Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd

Posted By: udamdan

Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/26/11 11:17 PM

Can't wait as we are 37 days and a wakeup away from opening day !

Hale County , Plainview Tx we are ready grin

Here is last years video

Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 02:01 AM

Cool video!! I cant wait either!! gettting the dogs in shape and gearing back up!!

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 02:24 AM

Last year and this year are going to be two different seasons... Hope you guys can find some birds.. My buddies around that area, Cotton Center, Hale Center and around say it is a bad year....

Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 03:09 AM

Great video of last years hunt. Those CRP fields have weed growth that is 24 to 36 inches high, in that 2010 video. You can get that kind of growth with good summer rains and with good moisture with green vegetation and insects, a good hatch.

But this summers drought (2011) as we all know was the worse in Texas history. So I hope the CRP fields, this year, will have some cover.

We would love to see the Dec. 2011 video. Keep us posted.

Posted By: sallysue

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 09:46 AM

Yes things will be a tad different this year but I bet we have agood time

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 02:22 PM

I see the northern panhandle is getting some snow today. I'm ready for Dec 3, although I think it will be a down year.

Posted By: klr

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 07:42 PM

Great video. Reminds me of my group that has been hunting that area for 25 straight years. I'll bet your group and my group are not hunting more than 10 miles apart. It will be a little different this year, but while I was up there visiting about a month ago...I saw plenty of birds standing besides county roads. Our group is getting so old that we don't care whether we should many or not. It's the huge BBQ and shrimp boil the night prior that keeps us going back. There have been times due to late night hours that we didn't hit the fields until 11 a.m.Maybe we'll see your group this time around. Good luck

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/27/11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: klr
Great video. Reminds me of my group that has been hunting that area for 25 straight years. I'll bet your group and my group are not hunting more than 10 miles apart. It will be a little different this year, but while I was up there visiting about a month ago...I saw plenty of birds standing besides county roads. Our group is getting so old that we don't care whether we should many or not. It's the huge BBQ and shrimp boil the night prior that keeps us going back. There have been times due to late night hours that we didn't hit the fields until 11 a.m.Maybe we'll see your group this time around. Good luck

Good deal and hope to see ya;ll sometime !

Best of Luck again this year grin

Posted By: Moonie Magnum

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/28/11 06:30 PM

Man I hope yall get some. I usually hunt around the Texico, NM area on the Texas side of the border and our group called off our opening day hunt for the upcoming season because the farmers that live out there said that the drought wiped out all the birds. So hopefully they are wrong and yall clean up. Good luck.

Posted By: deckhand

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/29/11 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
Yes things will be a tad different this year but I bet we have agood time
This year we will have to hunt and hunt hard. Last year was easy. This year will be dues paying time. It will be a good time because of the group of guys that are going no matter what.

Posted By: sallysue

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/29/11 12:01 PM

Too me the most important is to have some nice walking weather like last year

Posted By: lakeluvrJer

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/29/11 06:33 PM

Anybody here ever hunt the public lands or is this all private land people.. I'm thinking of trying the public land opening wknd and wondered if anybody thought it is worth it.. I have private land around petersburg I hunt the second wknd.

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 10/29/11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
Too me the most important is to have some nice walking weather like last year

We Agree along with the lunch buffet food

Posted By: klr

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 11/02/11 12:32 AM

udamdan. I know exactly what barn you guys were in...been there myself. Don't know for sure where you were hunting, but that doesn't matter...but I think I know and we're no more than 4 miles apart. Maybe we'll see you up there. Have a safe trip and have fun.

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 11/04/11 01:23 AM

Will do and yourself kir !

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Pheasant Opening Day Dec 3rd - 11/04/11 12:53 PM

Good job on the video Dan. up
Hope you can find some birds.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum