Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Land near Lubbock

Posted By: huntinraider

Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 03:32 PM

Interested to know if any of you fellow THFers have any land near Lubbock you would be willing to let a responsible college student hunt on. Dove Duck Geese Quail Pheasant, anything is greatly appreciated.

Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 03:46 PM

I wish I could help. When I was at Tech I always had some friends that had land out there I could hunt with. Good luck!

Wreck em Tech!!! Big game this weekend.

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 03:59 PM

I feel an upset...

Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: huntinraider
I feel an upset...

No way in hell this year!

Posted By: amick

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 05:40 PM

When I was at Tech, 10yrs ago, A buddy and I drove out East and started asking cotton farmers if they would mind us hunting a few times. Occassionally we traded a little yard work or a case of beer for the deal. We never left them empty handed. We also always left the places cleaner than we found them...Got turned down more times than not, but a few were happy to let us hunt. Yes sir/mam (politeness and respect goes a long way in West Texas).

Posted By: amick

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 05:41 PM

and... Wreck 'em Tech. Get your Guns Up!!!

Posted By: ttubudd

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 05:53 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/

I've been out to the spot west of Abernathy a few times (in fact i'm going out there tonight). There are always a decent number of birds flying, and most of them are still flying (b/c i miss alot). That spot is only for dove, but there are some more public lands about an hour Northeast of Lubbock.

It just costs you $48 for the public hunting permit. I'm going to try to kill a few ducks up there in the next couple of months.

Posted By: JSSwift1

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ttubudd
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/

I've been out to the spot west of Abernathy a few times (in fact i'm going out there tonight). There are always a decent number of birds flying, and most of them are still flying (b/c i miss alot). That spot is only for dove, but there are some more public lands about an hour Northeast of Lubbock.

It just costs you $48 for the public hunting permit. I'm going to try to kill a few ducks up there in the next couple of months.

Just so you know there is not much water out there right now. They need quite a bit of rain to make it worth the drive.

Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: amick
When I was at Tech, 10yrs ago, A buddy and I drove out East and started asking cotton farmers if they would mind us hunting a few times. Occassionally we traded a little yard work or a case of beer for the deal. We never left them empty handed. We also always left the places cleaner than we found them...Got turned down more times than not, but a few were happy to let us hunt. Yes sir/mam (politeness and respect goes a long way in West Texas).

I know some guys that did that too. Most people out there are Tech fans and happy to help out Tech kids. Its a good idea.

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JSSwift1

Just so you know there is not much water out there right now. They need quite a bit of rain to make it worth the drive.

Well that's not good. How long ago were you out there?

I've never been to any of the public lands except for the one near Abernathy.

Someone made a google map a couple of years ago that maps the public hunting lands around here... its pretty useful!

PUBLIC HUNTING MAP

Posted By: TXbuck1592

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 09:02 PM

Im fixin to head of to Tech and thats what I worried about...there is no way I can go out there and not hunt!

Posted By: misledkevin

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/16/09 09:16 PM

Theres a ton of public hunting land around lubbock, floyd county mainly. Ive checked pretty much all the playa lakes on the public land and all are dry. it sucks... but if we get rain, circle tree is a good bet. there is good dove hunting out there tho

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 12:08 AM

I have had some success knocking on the doors of farmers. The public lands around Lubbock have not been very good for me. I went out to a few in Floydada and one in Abernathy for dove this year and all of the playa lakes have dried up so I don't think there is going to be [censored] for ducks and geese this year. I do however see a lot of pheasants in Floydada on the public lands.

Posted By: RockinR

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 12:16 AM

If you're ever down around College Station for a game or something, let me know! I'd be more than happy to take you out with us sometime. Several places within +/-30 min to hunt.

Posted By: cable

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 05:23 AM

I know a THF'er that goes to TT. He is a die hard bird hunter. He is from DFW and I have hunted with him. His name is Greg and his handle is gp08. Send him a PM. He is as solid as they make' em.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 11:00 AM

I don't know if you live in a dorm or are in a fraternity but those two places will open plenty of hunting doors for you. That was my experience when I was out there.

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 01:59 PM

I found a couple of places for dove yesterday south of town. My friends that hunt and have land don't really want go everyday, that is my main problem lol. I have still been unsuccessful finding a good duck spot though.

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: huntinraider
I found a couple of places for dove yesterday south of town. My friends that hunt and have land don't really want go everyday, that is my main problem lol. I have still been unsuccessful finding a good duck spot though.

Your friend's land or farmer's?

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 04:10 PM

Someone made a google map a couple of years ago that maps the public hunting lands around here... its pretty useful!

PUBLIC HUNTING MAP

I was out there yesterday

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 04:55 PM

PUBLIC HUNTING MAP

I was out there yesterday

At the Abernathy one? Were you near the Southwest corner? I was out there with another guy and a dog on the west side. How'd you do?

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 04:59 PM

At the Abernathy one? Were you near the Southwest corner? I was out there with another guy and a dog on the west side. How'd you do?

No I was out in Floyd county

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 05:19 PM

No I was out in Floyd county

How was it out there?

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 05:27 PM

How was it out there?

Pretty boring

Posted By: jkk

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 09/17/09 05:29 PM

I have some spots around the area. Need some rain to help make it until duck season! Shoot me a pm sometime.

Posted By: reds84justin

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 08/22/11 03:22 PM

i have a place to dove hunt, duck and goose hunt if you are interested hit me up :texas. close to lubbock texas

Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 08/22/11 11:45 PM

Find water, and you will find birds...

Hunted that way for 15+ years...

From Tahoka to Plainview and Muleshoe to Crosbyton...

We went where ever the birds were...knock on some doors and be responsible, and show some respect, and you can hunt just about anywhere.

Just remember this: what has water this year, might not next year, and vise versa! up

Do your homework and it can be very rewarding:

Get ur' Guns Up! rifle

J.J.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Hunting Land near Lubbock - 08/22/11 11:56 PM

Great haul JJ!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum