Texas Hunting Forum

GSP Eye Trouble

Posted By: Rick Titus

GSP Eye Trouble - 12/04/10 05:47 PM

I have a 2.5 year old GSP that Points, backs and retrieves, good little bird dog. Just this season she started collecting spear grass seeds in her eyes and they swell and a vet trip is required. This just started happening. Has anyone ever tried goggles on their hunting dog. My wife just called petsmart and they have goggles for dogs. I'm afraid this is my only option, I love my dog and will not get rid of her. Any ideas folks??

Posted By: dr730

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/04/10 08:07 PM

Do you check to dog's eyes after each outing into the field? I have pulled out spear grass seeds out of my GSP's eyes on numerous occasions. It's pretty easy to do with a q-tip or a tissue or napkin folded over into a blunt kind of tip. Just inspect the dog's eyes after each outing. Pull down the bottom eyelids and pull up the upper eyelid and you can usually see the in there and get them out quite easily.

If you put goggles on that dog, please please post pics! LOL!

Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/04/10 11:26 PM

you def need to start running her with googles and post pics

Posted By: cockerfan

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/05/10 12:18 AM

Do what DR730 said. Check the dog's eyes yourself and remove the debris. I also like to wipe them out with a boric acid solution (1/4 tsp boric acid in 1 cup boiling water) if they start looking red at all. There are thousand, if not millions of dogs that go out hunting every year, and I have yet to see or hear of one wearing goggles. I think your dog just needs to man up a little smile

Posted By: kindall

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/05/10 12:19 AM

I just rinse my dogs eyes out with re wetting drops before leaving the field. If I see a seed before then I just rinse it out in the field. Vet said just buy what you would use for yourself. I had a problem with ragweed seeds earlier in the year.
With all the early rain its been a good year for weeds.

Posted By: cockerfan

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/05/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: kindall
Vet said just buy what you would use for yourself.

I use boric acid for myself smile

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/06/10 03:30 AM

Try some eye wash solution & a couple of drops of visine A.C.

Posted By: Lookinferhogs

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/07/10 06:22 PM

Goggles is definetly a solution to your problem.

Posted By: Tree Hunter

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/07/10 11:37 PM

LOL. I didn't think such a thing existed till I googled it and sure enough petco has some and they're on sale!

http://www.petco.com/product/100299/Doggles-Protective-Eyewear-for-Dogs.aspx

Posted By: Rick Titus

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/10/10 12:51 AM

My Little GSP is a gusty girl. She wanted to hunt with her eyes swollen almost shut. Of course I didn't let her go any more. Manning up as the Cocker Fan puts it with the spear grass seeds in her eyes could have caused permenant dammage according to my vet. We will work through this and be back in the field soon. Thanks to all of you who had ideas for me to try. Oh, I forgot about the goggles. We tried them in the back yard, I tried and tried to get to to fit....no good,but I tried. Thanks everyone and have a safe and Merry Christmas.

Posted By: coolie

Re: GSP Eye Trouble - 12/10/10 04:14 AM

Here's a tip that I will share.
...........Baby Nasal Aspirator..........
Fill with water. Squirt in their eyes. I use one to squirt in the dog's nose as well.
Dogs can't smell very well if their noses are full of dust.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3316522&CAWELAID=283144695

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum