Texas Hunting Forum

Dove numbers

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Dove numbers - 06/28/23 04:53 PM

Seems like this year may finally be a good one for doves. What are you guys with leases seeing?
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Dove numbers - 06/28/23 07:50 PM

Better than the last two years, but I think it's still below average.
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Dove numbers - 06/28/23 09:30 PM

Seeing alot in Taylor, Fisher, and Howard counties
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Dove numbers - 06/28/23 10:24 PM

I’m seeing a lot of dove food, just like last year, but just not the numbers of morning doves as in the past? I think the combination of a ice storm and drought has dramatically hurt the doves. But, not south counties. They are always there.
Posted By: ETXJack93

Re: Dove numbers - 06/29/23 02:09 AM

Seeing them some in the piney woods. We’re gonna need some decent rain to bring more back in though. Centerville area had good birds just cruising a few weeks ago.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Dove numbers - 07/03/23 05:18 PM

hearing good reports for out near Trent.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Dove numbers - 07/03/23 05:48 PM

I don't have huntable numbers where I live, but I do keep a feeder out for birds though. April I had 25/30 doves feeding twice a day. Have had two hail events and the most I've seen is five since then.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Dove numbers - 07/03/23 06:14 PM

Same thread every year. Numbers do look better than previous 2 years. For hunting opening day, dove numbers today irrelevant. A front can push them out the night before.

I do believe we will have better numbers this season- based on what everyone is seeing
Posted By: claypool

Re: Dove numbers - 07/04/23 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Greekangler
Same thread every year.

Well we have the same season every year at the same of every year, so it makes sense

Re: Dove numbers - 07/04/23 04:30 PM

Dove are like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get.
Posted By: warrington

Re: Dove numbers - 07/09/23 02:55 PM

we have the sunflowers this year, and water. Hoping the birds are in the area and should be a good year
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Dove numbers - 07/09/23 05:18 PM

I think everyone is hopeful but hesitant to say anything. fingers crossed..
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 11:45 AM

High bird numbers in general doesn’t always mean good hunts.

Food abundance and timing of rain play big factors.

The best years in my experience are when it’s been dry but you have a food source and or water to hunt.

With food and water everywhere for them like they have right now in my area, I feel like the hunting would be tough even if the overall bird numbers are high.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 12:47 PM

They're starting to bunch up.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 01:05 PM

Stompy your living my dream so I’m super proud for you and I hope you have a stellar season up
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 01:18 PM

A lot can change over the next 53 days.

It'll be good where its good and notsomuch where the birds are sparse.

For that bit of wisdom...all of you, you're welcome.

Stompy - enjoy your high fence birds! roflmao That brand new fence really hemmed them in, amigo! up

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

A lot can change over the next 53 days.

It'll be good where its good and notsomuch where the birds are sparse.

For that bit of wisdom...all of you, you're welcome.

Stompy - enjoy your high fence birds! roflmao That brand new fence really hemmed them in, amigo! up

They sure like that top wire.

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Stompy your living my dream so I’m super proud for you and I hope you have a stellar season up

Thank you Sir. I'm living my dream for sure.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

Stompy - enjoy your high fence birds! roflmao

That's what I was thinking, it's not keeping them in there very good...
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 04:46 PM

Tons of them here.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
They sure like that top wire.

That would make a good skillet shot…
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 06:31 PM

Gonna have to bring my extension ladder in case one falls over the fence! scratch

Re: Dove numbers - 07/10/23 10:46 PM

Well that wouldn’t be necessary; didn’t he hire the Topgolf engineers to put a net over the entire ranch?
Posted By: woodsonhunter

Re: Dove numbers - 07/14/23 09:54 PM

Its looking pretty good around Woodson this year, like mentioned above though, most everyone's sunflowers did great.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Dove numbers - 07/15/23 12:29 PM

Some pretty good numbers around the Brenham TX area right now! Plenty of dove weed around and others keeping the flock
happy for now! Will see in a few weeks what shakes out.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Dove numbers - 07/20/23 03:24 AM

Seeing a few more than last year in Dickens
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Dove numbers - 07/20/23 02:01 PM

Saw more than I usually do this time of year in Nocona. Not that I saw many at all there. The property doesn't have anything to hold them.

Re: Dove numbers - 07/22/23 04:34 PM

Never really saw pairs, and not seeing the smaller young birds now; is this the time to start worrying?
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Dove numbers - 07/23/23 11:21 PM

I've seen some younger birds but not a lot.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Dove numbers - 07/27/23 06:02 PM

there are whitewings all over the neighborhood live oaks right now, groups of 20-30
Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: Dove numbers - 07/28/23 10:05 PM

CANT WAIT!
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I don't have huntable numbers where I live, but I do keep a feeder out for birds though. April I had 25/30 doves feeding twice a day. Have had two hail events and the most I've seen is five since then.

Same thing here. I normally have nesting birds but have not seen nests this year. Back in April I flushed a group out of the front yard and watched a sparrow hawk fly off neighbors roof and nail one. We have lots of sunflowers around here. I wonder what my neighbors would think if I shot a few in the backyard. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 03:44 PM

TPWD is claiming numbers are up across the state by 44% over last year. This time I'm inclined to believe them. They were full o' carp when they claimed the big freeze didn't hurt them tho.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
They were full o' carp when they claimed the big freeze didn't hurt them tho.

I found them dead in dilapidated deer blinds right afterwards.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I'm with ya. I walked our lease right after north of Abilene and saw a few dozen dead under mesquites. Seems like the city white wings were the only ones around that didn't get hurt cuz they could find water.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I'm with ya. I walked our lease right after north of Abilene and saw a few dozen dead under mesquites. Seems like the city white wings were the only ones around that didn't get hurt cuz they could find water.

I had 15 dead on two south facing porches after the big freeze.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove numbers - 08/03/23 04:36 PM

There are more bird's than I have seen in 7 to 8 years. Big group's are coming over the house (15, 18) and out in the plowed field (where corn was this year) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Dove numbers - 08/05/23 02:08 AM

I've got a dove in the front yard tree still on a nest. Last year I saw one as well still nesting into mig august.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Dove numbers - 08/05/23 02:39 PM

did you see the forecast numbers for panhandle up 120%+

Re: Dove numbers - 08/05/23 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Coastalquacker

Pay no mind to that. The Dove Forecast from TPWD is strictly range conditions. They don't count birds. They assume since the range is better, then numbers are better. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Dove numbers - 08/05/23 05:18 PM

Pay no mind to that. The Dove Forecast from TPWD is strictly range conditions. They don't count birds. They assume since the range is better, then numbers are better. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

This! TPWD just trying to sell licenses. I have 0 faith in their counts & predictions.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Dove numbers - 08/05/23 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR

This! TPWD just trying to sell licenses. I have 0 faith in their counts & predictions.

Agree, nobody can accurately forecast weather, nor can anyone accurately forecast wildlife movement or numbers.
All you have is history and an educated guess.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/10/23 02:28 AM

Went out today on a pretty big scouting pass; lots of sunflowers, plenty of heat, not many doves.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Dove numbers - 08/10/23 12:04 PM

Walked 43 acres of mostly open field wit scattered trees a 2 tanks, saw probably 80 birds flying at 10am.

Dead tree by my house probably had 40 in it.

Seeing lots on the power lines, more than usual.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dove numbers - 08/11/23 09:03 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Dove numbers - 08/11/23 09:53 PM

An itty-bitty front is projected to move in Tuesday. Hope this isn't the pre-season rains we typically get and need! 90 this morning at 4:30; needs to cool off a little.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/11/23 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
[Linked Image]

You friends with Will Holt?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Dove numbers - 08/11/23 10:58 PM

I stumbled onto a pretty good bunch of birds this afternoon. Probably a couple hundred mourning doves picking up grit in a dirt two track going through a couple hundred acres of goat weed. The patch they were in is black land. If it gets a significant rain on it before the opener they will move to sandy ground. Those goobers were right out in the hot sun with the truck thermometer showing 103°. When I drove through they got up and went 20-30 yards out into the goat weed and sat right back down. Probably with some more birds that were in the goat weed. I will go watch them when season gets a little closer and it cools off some, if they stick around. Too dadgum hot.
Posted By: TripleE

Re: Dove numbers - 08/15/23 01:53 AM

Seeing more birds in ETx than last year. South Tx also looking pretty darn good if you have food and water. Can’t wait!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Dove numbers - 08/15/23 02:53 AM

Looking good around here.
They're staying at water
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Dove numbers - 08/15/23 03:18 AM

About a 100 everyday at 7:00

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Dove numbers - 08/15/23 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lotto
About a 100 everyday at 7:00

[Linked Image]

And your address is? roflmao

Re: Dove numbers - 08/15/23 11:46 AM

Ok, now is the time guys with fields should be seeing hundreds upon hundreds of doves flying everywhere. (Not birds in town; everybody sees that) If it’s like the old days…morning doves should be all over the fields at this time, no excuses. Or there’s a problem. What are you seeing?

Re: Dove numbers - 08/18/23 08:18 PM

It has been 9 to 10 years since I have been to able say that this year LOOK'S to be like the old day's. I have hunted this place for 27 year's, it's where I live.Just hope they hang around for the 1st!!!!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Dove numbers - 08/18/23 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by billyhunt
It has been 9 to 10 years since I have been to able say that this year LOOK'S to be like the old day's. I have hunted this place for 27 year's, it's where I live.Just hope they hang around for the 1st!!!!

I am about 35 miles north of you. Havent scouted my tanks but you are giving me hope on a good dove season.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/19/23 04:46 PM

12!! Espy know the big town of Eddy (well probably bigger now, aint been up that way for years) hope is for you. All I hunt here is in the plowed field, just fly-ways
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Dove numbers - 08/20/23 02:00 PM

Saw more resident birds in July than the last 3 years combined. July and September mean nothing in terms of what is seen. Too many factors especially in an El Nino year. Last time we had an El Nino set up like this it rained all Sept and Oct. Made for some messy hunts and spread the birds out that come in with the fronts.
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Dove numbers - 08/21/23 03:49 AM

Saw alot of doves in Fisher county on 80 acres of headed wheat on Saturday

Re: Dove numbers - 08/21/23 03:39 PM

Saw a few in the fields this morning, not many. Seems most of the birds are in the pasture feeding in the shade, or close to what little water there is. This year a lot of sunflowers came up in the Mesquite trees, that's where I'm seeing most of the birds. But still not huge numbers. With these warm temps, not much of anything is moving. Deer, Hogs, all at night, cows in shade by 8am.

There are more birds than last year here (which ain't saying much) but definitely not our average. Drove through Throckmorton and Woodson late Saturday and didn't see many at all. There seems to be good numbers towards the Panhandle. Got a buddy that hunts south of Estelline and he told me he has a lot.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/21/23 07:08 PM

Maybe, just maybe this will help. Little cooler and NE wind. Definitely better than the 107-111 we've been having.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Dove numbers - 08/22/23 01:04 PM

Stompy, I hope you are in better shape than we are.

We have 40 acres of groceries, good water, but the birds aren't there (8-10 mile NE of Moran) as of last weekend.

Saw maybe 15 birds around the feeders all weekend. Usually doesn't get good for us until the second or third week.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/22/23 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by reeder05
Stompy, I hope you are in better shape than we are.

We have 40 acres of groceries, good water, but the birds aren't there (8-10 mile NE of Moran) as of last weekend.

Saw maybe 15 birds around the feeders all weekend. Usually doesn't get good for us until the second or third week.

Know some folks around Albany and Moran, they're seeing the same.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Dove numbers - 08/22/23 03:01 PM

My grandsons spent the weekend at the lease counting doves and discussing their excitement for opening weekend. I tried to temper their expectations, but they’re confident we’re going to see a lot of dove this year. I hope they’re right.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Dove numbers - 08/26/23 10:39 AM

Most I have seen in 3 years. Flooding my wetland, have some sheet water and saw 50+ come to water from 7:15p-7:45

You have a good tank this year w lack of water, you will dove late morning and late afternoon/ evening
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Dove numbers - 08/28/23 04:02 PM

"That all i got to say about thatt!"
Posted By: browning66

Re: Dove numbers - 08/29/23 12:22 AM

Seeing fewer today since the front arrived last night.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Dove numbers - 08/29/23 05:53 AM

Throckmorton dove report anyone?
Haven’t been to the lease since the beginning of the month, there were a few birds around at that time.
I am cautiously optimistic, that I will be better than the bust of last year
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Dove numbers - 08/29/23 12:34 PM

I had a good amount coming to my pond in western young county. Some big planted sunflowers fields around me aren't holding hardly any birds at all as of last week.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Dove numbers - 08/29/23 01:19 PM

I scouted my field in SW Young County Saturday morning. There were significantly less birds than I'm used to seeing this close to the opener.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/30/23 12:30 PM

Saw a ton of birds near Holiday Texas. This landowner did the ultimate, he planted wheat just like he would for harvest, no weeds and very heavy heads. Then he cut it for doves. I’ve never seen one of these type fields fail.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Dove numbers - 08/30/23 02:37 PM

I drove from Graham to Throckmorton yesterday. Did not see any doves. At all.

Re: Dove numbers - 08/31/23 11:45 AM

Drove around the plowed corn field yesterday evening, sat for a bit looking (was a tad early 5:00) not many morning birds. Then 5:30 to 5:45 they started showing up, moved to another spot and then w/ws came over, two groups, which is great for out here. Still have fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Dove numbers - 08/31/23 03:24 PM

When I first got on this group 10 years ago, I was seeing hundreds and hundreds of whitewings out where I'd been hunting. Could limit out on them 3× over for 1st week of season if it was legal. About the last 6 or 7 years they have been slim pickins. All I really see now is mourning dove, and don't see much of them til mid season. Guess I'll see what happens this year.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Dove numbers - 08/31/23 03:30 PM

Headed to Vernon this afternoon. Supposedly the birds are scattered....except for at the tanks in the evenings. Oh well, it will be nice to get away for a few days.

Good luck everyone.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum