Texas Hunting Forum

Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/29/11 04:49 PM

A bunch of guy's from here & TGDC are going up to Wakeeney, Kansas the weekend of November 17th - 20th. Any body else want to go? We will split up & hunt different areas but we are all staying at the same motel (super 8 in Wakeeney) & will have a couple of get togethers while we are there to swap stories & B.S. a little, maybe have a cook out or all meet up at a restaurant or something like that. The motel is filling up very quick, so hurry & make your reservation if you want to go. Should be lots of fun.

Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/29/11 04:53 PM

Kevin, are you hunting public or private land??

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/29/11 05:31 PM

Public

Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/29/11 07:18 PM

So far it will be:
Myself
dr730
CCBirddogman
Friend of CCBirddogman
Contractor for CCBirddogman
Son of contractor for CCBirddogman
Cousin's uncle's brother's best friend's grandpa's friend of CCBirddogman (what can he say he's a popular feller!) jk about this one
Stinkbelly
DoubleB20
sigav8r
Rice8207

If anyone else would like to come you're more than welcome to. If you do pm either CC, Stinkbelly, dr730, or myself and let us know. When you call the hotel to book a room tell them you're with the Texas Gun Dog Club and they'll put you in a downstairs room by the door, which is where we are. Everyone can do their own thing and hunt however they'd like and we'll meet up for dinner. This is going to be a lot of fun! There are less than 20 rooms available right now so reserve your room soon.

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/29/11 07:31 PM

I'll be up there the prior weekend, but you guys have a good time!

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 07/31/11 10:45 PM

I sure wish i could, but i'll be tied up with the academy. I can throw out hunting this year!!!!

Good luck to you though!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 08/17/11 01:49 AM

Gonna be alot of fun!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 08/17/11 03:31 AM

We have 10-12 guys going sure and another 6 that aren't sure yet!

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 08/17/11 11:40 AM

I'm sure looking forward to it. It all depends if I get drawn for one of the Texas Public Hunts. I've got a bad case of cabin fever right now....I can't wait for cooler weather!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 03:26 AM

TTT

Posted By: TDH09

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 12:01 PM

This sounds like fun. I already have a trip to Kansas planned for the following weekend or I'd tag along.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 12:38 PM

I'm getting excited about this trip. Cant wait.

Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 01:36 PM

If you don't mind, I may throw my name in the maybe pile. All depends on FB playoffs, etc. I assume we can bring our own dogs?

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 01:58 PM

Absolutely, it's public land we are hunting, we aren't hunting together so to speak, we will split up into safe groups & hunt our own areas then meet up maybe for lunch but definitely in the evenings to tell lies & maybe enjoy an adult beverage or two. Me & my buddy are heading up on the 16th, I think Matthew & Daniel are going up on the 14th. Most everyone else is driving up on the 17th.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/07/11 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
If you don't mind, I may throw my name in the maybe pile. All depends on FB playoffs, etc. I assume we can bring our own dogs?

Facebook has playoff now? hammer

CC is correct. Daniel and I will be leaving Monday the 14th at around 5-6pm, the other guys are leaving periodically through the week. Bird numbers are pretty good up there for a bad drought year and there is also a great mix of quail, prairie chickens, and pheasant. For more info and to become a member check out texasgundogclub.com
Anyone is welcome to come so if you have a buddy or something feel free! The hotel is really filling up fast so call them asap!

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/08/11 01:43 AM

Dang i really wish my pup would be ready. As i already said on TGDF, good luck guys and take some pics for us.

Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/14/11 08:21 PM

Ya'll have fun. Would like to get a report when you get back. Going to Wakeeney, KS myself Jan 1 for 3 days for pheasants. Hunting out of the Saline River Hunting Lodge.

Posted By: Cass

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/15/11 01:44 AM

Sounds like a good trip. I'll be up northwest of there opening weekend and then a little south through the 14th. Otherwise I would join you.

Cass

Posted By: Revoman

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 10/15/11 08:35 PM

Ya'll have a good one. I'll be heading up to Guymon OK to start scouting for deer prior to rifle season the 17th.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/07/11 08:02 PM

A week from now the first group will be headed up to KS!! Can't wait! banana woot

Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 01:35 AM

I am hunting further north from you guys (near Jennings), and a few days later. Never hunted that far north in KS before, so will be a learning deal for my group of 6 adults and 2 kids

Posted By: Cass

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 03:09 AM

Just so everyone is prepared, the weather is looking pretty decent for this year's opener in Kansas. The mornings will be warmer than normal, in the upper 20's.

After tomorrow, no snow is showing in the 10 day forecast. But in 2009 we had a good snow on Sunday of opening weekend, so be prepared.

Cass

Posted By: blkf250diesel

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 02:53 PM

Do ya'll do this trip every year? I would sure like to go next year when little man is older. Maybe I'll ask my buddies and see if they can go with. If that is ok?

I bet this trip is some fun!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 03:10 PM

Several guy's went up as a group last year, but this is my first year, we plan to make it an annual thing. Keep an eye out here & at the Texas Gun Dog Club forum & you will know when we are going next. Everyone is invited that wants to go.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 03:24 PM

I have been inviting people to go with me for about 4 years. Last year I had a couple. This year it got big. I think there are at least 12 going now.

blkf250diesel, is your little man your son or your dog? If it is your dog, you can leave him behind. There will be plenty of dogs. If it is your son, I understand.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 04:23 PM

I appreciate it!

It is my dog Cooper I just picked up from DoubleB20. The only reason I was thinking about taking my dog was for the experience/socialization etc... (leaving him for the boss lady to take care of) He will only be 2 1/2 months old though.

I guess there is plenty of public land/birds to for 12 people? Sounds fun let me see if i can swing it!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 07:09 PM

We'd love to have you man! DoubleB20 is actually coming on this trip. We'll all get there at different times and then divide up and hunt in separate groups. Anyone is welcome!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 07:10 PM

I think we're up to 16 guys now if I'm counting correctly. You'd be 17. And if Brian is cool with it, you could actually see his dogs work.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 08:09 PM

I have heard that you may be riding in my truck and staying in my room. Sounds good to me. How early can you leave. I am ready now.

Posted By: Dave B

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/08/11 11:17 PM

Good luck on the hunt all. Kevin, let me know how you do. I have a couple of places to hunt while I am in KS visiting my daughters during Xmas.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/09/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: stinkbelly
I have heard that you may be riding in my truck and staying in my room. Sounds good to me. How early can you leave. I am ready now.

I wish I could leave now too! I have tried every way to figure out how to go but I just can't make it work this year. I got on the train too late. And I have to go see my grand parents the following week for Thanksgiving.

I appreciate the the chance to ride with you guys. Make sure and bring back birds and good pictures.

Posted By: Josey Wales

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/11/11 02:56 AM

I wish it were any other weekend than that. I would make the 3 hr trek to hunt with you guys! Good luck, and if I can get away on that saturday I'll holler at you guys.

Hey stinkbelly, pm me your number just in case!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/12/11 05:21 AM

So jealous!

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/14/11 01:41 PM

Just in case anyone has the desire, I'll be throwing in my poker chips and cards...maybe I can donate or take some money from you fellas....

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/14/11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Just in case anyone has the desire, I'll be throwing in my poker chips and cards...maybe I can donate or take some money from you fellas....

I posted the same thing on the TGDC site, I also spoke to the lady at the Super 8 & she said we could use the breakfast room. This is gonna be a fun trip.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/14/11 02:38 PM

Let's go hardcore. Let's bet with our dogs! rofl

I just better not end up with English Pointers..... peep

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/14/11 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MSP24

Let's go hardcore. Let's bet with our dogs! rofl

I just better not end up with English Pointers..... peep

In that case, I need to reconsider which dogs to bring.

"I'm all in with my Yorkie"

"What? No, I'm not sandbagging!"

Posted By: CSF

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/14/11 08:20 PM

Maybe we should bet our dogs on Saturday night. Some of us may be willing to let them go at that point.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/15/11 12:13 PM

I don't know how to play poker, but I am willing to try. I have a pomeranian I am willing to bet.

Posted By: kindall

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/17/11 03:49 PM

Here's wishing you guys a safe, fun and productive hunt.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/17/11 08:27 PM

Posted By: Crow Hunter

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/17/11 08:53 PM

Hey guys. I hope you have a great trip.

I've been to Kansas three times since 2009 coyote hunting and I have seen thousands of pheasants. Everyone wants to go to South Dakota (which is a fine state to hunt) but Kansas is the bomb when it comes to pheasants and public hunting grounds. You can not beat the Walk In Hunting Areas.

You'll do great in Wakeeney. That's getting close to where we coyote hunt.

Have a safe trip.

Crow Hunter

Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/19/11 03:48 PM

Stinkbelly - Great to see you guys at Pizza Hut Thursday night! What are the odds?? Over 500 miles away, same day, same place, same time. Neither of us knew the other was even going to be there. Crazy!

Hope you guys found some pheasant and had a good time!!

Posted By: aggie-01

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/21/11 02:38 AM

So how was it? I figured that there would be some daily reports of how it was going with the hotel having wifi.

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/21/11 12:17 PM

It was tough. My group started off good, but it quickly slowed down. I missed one on our first evening hunt. Our second day, I shot three and missed one. The third day, I shot two and missed one. The fourth and fifth day I didn't even shoot.

Most of the group didn't see as many as my group did.

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Kansas Pheasant hunt November 17-20th - 11/21/11 09:25 PM

Any more reports? stinkbelly didn't sound too bad compared to my opening day report. I went 1 for 2 in 2 days of hunting.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum