pheasants. Contact Cord Burnett at 903-335-2200
Lunch is provided and its an afternoon hunt. Dogs and handlers provided and birds are cleaned for you and vacuum packed on ice while you are partaking of your favorite beverage. Reservations are being taken now. They also have quail hunts available. I am not affiliated in any way. Just passing info along for those that might interested.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum