Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting

Posted By: craftsmanb

Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 01:42 AM

I have leased some land in Denton County this year & was wondering how some of you hunt open fields & around tree lines. I know this may sound like a dum question. I the past I have sat by water tanks & just waited on the birds & filled my limit.I know I will not be the only hunter on this lease.I was just wandering what will be the proper etique.Sooooo what say you all? Thanks, Billy

Posted By: ProfPlum

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 02:04 AM

Every time I walk a tree line any birds that are sitting in the trees take off..... on the other side of the tree line....

Posted By: panch0

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 02:44 AM

I usually find a nice spot where they feed and drink or nest and have a seat and wait for em.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 02:47 AM

I do both, sometimes I'll get bored just sitting there, so I'll take off walking just to stir the sitting birds up.

Posted By: Waderator

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 03:51 AM

haven't had much luck trying walking 'round trying to find 'em. sitting works best for me.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: CTK3
I do both, sometimes I'll get bored just sitting there, so I'll take off walking just to stir the sitting birds up.

Same. Or I'll go back to another spot to see how the birds are.

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 10:23 AM

I like to set and relax and enjoy viewing the other hunters labor thru the pasture and scare them towards me.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: CTK3

same here, plus I turn it into a chance to work the dog a bit as well

Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 11:52 AM

Take a friend with you that's in good shape and doesn't mind walking. Have your friend walk around to chase up the doves while you sit in the shade and wait for them to fly over you!

Posted By: Charlito

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 12:33 PM

I like to sit and relax. If i get no action I will go and take a walk in the field and come back and sit down.

Posted By: pig out

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 01:36 PM

i sit under a tree but when the dove aren't flying or I'm tired of sitting down I'll go walk around and try to scare up some birds.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 03:06 PM

I sit on my big fat duff...My podner, bless his heart and soul is a former Marine.
He sometimes marches around at Port Arms... peep
Not random mind you, a Parade pattern..... confused2

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 03:08 PM

I do a little of both but mainly I sit.

Posted By: jarepjoe

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlie the duck dog
I like to sit and relax. If i get no action I will go and take a walk in the field and come back and sit down.

X2

Posted By: udamdan

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/21/09 11:21 PM

Sit still, wait & relax , they fly away with walking or any movement !

Posted By: Duke did it

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/25/09 04:15 AM

If the birds aren't flyin go stretch your legs. If there are other people on the lease just make sure they know where you are and you know where they are.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/25/09 08:01 PM

Most of the time it's too dang hot! I'm sittin in the shade!Pay attention to the hot spots where the dove come in and leave the field then sit there the next day.

I do hunt fields but my favorite is to hunt the ponds from 5 until sunset.

Posted By: redonthehead

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 02:42 AM

I grew up quail hunting, so I like to walk some when it gets slow, keeps me from getting bored.

Posted By: LuckyCatch

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 02:48 AM

I sit...on my cooler. Get up to stretch my legs when I get thirsty.

Posted By: 74bronco

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 03:41 AM

Doves have a sharp eye, they pick up on movement and will slide out . Cammo or don't move till there in range let them make there f-4 man/ flip when they strieghten out smokem. the eaysest is to scout first and get the birds strieght at you. sun at your back I know everybody will be surrounding the field but that pass shootin 40mph coming over your head you can guess. take plenty of shells 80 or so . If you can get the birds pass the guys who just shot at there butt maybe thell turn and everybody will get a shot scout and get there early to claim your spot..Sit stay still get comfy. swing have a good time go/ to the skeet range or 5 stand 5 stand will deffinantly get you in shape.

Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 12:56 PM

Sit, I'm to old and lazy to walk

Posted By: Texas Cazador

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 01:05 PM

I sit as long as I can then I stand up to shoot.

Posted By: JED

Re: Dove Hunting--Walking or Sitting - 08/26/09 04:29 PM

The only time I walk is to go get a downed bird or change locations.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum