Texas Hunting Forum

Quail and Oysters

Posted By: ET1

Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 12:32 AM

Last Saturday Bill, and his Cracker, Chris and his Clifford and Sandy, my wife and I and my dogs, Yeats and Zorro, did a lot of quail finding and very little shooting. We shot one bird and we will keep up that pace until this drought is over. It has rained and there is water in these pictures, but the drought is not over so we are being extreme conservationists. The dogs found eleven good coveys.

Yeats (the red setter) and Zorro honoring:

Yeats with the point, Cracker honoring:

Cracker with the point, Yeats and Sandy honoring, my wife with flushing and shooting duty:

My wife trying to flush a single Yeats has pointed. (It was a bit to her right.)

Water dogs:

Clifford, Yeats and Cracker sharing a point or pointing birds spread out in thick bushes:

Sandy on point:

Cracker on point:

Two happy campers:

After the hunt, there were three happy eaters of crab, oysters and shrimp. Poor Chris is alergic so he had to eat tofu. Ha!:

I cannot get the picture of the feast to open.

[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164...12-01-27107.jpg[/img]

ET1

Posted By: blanked

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 12:48 AM

neat pictures. looks like a european hunt the way your dressed.
does bill look european?

Posted By: beginner

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:03 AM

Just to add a few more pics

Yeats

Mrs. ET

Clifford

Cracker

Quarry

Mr ET

Zorro

Sandy

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:05 AM

Sounds and looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing your weekend with us!

Posted By: kindall

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:06 AM

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:17 AM

Only 10 pictures will open per thread. Here's the oyster picture. The seafood came from Airline seafood. I'm goiung there Friday. I have a few pictures from the same hunt. Later;

I'm not sure Cracker was honoring on this picture. She somehow got into the scent cone. ET is this famous downtown litigator.

Yeats made a really wide cast, and stuck the point. ET said that Yeats really prevailed on that one. I had to teach him some bird dog talk. It was a limb find. I bumbed cracker around, and she ended up almost next to Yeats.

Yeats with the point, Cracker honoring:

Posted By: CSF

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:35 AM

Very good pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Posted By: Frank Ujay P

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:36 AM

Some beautiful dogs in this thread

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:49 AM

that red setter is pretty...do they have the same temperament as english setters?

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:50 AM

Those birds look big and slow when you're not carrying a gun. We were treated to a split find after the limb find;

Yeats found this covey after his limb find. I had dinner with Bob Birtrum, and another artist at the first Quail Forever trial. We got into a conversation about taking pictures. They both agreed that the best pointing pictures were taken when the camera was lower. I tried that on this one;

Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:53 AM

Great camera and camera work. Somebody knows there way around shutter speed settings and the like.

Still trying to get my South Texas trip to happen but odds are falling with each passing week. Would love to do the same thing - lots of pictures, lots of food, and a few birds to hand.

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
Great camera and camera work. Somebody knows there way around shutter speed settings and the like.

Still trying to get my South Texas trip to happen but odds are falling with each passing week. Would love to do the same thing - lots of pictures, lots of food, and a few birds to hand.

Do another video. I loved your video from last year.

I have to post a couple for Paulette. Cracker is her baby. We came to a big flooded area. Cracker went right, and we went left. Here she is going away.

Here's how we found her.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 02:21 AM

Really nice pictures! Were there any snipe in that muddy field. I know from another forum that ET like to snipe hunt too.

Posted By: dobank

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:12 PM

Great pics of the birds in the air; Mr Bill are you are as good with a shotgun as you are with a camera. I still think that red setter is going to be a great dog.

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dobank
Great pics of the birds in the air; Mr Bill are you are as good with a shotgun as you are with a camera. I still think that red setter is going to be a great dog.

Chris got the pictures of the birds in the air. He was an opra singer, and a skeet shooter in a previous life.

We also hunted Sunday in another pasture. We found only 4 coveys. There were 13 birds in this covey. Cracker had to hold the point forever, while ET, and Chris got into position. That's one good thing about this area. Birds seldom run.

Pickup time. YEATS!!!!!!!! Don't roll in that. DDT will never let you back in the house.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 01:50 PM

Great pics. Love that Red Setter

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 02:05 PM

Welcome to THF ET Great job.
Beautiful pictures and great essay.

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/31/12 09:15 PM

These stubs or stubble could be called little stumps. They're from cut or shredded sennabeans, which is a woody plant. We wenched my Gator out using one for an anchor several years ago. Chris and I both cringe when we cross them with our UTVs. It seems as if they could puncture a tire, but so far, so good.

Posted By: RayB

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/01/12 02:06 AM

Hey ET1, would you PM me the contact info where you picked up that red pooch?

Posted By: HaskellCoDeerKiller

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/01/12 02:28 AM

That is one fine Red Setter

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/01/12 01:37 PM

He must be in trial. Here you go. His user name is LoboZorro on the Snipe Hunters forum.

http://thesnipehuntersforum.yuku.com/topic/3865/New-Pup-with-Pictures-This-Time

http://www.bdarn.com/celtic/Breeding.html

Posted By: ET1

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/01/12 02:52 PM

I had trouble trying to send a private message. The source of Yeats the red setter is:

Celtic Farms & Kennels, Inc.
Paul R. Ober, President

53 North Garfield Rd, Mohrsville, PA 19541

Phone 610-488-9273

Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/03/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dobank

The answer to the shooting is yes. I've seen him at NSTRA and sporting clays with his 20 ga.

Bill, is this place at Lissie?

Also, pm sent.

Phil

Re: Quail and Oysters - 02/13/12 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked
neat pictures. looks like a european hunt the way your dressed.
does bill look european?

Nope!! I just look like an old bird hunter;

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/11/17 12:43 AM

I got onto Facebook with a bunch of PDJ members. I'm no longer on there. I posted this thread. I thought it might be worth another peek on here.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/11/17 01:01 AM

Looks like it was a great afternoon....

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/11/17 01:22 AM

ET has another red setter which if a full brother to Yeats but not a littermate. We hunted that same pasture Saturday morning into a gusting north wind. All dogs did fine but his setters ruled.

Chris and ET stopped at every waterhole to shoot snipe. There were more shots than snipe.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/11/17 07:19 PM

for the sake of the dogs you should shoot a few birds, it will have no effect on next year's population.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Quail and Oysters - 01/11/17 09:59 PM

Bird hunting and good food..life is good!!!
Very nice post!! Awesome pictures good dog work..congrats
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum