Texas Hunting Forum

A bird in a bag

Posted By: bill oxner

A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 12:08 AM

To me, it's not worth two in the bush anymore. I'm going fishing this week, and was looking through some of my old logs, to see what I've done in past years. I don't write much so the logs were mostly about numbers. I skipped through May through September, in less than 30 seconds, so I continued to thumb on into quail season. I counted the coveys, birds shot, and birds picked up. I never counted the coveys pointed, or the excitement, or the limb finds. I never recorded the times the world stood still.

It's not that way with me anymore. I don't care for the bird in the bag, as much as I do for the outing. I don't care for the bird in the bag, as much as I do for the companionship, the pleasure of hunting a new pasture. I now put the bird in the bag at the bottom of the list. How about you?

Posted By: sallysue

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 02:00 AM

Same here . I luv the dog part the best . Opening day of dove hunting I probable won't even shoot . A stray pup showed up at the farm about a year ago. Maybe has some Golden in him but who know or even cares . Been working him on land and water does fine . So I'll let someone else shoot while I work with him

Posted By: travelinman31

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 02:50 AM

From the way you wrote your post, you should write more. I enjoyed reading it, you can sense your passion for the SPORT in your words.

The first dog I ever hunted with was given to me, the lady didn't know if she would hunt or just eat biscuits. The first time that dog was on wild birds she made the prettiest point I've ever seen. As you said the world stood still. I lost her after 3 seasons, to a blood disease. To me a dog in the field is worth more than a bag full of birds.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 03:35 AM

With my current dog, I keep a photo diary. Mostly pictures as they speak a thousand words. But also stories of the hunt, the surroundings, other wildlife, the successes, and the hardships. Like my posts, I try to not always stress on the numbers of birds taken or seen. And even when I do take a limit, sometimes the pictures I use will not always show it. A lot of my hunting trip posts on the forum are nothing more than an entry in my dog's hunting diary and written in this way. I always shake my head when I make a long post of pictures and stories after a long hunting trip; and the first reply posted is "How many did you kill" "Did you get your limit". Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with a brag now and then and I would be throwing a stone in a glass house if I said I never do, but most days it really is about so much more than "how many" or the "limit". At least it is to me.

Posted By: RayB

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 10:17 AM

Being new to bird dogs, I thought there was something wrong with me. I love being out and watching my two run. I'm glad I'm not alone laugh

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 01:12 PM

I, too, love the hunt above all else. However I do want to shoulder and shoot the shotgun. Downing the bird and the retrieval is also a big part to me. Not to mention them boys is tasty.

Posted By: Chet

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 02:47 PM

+1 and neccessary to train a dog............

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 06:45 PM

I was telling someone the same thing the other day. Just being out there and visiting is what it's about. I get some exercise, usually visit with old friends, get to watch the dogs, and hopefully get to shoot a bird or two. Nothing bad in that description, but the companionship would be #1 on my list.

Posted By: CSF

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 07:09 PM

My best memories the dog's reactions to the find and the conversations had with hunting partners while we stroll through pastures.

Posted By: dr730

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 08:36 PM

I think I enjoy it all equally. I sure like to pull the trigger and make a good shot but I think the best stuff is the things that happen before and after that point.

Posted By: blanked

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 10:21 PM

i like my dogs to find just enough birds to keep them motivated.
i dont really like watching my dogs hunt if the motivation isnt there.

i also am more in tune with the dogs when i hunt by myself.

Posted By: coolie

Re: A bird in a bag - 08/30/10 10:25 PM

If I were concerned with a limit, I just go road hunting.
If there are no dogs, I don't go.
Watching a dog do what he was bred to do, and doing it with style, is the reason that I'll go make a water haul.

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/01/10 12:03 AM

I don't know...I like to shoot birds. I've never even come close to a limit on quail, but it makes for a fun day to shoot a handfull of shells and bring home two or three birds...just enough shots to get some action and enough hits to confirm that I can still shoot. I definitely enjoy just being outside with the dog but lets be honest...we probably all spend way more time hunting in good years than in bad, and if it was just about walking around with a dog people wouldn't come from the east coast to Texas to hunt quail...that said, I "hunted" quail in East texas last year...never saw any but I did see some rabbits and the dog pointed a few woodcock (which, unfortunately, were out of season at the time).

Posted By: Cowtown3hunter

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/02/10 11:42 PM

Like Travelinman, and a bunch of others I bet, I liked reading your stories. Post some more.

My quail hunting partner usually posts a "report" after each hunt and they are similar to your stories.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/03/10 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Cowtown3hunter
Like Travelinman, and a bunch of others I bet, I liked reading your stories. Post some more.

My quail hunting partner usually posts a "report" after each hunt and they are similar to your stories.

That's really kind of you. I'm a lot like a quail. I'm gregarious. I'm sure I like to write the stories more than you like to read them. I know I'm repeating myself, but quail hunting is exclusive. This forum is inclusive.

Posted By: HiBrass9s

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/03/10 02:38 AM

That is uh uh some real deep water right there.

Posted By: RangerRick

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/07/10 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
I, too, love the hunt above all else. However I do want to shoulder and shoot the shotgun. Downing the bird and the retrieval is also a big part to me. Not to mention them boys is tasty.

Exactly. cowboy

Posted By: 1okiebirdhunter

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/08/10 12:01 PM

Ranger rick I am starting to work Rebels litter mates on birds, if you want to join me give me a call and come to Okla.

Posted By: RangerRick

Re: A bird in a bag - 09/08/10 07:33 PM

1Okie may just do that sir! Will get in touch.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum