Texas Hunting Forum

What to look for in a pair of game shears?

Posted By: TexasEd

What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 05:35 PM

I guess I'll break down and buy a pair of game shears. I'll probably be limited to what they have at Academy, but I might be close to Cabela's tonight.

I've never used them, just broke the wings off, but I usually have several limit hunts of dove a year and I'll probably be teaching a few new hunters how to clean their birds tomorrow. If they help speed the cleaning process and avoid splintered bones that is good.

I would use them for dove and ducks.
Anything in particular to look for? Get the cheapest ones or is there something to a particular style or brand?

Posted By: Threecurl

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 05:45 PM

Some of it depends on whether or not you plan to use them for ducks and geese, too. If so, look for something fairly heavy duty. The ones that look like slightly beefy pair of scissors or pruning snips will break eventually.

I have an earlier version of this pair and they work pretty well. My main complaint with mine is that the have hard handles that get slippery, but it looks like the new version in the link has solved that.

One feature that some shears have that's really nice is that the blades easily separate for cleaning. You just open them up as wide as they'll go and they come apart. Handy for chunking them in the dishwasher.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 06:00 PM

Not really too much too it in my opinion. Nice sharp cutting scissors and having a one of those cut out areas where you can put the bone in and cut through it.

Posted By: hunt15

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 06:12 PM

A cheep pare of gerbers seems to work the best. I have a pair of $30 thet seperare bfor cleeniong and they arn't worth a crap.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 07:52 PM

I have always passed on them. One less thing to keep up with. Plus getting a little dove blood in the veins when a bone sticks in ya has never killed anyone. smile

Posted By: kenmorrow

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 07:55 PM

j.a. henckles. period. no compromise.

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 07:56 PM

go to lowes and get some pruneing cutters from the gardening dept.they work really well,and most people have some laying around anyway.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 08/31/09 07:56 PM

Yeah I don't bother with them for dove...no reason. But for duck they come in handy.

Posted By: Guy

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/01/09 02:26 AM

I got the cheap ones at Academy few years ago, they are like $4, they work fine. If you are just cutting the wings off dove, this is all you need. I use them for duck legs as well, they work, but I nicer pair might be worth the extra $$$..

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/01/09 03:48 PM

I got a heavy duty pair of Gerber's yesterday on sale and used my cabeler's points.

Tried them out this morning and they are fantastic.

Posted By: skyshark

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/01/09 04:08 PM

Why would you use cutting shears for ducks? Dont you just breast them out

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/01/09 04:13 PM

My wife wants me to pluck one or two this year and I would use them on the legs.

Posted By: skyshark

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/01/09 04:37 PM

That makes sense....I plucked on a couple years ago...never again... smile Well, unless the wife wanted me to I guess.

Posted By: flyboy

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/09/09 01:10 AM

Gerbers!

Posted By: TrackerFouts

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/09/09 01:53 AM

you should look for ones with two blades and a handle..... rofl

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/09/09 02:36 AM

Just use a pair of dikes.

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: What to look for in a pair of game shears? - 09/09/09 03:45 AM

To be honest, I look to see what pair of siciors the wife has in one of the utility drawers in the kitchen.

Actually, I bought the cheep pair at Academy that comes with a case. If it last one season, I've got my money's worth.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum