Texas Hunting Forum

Weatherby choke for dove

Posted By: Dragonuv

Weatherby choke for dove - 08/18/23 06:02 PM

Just got a Weatherby Element. Given that chokes of different brands perform differently, I was hoping to get some feedback for the chokes for the Element. Based on my mossbergs chokes, I was considering the IC choke. Do the Weatherby chokes perform comparably to most others, or should I consider a different one? Will be shooting about 25-30 yards on average.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/18/23 06:33 PM

You should be fine. Choke designation is the same across all manufacturers. You never know true results unless you pattern with the shells you plan on using.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/18/23 06:39 PM

I shoot IC on the top and Modified for the lower barrel and second shot. Not sure that element is OU or not. If not, I would probably go modified.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/18/23 07:58 PM

Factory chokes are fine, don’t over think this. Pattern the IC and the Mod with your hunting ammo at the range you want to shoot. Make your choice based on the patters your shotgun throws.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/20/23 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Factory chokes are fine, don’t over think this. Pattern the IC and the Mod with your hunting ammo at the range you want to shoot. Make your choice based on the patters your shotgun throws.

This is the way
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/20/23 10:27 PM

I’m running a Weatherby SA-08 and a18I Deluxe both with L/M chokes split the difference
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/21/23 10:03 PM

Thanks guys. I’ve been hearing that the Weatherby chokes are sized different enough that if I use an IC it will likely pattern like a modified, or even a full in some cases.

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/21/23 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonuv
Thanks guys. I’ve been hearing that the Weatherby chokes are sized different enough that if I use an IC it will likely pattern like a modified, or even a full in some cases.

Regardless of what you have been hearing. Shoot the choke that gives the results you are wanting. Don’t believe everything that is written on the side of it, or on the internet.
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

This is the way

Posted By: LSquare65

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 06:54 PM

I have an Element in 20ga. and shoot IC & LM for dove with good effect when I do my part. The LM is a Carlson tube and it patterns more consistently than the factory IC with all loads but the IC is plenty good enough, no plans to replace it. I shoot AA shells more than anything else in this gun, results will vary from gun to gun. More than anything, pattern it and practice with it, you'll be fine.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 06:59 PM

Just got a Weatherby Element. Given that chokes of different brands perform differently, I was hoping to get some feedback for the chokes for the Element. Based on my mossbergs chokes, I was considering the IC choke. Do the Weatherby chokes perform comparably to most others, or should I consider a different one? Will be shooting about 25-30 yards on average.

go a head and order LM and pattern it, then you are pretty much set for every thing
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

go a head and order LM and pattern it, then you are pretty much set for every thing

You tell 'em Bobos! Bobos is a world champion shotgunner. If you don't believe me, just ask him!!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 08:28 PM

Don't use cylinder or skeet unless the birds are within thirty yards, after that - it don't matter, pick one.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 10:39 PM

No matter which choke you use, go shoot at some clay birds
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/24/23 11:47 PM

I personally think aftermarket chokes are a racket. Only think I like is getting the extended chokes so that you can get a set of pliers on them if it seizes up.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 02:29 AM

25 to 30 yards….if I’m shooting light 3/4 or 1 oz. loads I use IC, 1 1/8 oz. I’d screw in Skeet, maybe even cylinder if they’re moving inside the 25 yards.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You tell 'em Bobos! Bobos is a world champion shotgunner. If you don't believe me, just ask him!!

I could not do it with out all that special load development you did. You really need to sale that load recipe, It just flat works . If anyone really really wants a special load blows retail ammo out of the water PM Barney

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
I personally think aftermarket chokes are a racket. Only think I like is getting the extended chokes so that you can get a set of pliers on them if it seizes up.

If that's true, Briley has made a fortune selling competition shooters a bunch of [censored] that they don't need.

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 03:12 PM

Yes totally unheard of in the world especially the outdoor industry.
#sitka
#scentlock
#bossshotsells

I could go on and on for years.

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 04:04 PM

Could you break a clay target at 70 yards with a cylinder choke?

I'll give you five shots at it, using 1 1/8 oz. 7.5 shot.

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 07:31 PM

Me? I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 20 yards with your gun.

I will say… if you can consistently bust clay at 70. I’m sold!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/25/23 08:10 PM

I never needed one.

Re: Weatherby choke for dove - 08/26/23 01:21 AM

Weatherby uses the standard Browning invector choke. It is the first screw in chokes Browning used, before they started back boring their barrels. It is also the same as Winchester’s Win choke. Also the shorty choke Mossberg uses. If it is a 12 gauge improved cylinder it has .010 constriction. That is a standard 1/4 choke improved cylinder. If it is a 20 gauge it has 0.12 constriction which is .002 tighter than a 1/4 choke. The Light Modified that Bobo referred to is .015 constriction in 12 or 20 and that is standard LM constriction. Both the 12 and 20 gauge Modified chokes have .020 constriction. That is standard 1/2 constriction for a modified choke. I own Both 12 and 20 gauge Brownings with the same choke system. Shoot them to see which pattern you like. Your chokes are good to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum