Texas Hunting Forum

New Years Day

Posted By: beginner

New Years Day - 01/04/11 12:01 AM

Just thought I would post a few pics of the New Years Day Hunt.

Clifford on Point

Clifford Holding Point Covey in Air

Sandy on Point

Sandy holding Point

South Texas Sunset

Great Way to Kick-off the New Year and Sandy's first hunt on wild quail.

Happy New Year to all.

Chris

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 12:11 AM

Great pictures!! I liked Sandy from the day I met her.

Posted By: blanked

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 04:17 PM

i like it! must be great bird numbers for the first hunt to turn out like that .

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 04:40 PM

How many birds in the air on the third picture? How many total coveys?

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 05:05 PM

Great pictures.

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 11:26 PM

Great pics Chris,
Looks like your dogs did well with their training and remembered all of their lessons! You are lucky to have some birds for your dogs.

Posted By: thomas_z71

Re: New Years Day - 01/04/11 11:40 PM

Love those dogs, they are beautiful!!

Posted By: beginner

Re: New Years Day - 01/06/11 02:23 AM

I guess I've been lucky. Clifford is out of Ronnie Smith kennels and Sandy is out of Rick Smith kennels. Of course Ronnie has been responsible for all of the training.

We didn't hunt long that day, 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. We moved 4 coveys each time and were never out of birds for more than 15 minutes. Since this was Sandys first opportunity on wild birds I really concentrated on the dog work, only shot 4 birds out of the 50+ we saw.

Sandy had an amazing transition from Friday afternoon, moved 3 coveys in 1 hour, to Saturday afternoon. By Saturday afternoon she was pointing coveys that would hold and trying to track ones on the move. Don't you wish every transition from pen raised to wild went this smooth? We will be back down this weekend and I'm sure it will be a "train wreck". But that's ok, Clifford will be steady and Sandy will continue in her learning

I'll update everyone when we get back to town

Chris

Posted By: dr730

Re: New Years Day - 01/06/11 03:46 AM

Great pics! Keep us posted!

Re: New Years Day - 01/06/11 10:32 PM

It's a fine line between steady to flush and steady to wing. The pup still on point while the birds are in the air indicates pretty well broke hunting dogs.

Re: New Years Day - 01/23/11 12:39 AM

Chris just called. He was excited. He was on his way back home from south Texas. They pointed 13 coveys today. I can't believe that I turned down the invite, to shoot 4 birds at a NSTRA trial. Never again!!!!!!!

Posted By: blkf250diesel

Re: New Years Day - 01/24/11 09:01 PM

Those pictures are great. Sandy is a pretty dog.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum