Texas Hunting Forum

new at dove hunting

Posted By: txhunter25

new at dove hunting - 09/26/09 08:58 PM

i just recently got into dove hunting i hunt hebert road in waller, i have shot a few and saw a few, but i really dont know what kind of weather is the best for dove hunting, and i saw alot of people just sitting on the woodline and waiting for the birds and they did get a few birds, i just walked around in the middle of the field and scared them up which is best?

Posted By: Driller

Re: new at dove hunting - 09/26/09 09:04 PM

welcome to the forum and I prefer to go after the birds as opposed to waiting for them

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: new at dove hunting - 09/26/09 10:24 PM

I do alittle of both.

Posted By: txhunter25

Re: new at dove hunting - 09/26/09 11:15 PM

thanks for your replies. how about the weather anyone know which type of weather is best for dove to fly?

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: new at dove hunting - 09/27/09 03:03 AM

As for going into the field and scaring them up. It works but if that is what it takes to get birds then don't expect a stellar hunt since enough are not flying in and around to get a ton of shooting. Just make sure you don't get shot.

Weather, I have shot a limit in sub-freezing temps Jan. 1 and 100+ degrees. As long as it is not pouring rain then go out. I have shot them in 35+ mph winds which is fun except walking 100 yards to find them. Weather normally only matters if there were a ton of birds and front moves in and moves them out but you won't know unless you go. Fronts moves new birds in as well.

+1 rule in dove hunting is to hunt locations that holds birds. Many times means you need a dove lease out west far from Waller. But I have a field almost in Dallas that holds birds year round with the milo/sunflower fields on both sides so you NEED FEED to keep them around.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum