Texas Hunting Forum

Red setter pup

Posted By: bill oxner

Red setter pup - 01/08/11 05:08 PM

They're not the same as an Irish setter. They're not even mentioned in the old book by Henry P. Davis. ET stopped by this morning to get his new/old book. He brought yeats. We loaded that little sucker into a dog box on my Gator and took him over to my Johnnny house. He didn't dissapoint.

Here's his first point;

He's bad about chasing. I think he hates quail;

He salmmed this one;

Think he'll make a bird dog? Like to have him?

Posted By: sallysue

Re: Red setter pup - 01/08/11 06:54 PM

Great looking pup Bill do they retreive ???

Posted By: Rick Titus

Re: Red setter pup - 01/08/11 11:30 PM

I'm gonna ask again, where did that little dude come from? He must be out of red setter field trial stock?? Celtic Kennels maybe?

Re: Red setter pup - 01/09/11 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: stoptoflush
I'm gonna ask again, where did that little dude come from? He must be out of red setter field trial stock?? Celtic Kennels maybe?

Here you go;

http://thesnipehuntersforum.yuku.com/topic/3865/New-Pup-with-Pictures-This-Time

Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Red setter pup - 01/10/11 02:50 AM

You're posting here with links to snipehunter forum, and ET is posting on the snipehunter forum with links to here.

Anyway, that's a good-looking pup ... but will he point a snipe?

Bill, will your dogs point a snipe. My old pointer, Max, would sometimes lock onto a snipe in cover, and he and the snipe would hold for 30 minutes if I didn't walk on in and break it up.

Posted By: cattle69

Re: Red setter pup - 01/10/11 03:36 AM

I have one and they do retrieve.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/10/11 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 1971snipe
You're posting here with links to snipehunter forum, and ET is posting on the snipehunter forum with links to here.

Anyway, that's a good-looking pup ... but will he point a snipe?

Bill, will your dogs point a snipe. My old pointer, Max, would sometimes lock onto a snipe in cover, and he and the snipe would hold for 30 minutes if I didn't walk on in and break it up.

I never had a bird dog that ever pointed a snipe. There are a few snipe on wet years at our Katy trial grunds. I've nevver seen one pointed there during NSTRA trials.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Red setter pup - 01/10/11 04:55 PM

Sooo, when are getting you one Bill?

Posted By: QuacksnRacks

Re: Red setter pup - 01/13/11 03:50 PM

Good looking lil'O'Dog.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/27/11 03:49 PM

We're going to find him some wild coveys this weekend. This was his last outing. I was at a field trial.

http://thesnipehuntersforum.yuku.com/topic/4017/A-New-Thrill

Posted By: blkf250diesel

Re: Red setter pup - 01/27/11 08:45 PM

That is little guy is awesome. My pointer Gauge pointed snipe in our place in Gainesville. I was really caught off gaurd looking down the barrel.

Posted By: dr730

Re: Red setter pup - 01/27/11 08:51 PM

I have to say, I really like the looks of those red setters. I don't know much about them. I might have to look into them.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/29/11 12:24 AM

That little sucker backed Cracker twice this afternoon.

Posted By: kindall

Re: Red setter pup - 01/29/11 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
That little sucker backed Cracker twice this afternoon.

I see a setter in your future.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/29/11 12:50 AM

I've had one. Her name was Rose;

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Red setter pup - 01/29/11 08:50 PM

[img:left][/img]

I have a setter Named Rosy.

Posted By: Chet

Re: Red setter pup - 01/29/11 10:19 PM

Any Crockett blood in there?

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 12:07 AM

Owner: BILL OXNER
Registered Name: PAULIE'S ROSE BUD
Callname: ROSE
Breed: English Setter
Region: GCT
Sex: F
Date Whelped: Friday, April 10, 1998
Sire: SEE JOHNNY RUN
Dam: ARBUCKLE DESTINY

Number of Times Open Champion: 2
Date of Championship: Sunday, March 10, 2002
Total Open Points: 50

Rose was out of a Destinare bitch, by See Johnny Run. She was pretty good, couldn't take the heat.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 01:10 AM

Guess I'll try again up, does See Johnny Run or the mother have any Johnny Crokett blood?

Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 01:54 AM

Owner: BILL OXNER
Registered Name: PAULIE'S ROSE BUD
Callname: ROSE
Breed: English Setter
Region: GCT
Sex: F
Date Whelped: Friday, April 10, 1998
Sire: SEE JOHNNY RUN
Dam: ARBUCKLE DESTINY

Number of Times Open Champion: 2
Date of Championship: Sunday, March 10, 2002
Total Open Points: 50

Rose was out of a Destinare bitch, by See Johnny Run. She was pretty good, couldn't take the heat.

Bill, didn't know that Rose was out of See Johnny Run.

Two springs ago I was coming back from Dallas after my mom's heart attack. I stopped at a Taco Bell in Huntsville to get lunch.

A guy was there with his wife. He had a hat on with a birddog on it. I ask about it and he said he just moved his kennel from Kansas to around Waco.

He gave me a card and I went "poot" you're Jerry Lewis?

His wife goes you know us, you want to see See Johnny Run, he was in the back seat and they brought him out for me to pet.

Johnny died about 4 mos later, he was a looker, rather small. lean and all muscle, real experience.

Phil

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 03:19 AM

Rosy was whelped Jan 16, 2005. Crockett's smooth mover is a grandparent. Crockett's deep freeze is a great. Tomoka is a great-great, and a great-great-great in 2 places. I don't know the first thing about dog breeding so I have no idea what any of that means. The guy i got her from was a fan of Tomoka, whatever that means...but with the same dog in 3 spots on her pedigree I think she's inbred as hell. "Crockett" appears in a bunch of other spots in her pedigree.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 03:35 AM

Thanks, don't follow setters much but J Crockett was a big deal and she looks like a Crockett dog...........

Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: beatarmy
Rosy was whelped Jan 16, 2005. Crockett's smooth mover is a grandparent. Crockett's deep freeze is a great. Tomoka is a great-great, and a great-great-great in 2 places. I don't know the first thing about dog breeding so I have no idea what any of that means. The guy i got her from was a fan of Tomoka, whatever that means...but with the same dog in 3 spots on her pedigree I think she's inbred as hell. "Crockett" appears in a bunch of other spots in her pedigree.

In bred or not, she's a good looking pup, even if she does have long hair. violin

By the way, my little girl has a bit of inbreeding. go boy's Shadow top & bottom on sires side, Miller, Miller every where. hammer

Posted By: kindall

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Stick 711
Originally Posted By: beatarmy

In bred or not, she's a good looking pup, even if she does have long hair. violin

By the way, my little girl has a bit of inbreeding. go boy's Shadow top & bottom on sires side, Miller, Miller every where. hammer

Its linebreeding, when done by a very experienced breeder.

Posted By: blanked

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 06:06 AM

inbreeding is done by very experineced breeders too.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 11:58 AM

Don't study about the hijacks on my threads. I like them. Dogs are out of the females, by the male. My Rose had three hall of famers as grandparents. She was probably better than my cracker pointer, but simply not in the hunt with Cookie.

Pedigrees don't make the bird dog, but they're a good place to start.

Re: Red setter pup - 01/30/11 01:42 PM

"Dogs are out of the females, by the male."

Translation?

Re: Red setter pup - 03/29/11 02:50 PM

That little sucker is almost grown. I've forgotten how much wild birds will do for bird dog pups. ET had some anxiety, about owning, and hanling a pointing dog. I assured him that the pup would teach him more than he would ever teach the pup. He just taught him some manners around tha house and took him hunting.

Here he was Sunday on wild birds;

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Red setter pup - 03/29/11 02:54 PM

Man he's purty.

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Red setter pup - 03/29/11 05:02 PM

Pedigrees don't make the bird dog, but they're a good place to start.

and

I've forgotten how much wild birds will do for bird dog pups. ET had some anxiety, about owning, and hanling a pointing dog. I assured him that the pup would teach him more than he would ever teach the pup. He just taught him some manners around tha house and took him hunting.

Truer words were never spoken

Re: Red setter pup - 03/29/11 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Translation?

That's what we learned in Animal Husbandry in high school. You can reaffirm it by looking at the dams and sires in The American Field.

ET took that picture with his cell phone. You can see that he was close enough to flush. He wrote that Yeats stood still until the birds flushed. He's learned that he can't catch them. The pictures on page one are the only ones you'll ever see of Yeats on birds with the CC.

Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Red setter pup - 03/30/11 12:40 PM

Great looking setter. You don't see many of those around here.

Posted By: dobank

Re: Red setter pup - 03/30/11 01:19 PM

That is one classy pup with style and looks intense on his point. Is there any Irish setter blood or were these developed some other way? Been out of pointing dogs so long; this is the only one I have ever seen. Good luck on his development; looks as if you have him started correctly.

Re: Red setter pup - 03/30/11 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Translation?

That's what we learned in Animal Husbandry in high school. You can reaffirm it by looking at the dams and sires in The American Field.

The discusion was about inbreeding and line breeding, just not sure what you were saying there? I think we all know how dam and sire are noted.

Re: Red setter pup - 03/30/11 04:23 PM

I was relpying to this;

"Bill, didn't know that Rose was out of See Johnny Run."

See Johnny Run was the stud. We were not on the same page. Rose was by See Johnny Run, not out of See Johnny Run.

Re: Red setter pup - 03/30/11 04:33 PM

Got ya, I guess the confusion is you answered a blanked's post.

Posted By: cattle69

Re: Red setter pup - 04/01/11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: dobank
Is there any Irish setter blood or were these developed some other way?

To my knowledge and anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The red setters were developed by crossing irish setters and english setters. They did this because of the irish setters getting away from the hunting aspects. I took many years but this is how the red setters were developed.

Re: Red setter pup - 02/26/12 12:06 AM

That little sucker turns 17 months old next Friday. I think he would have won an AA horseback AKC trial today. He had 4 clean covey finds, and was always to the front, except for one little loop to the back. ET1 likes him so well that he got a full brother, out of another litter. He brought the pup along today. He's already broke to the gun. His name is Beckett. You'll be seening some pictures of him on here but, meanwhile here's Yeats all grown up;

Re: Red setter pup - 03/12/12 12:50 AM

ET is a little shy. Here's Beckett from another forum. I just copied the link;

<http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164...12-02-25060.jpg>

Posted By: RayB

Re: Red setter pup - 03/12/12 01:05 AM

I never could get the guy he bought his from to call me back or answer an e-mail

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum