Texas Hunting Forum

Choke System for 2 Guns

Posted By: LC QUAIL

Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/17/12 03:36 PM

I use a 12g O/U with IC in the bottom barrel and M in the top for quail hunting. The patterns are good but I have wondered if I need to use a M in bottom and F in the top.

I also have Stevens 311D sxs with fixed full chokes that I would like to use and set up like my O/U. My questions are #1 do I have the correct set up in the O/U and if not what should I use? #2 based upon #1 answer can I open the sxs barrels to match the O/U?

Posted By: RayB

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/17/12 03:51 PM

Trust me when I say I'm no expert, but I read an article that suggested I/C in both barrels for flushing quail. Good pattern out to 30 yards

Posted By: Double 6

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/17/12 10:11 PM

A real Quail hunter should use i/c in each barrel. If you are doing the blue quail thing you might go the mod. choke way.The way I shoot i need the widest pattern available.

Posted By: Sgtpapa

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/17/12 10:47 PM

#1: I like your choices of chokes for the O/U; would use shot size and shot weight selections to "fine tune" my choice of hunting shotshell. Make sure you pattern your gun with the hunting load.

#2: The SxS can have the chokes "opened up" by a qualifid gunsmith IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY. But, first, try using various shot sizes and shot weights in different brands of hunting loads to see if you get the results you want on the pattern board before trying the gunsmith. Mike Allums, Retired USAF E8

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/25/12 01:04 PM

If you want to get a little tighter choke that really patterns well try Skeet 1 and Skeet 2...It will do the job...I've shot
targets well over 40 yds with the Skt 2 choke...Don

Posted By: dobank

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/26/12 12:09 AM

Some people consider Skt2 the same as Lt Mod. It is a wonderful choke and will deliver a good pattern out to 35/40 yards. If shooting over a dog; I used Skt1 and IC. The use of a pattern board will be a great help to you.

Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 03/31/12 11:00 PM

my favorite quail gun is choked skeet and skeet. better to scatter the shot and anything inside of 35 yards you are ok.

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Choke System for 2 Guns - 04/10/12 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Double 6
A real Quail hunter should use i/c in each barrel. If you are doing the blue quail thing you might go the mod. choke way.The way I shoot i need the widest pattern available.

A real quail hunter would use a .410

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum