Texas Hunting Forum

NW Oklahoma

Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 02:41 PM

Can someone provide us with range and quail conditions in NW Oklahoma?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 02:46 PM

I'm not in the know, but they have gotten lots of rain and I see birds quite a bit driving around up here for work. Never saw any the last two summers so hopefully it's a good sign.
Posted By: Chet

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 02:57 PM

Have gotten good reports around the Arnett area. More rain, good cover and seeing more birds than last several years.

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 03:07 PM

Yep, that's the area I'm in often. Packsaddle area. I'll probably bring the dog up this year and try it out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Can someone provide us with range and quail conditions in NW Oklahoma?

What part of NW Oklahoma far north west like Boise City or western like arnett?

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 03:56 PM

BOBO, no one place in particular. I used to hunt up there some around Woodward and north of there and just checking to see if the birds were rebounding up there too.
Posted By: Chet

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 08:42 PM

Rebounding as far north as north central Nebraska, just got a report on my dog up there and two finds were on quail yesterday (expecting reports of young pheasants or chickens) . Again they have had lots of rain just like the Arnett area. Enough rain that many pastures not mowed yet and cover very thick.
Posted By: tick-magnet

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/05/13 09:44 PM

The Okla. wildlife dept. will do two roadside surveys, one in August and another in October. They will will report the August survey results in early Sept. on their website. The October survey will be reported in early Nov. as a roll up season forecast. In the past these reports have been pretty good at indicating the general trend. The reports are divided by region.

The western edge and all of the panhandle has not had the rain that central and eastern Okla. have had this year. But they have had some lately. I have had 27"s since the middle of April in central Okla. so the drought is over in this area but the west not so much.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/07/13 02:19 PM

yes - the panhandle is still really reeling. Not sure about NW corner near Woodward, Arnett, Copper WMA, etc.

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/07/13 02:25 PM

Reports are that the Woodward area got a little over 1 inch last night and this morning. Trying to confirm now.

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/07/13 04:49 PM

It's true. I'm up here.
Posted By: tick-magnet

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/07/13 06:54 PM

NorthTXbirdhunter

If you want to know the rain fall in an area you might want to use this resource. I find it pretty handy, and I'm monitoring a couple of places myself. You can click on the state or use the table at the bottom of the page.

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Re: NW Oklahoma - 08/07/13 09:16 PM

Thank you for the resource.

Good Hunting.

Yours in Sport,
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum