Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant hunts in south Texas

Posted By: AAR

Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/15/10 07:46 PM

Hey Guys,

Had a question and needed some help. I have a client coming in from out of state to do some hunting at the end of next month and he really wants to do some pheasant hunting (released is OK). I really don't know of any place around here that does those hunts. Anyone here know of a pheasant hunt say within 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Corpus christi that I could get this guy and possibly his younger brother on for a morning hunt to shoot a few?
Will be doing some duck and goose but the pheasant thing is one of the high priority birds, even if we can get just a morning or just an afternoon. I would be open to a taxidermy work swap as well.

Thanks,

Eric

Posted By: RayB

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/15/10 09:14 PM

Closest place I know of is in Columbus. Never been there but know some guys who have and they say the birds fly good.

Posted By: Couzin

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/17/10 08:45 PM

There is 4R near Hondo http://www.4rranch.net/index.html - they have released pheasant - they have half day hunts for about $200.00.

Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/19/10 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Ray B
Closest place I know of is in Columbus. Never been there but know some guys who have and they say the birds fly good.

Ray is talking about Top flight.

I have a membership and been twice, we had 8 pheasant put out to weeks ago and they were flying great. A friend that grew up in Iowa went and said he could barely tell the difference. We ask them not to dizzy them, so they run to.

The cover is great, very thick, but GREEN, tough scenting on the dogs, especially hunting dead. Mine step on one before she smelled it, but that's Texas in September.

Ray my offer is still always open to you.

Phil

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/19/10 11:34 PM

Eric,
Check with Wild Horse Lodge(wildhorselodge.com). The hunt would be South of Kingsville, so it would be considerably closer than anything else that has been suggested. (like, about an hour from CC). Check with Calvin Canamore, and I'll bet with enough lead time, he can fix you up. They can do pheasant and have had them on hand for a couple of years. Don't know about this year.

Posted By: AAR

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/20/10 01:52 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I talked to Leon today with the hunt out of Columbus and sounded like a nice guy. Will call the guys in Baffin tomorrow to see the setup. Columbus would be a little bit of a trip but seems like most are charging way too much to go shoot some pen raised birds. Heck I'm just wanting to get these two guys out for a few hours on the first day their here to get a couple of nice roosters and get to the duck portion of it.

Eric

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/21/10 05:00 PM

Oops, my bad (as the kids might say). I happened to talk to Calvin Canamore of Wildhorse Lodge and preserve yesterday. He confirmed that there would be no pheasant offered this year on the hunts. Sorry for misleading any and all. There will be, however, plenty of flight conditioned quail and chukar.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Pheasant hunts in south Texas - 10/21/10 05:40 PM

I guide up here in North Texas - go with the chukar. They always fly better than quail, give better dog work, cheaper than pheasant and tasty. Have fun! It can be a really enjoying day for your clients.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum