Texas Hunting Forum

Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it?

Posted By: stevehong

Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 03:14 PM

Looking at getting a Stoeger M3500 waterfowl edition,
but is it worth it or just get a Franchi, Berretta, or Benelli?
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 03:24 PM

I've hard good things about the M3500! I actually just bought the CZ 1012 because I've been really impressed by their other guns, and I'm liking it so far. Similar price range. As for Franchi, Beretta, and Benelli, they're definitely nice guns. I've shot them, but never owned them. That being said, you could buy two M3500s for a price of higher-end guns, which is why I went with the CZ. I'm pretty hard on my stuff and my guns get dragged through a bunch of mud and water and timber, so it's hard for me to beat up a $1,500+ gun.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 03:27 PM

I have the Stoeger 3020 duck gun in 20 gauge and love it. For the dollars, I don't think you can make a mistake buying that gun.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 03:41 PM

Beretta and Benelli are like a divorce...they are expensive because they are worth it.

Yes, and get one that's camo then you don't have to fight rust as much.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 03:44 PM

I have the Franchi Affinity 12 and it is the legitimate twin brother to the Benelli at half the cost
Posted By: roadscholar

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by RayB
I have the Franchi Affinity 12 and it is the legitimate twin brother to the Benelli at half the cost

Yep, I have the 12 and my wife has the 20. Highly recommend!!
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Beretta and Benelli are like a divorce...they are expensive because they are worth it.

100% been shooting SBE III 20Ga this year and love it w mid range Creamator choke, or IC extended for ducks inside 20 yards
Posted By: howl

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 07:49 PM

A300 Ultima can be had for less than that one. Not sure what to think about buying a dressed up Stoeger over any Beretta.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 08:02 PM

I shoot both the SBE II and the Stoeger 3020, mainly for Teal. Both are fine guns. It's gonna depend IMO on how much Steve hunts and his price point.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 08:25 PM

I have a Franchi Affinity and an Intensity - both great guns but I think they only sell the Affinity now since they're basically the same.

I also have a Stoeger M3500 - I haven't shot it in....like 4 years now. It'd make a heck of a club or boat paddle...it's heavy IMO. Also had some reliability issues. Not a horrible gun for the money but there are better options.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/07/22 10:02 PM

I am one of the cheapest people you will meet. I hunt 40-50 days a year and still refuse to buy fancy camo, I wear 100 dollar frog toggs breathable stockingfoot waders (because they typically last an entire season, unless I cut them on a sharp edge), and shoot whatever shells are the cheapest in the size I prefer.... If you are going to buy a waterfowl shotgun... by the top of the line made by Benelli, Browning, or Beretta. I have a super black eagle 3 in 12 gauge and also have a Franchi affinity in 12 gauge. They are NOT the same. The foreend on the SBE 3 is thinner and the balance of the SBE 3 is more in the rear of the gun (it feels lighter, not sure it actually is). I have had fewer firing issues out of by SBE 3 and the SBE 3 also does not have the "benelli click" issues.

Someone the other day made a statement and while at first it just made me laugh the more I thought about it the more I thought it was true.

"Buy a super black eagle III and have the best gun or buy something else and spend the rest of your time trying to convince yourself it is just as good"
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/08/22 08:09 AM

The m3500 is a great shotgun. I owned one for several years and killed many birds with it. If it makes you feel important to tell your friends you own a benelli, then by all means by one. If you want to save some money and own a shotgun that works well and kills birds, then buy the m3500.

Only reason I got rid of the M3500 is because I don't like inertia guns. The Super Black Eagle and M3500 are both inertia guns. I prefer the old fashion gas piston guns, so I went back to shooting my Browning Silver. Although my M3500 never failed me I always worried about the Benelli click/fail to fire because of the weak springs they use in those guns.

Keep in my that the inertia action is the least expensive action to manufacture. That is why all those company's copied Benellis inertia design and sell their Benelli copies for $299. If you pay Benelli over $2000 for a shotgun that costs Benelli about $50 to make, then you should probably bend over while you are handing them your money.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/08/22 01:04 PM

SBE II and a SBE III owner here. Worth it yes!

Went through Remington 1187 o-ring issues and trouble with them cycling when it gets super cold. Had Browning Maxus issues of needing a new spring and now a charging handle.

The SBEs just work. I normally lean Beretta's and have several of their semi autos and O/Us. They are great too.
Posted By: BigHutch

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/08/22 06:05 PM

If you like getting kicked like a mule by a cheap made gun buy a Stoeger. I have seen lots of cheap guns come and go.

Buy a Beretta. I can’t testify as to how the A300 Ultima will hold up but they use them in Mexico for dove hunting.

I have a 2008 model Beretta Extrema 2. For the 1st 8 years I owned it I hunted saltwater marsh. Now I hunt freshwater marsh. I hunt 30-40 days in regular season each year plus 5-6 teal hunts and shoot 2-3 cases per year (lots of gators so limited dog use and I shoot cripples for guests to save decoys … 🤦🏻🤦🏻). Absolutely no issues. Sometimes I go a season and a half between cleanings.

Duck hunting partner bought a Beretta A400 when first camo version came out. He hunts a few more days than I do. No issues. He was a Benelli man until I introduced him to less recoil and greater reliability of the Berettas. Now his recoil guns stay in the safe.

Just my 2 cents.
Big Hutch
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/08/22 08:06 PM

I've always thought B guns were worth it. They hold their value and are normally really good reliable guns. Pick the gun that fits you the best not what people say is the best.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/08/22 08:49 PM

If you are gonna look at high end guns, check out the Fab Arms.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/09/22 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
I've always thought B guns were worth it. They hold their value and are normally really good reliable guns. Pick the gun that fits you the best not what people say is the best.

I would have to agree… they are worth it. You won’t be disappointed
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/09/22 03:40 PM

On a side note, a 3.5" gun typically does not pattern as good. Its been years since I've shot a 3.5" shell and probably will never shoot a 3.5" shell again, especially at ducks.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/09/22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
On a side note, a 3.5" gun typically does not pattern as good. Its been years since I've shot a 3.5" shell and probably will never shoot a 3.5" shell again, especially at ducks.

I've actually thought about moving back to 2 3/4 just for bismuth. Less recoil. I shoot an ou so no inertia or gas offset.
Posted By: Bois D'arc

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/09/22 05:00 PM

I shoot a stoeger m3000 and it does everything I need it to. In my opinion 3.5" shells are unnecessary punishment and more of a gimmick than anything. The Franchi, Beretta, or Benelli will be a better balanced and more pleasant shooting gun but will not kill ducks deader than a cheap stoeger. If you plan on doing high volume shooting a more expensive gun is worth it. If you hunt nasty terrain and don't want to worry about the gun then the stoeger is for you. Just be advised after you try a nicer shotgun, the stoeger will feel like cheap junk.
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/10/22 11:09 PM

I have a camo Benelli and I love it. I agree with Bois about the 3.5" shells. I don't need the added kick or expense.
Posted By: hogwart

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/11/22 10:12 PM

If you like it and can afford it I don't see any reason you shouldn't buy it.
To each his own.

Shotguns are not precision shooters by their very nature. Most shotguns will work just fine, if the shooter is up to the task.
Of course many can be improved upon with minor adjustments but other then that I am not aware of any advantage from one model to another.

I learned to wing shoot 55 years ago, with a Cooey model 84.

I still own a model 84 but it wasn't made for steel shot so I seldom use it these days. Instead my go to shotgun now is a 55 year old Mossberg190 KA 16 guage which I use mostly for Goose hunting.

My point being, if it works for you that's all that matters.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/14/22 10:27 PM

Def worth is to move up. All 3 of those are solid choices, i have a couple franchi that are used as backup/loaners for clients. They get abused and keep running
Posted By: huck18

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/15/22 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by stevehong
Looking at getting a Stoeger M3500 waterfowl edition,
but is it worth it or just get a Franchi, Berretta, or Benelli?

A Berretta A300 outlander, a burlap sack and a couple cans of spray paint is about the best budget waterfowl gun money can buy.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/16/22 02:27 AM

I was searching for a new shotgun last season and had a lot of fun during the selection process.

Originally, my heart was set on an A400, but it felt “bulky” and the 1 year warranty on such an expensive shotgun was a turnoff. Next I looked reallly hard at the Fabarms XLR5. I didn’t shoot it, but I handled one several times. As much as I liked it, there was just something about the fit that I didn’t like. I could have been very happy with an A5 but the one I borrowed had cycling issues so I mixed it. Next was the SBE. The SBE checked all the boxes, but after some self evaluation, I passed on it. I knew I’ll never shoot 3.5” shells and believe the M2 is just as good and bet less expensive. So.. I ended up buying an M2 and I have zero regrets. It’s a duck swatting machine.

[Linked Image]

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 12/16/22 04:25 PM

The SBE 3 now is offered with a 3" chamber, I own one but not impressed should have gone with the M-2 or just stuck with my Franchi Affinity.

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/03/23 04:21 PM

Update:
After a lot of research, shopping, and thoughts - i decided to go with the Benelli SBE3 in timber.
One of my hunting buddies and I were talking about shotguns, which we have had experience with, and then just decided to let me borrow his for the afternoon.
After shooting it, i decided to utilize my "buy once, cry once" theory, and ordered the shotgun.

Thank you everyone for your opinions
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/03/23 04:35 PM

FWIW, we had a guy in the blind yesterday with a new SBE3 and it was giving him fits. It would shoot one and not let the follow up shell out of the magazine tube.
Posted By: louisianaman

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/03/23 07:13 PM

Have had that same problem with most my newer autoloaders (A5, SBE3, and occasionally with A400). Never had it happen to my grandfather's 1970's Browning B2000 (gas piston). At least in my experience, the autoloaders have to be cleaned religiously after every shoot. Some of you probably are thinking "duh", I know. A5 fits me best but I've had it not cycle in the blind one too many times. I don't like bringing the b2000 out to get rusty and beat up. So nowadays I just roll with a Benelli supernova pump. I love it I can beat the [censored] out of it and not feel bad at all. Always cycles and that's what I need duck hunting

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/03/23 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by louisianaman
Have had that same problem with most my newer autoloaders (A5, SBE3, and occasionally with A400). Never had it happen to my grandfather's 1970's Browning B2000 (gas piston). At least in my experience, the autoloaders have to be cleaned religiously after every shoot. Some of you probably are thinking "duh", I know. A5 fits me best but I've had it not cycle in the blind one too many times. I don't like bringing the b2000 out to get rusty and beat up. So nowadays I just roll with a Benelli supernova pump. I love it I can beat the [censored] out of it and not feel bad at all. Always cycles and that's what I need duck hunting

I have two post 14 a5’s and neither has given me an ounce of trouble. They shoot dirty and shoot well.
I clean mine once a year after the season unless they get really wet.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/05/23 08:08 PM

I went on a teal hunt this year, and my friend, his wife, and their son all had one. They loved them, I have since though several times about acquiring one, but I like my BPS too much.

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/11/23 03:40 PM

[Linked Image]

No jams or malfunctions with the new Benelli SBE3 - also threw on a little something for fun

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/11/23 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevehong
[Linked Image]

No jams or malfunctions with the new Benelli SBE3 - also threw on a little something for fun

I always wondered what happened to Anton Chigurh! bolt
Posted By: leswad

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/15/23 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by topwater13
FWIW, we had a guy in the blind yesterday with a new SBE3 and it was giving him fits. It would shoot one and not let the follow up shell out of the magazine tube.

Benelli‘s must be shouldered firmly.
Posted By: Trinihunter

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/15/23 11:38 PM

My first field shotgun was a Stoeger 3500, I was a total newbie and the price and reviews were fair. There were quite a few complaints about cycling rounds but several debunkers. After the first couple hunts it started not cycling, it would shoot the first one and not cycle the second. I blamed it on the operator and tried several brands of ammo, took it to a shop and had it cleaned/worked on, the shop couldn’t find anything wrong. Second season, same thing. Went out and bought the famous SBE III, haven’t had that issue in the last three seasons. My buddy needs a gun on a hunt this year, I told him I had the Stoeger but it wouldn’t cycle, he said the ‘net said use “this”ammo and it would be fine…….it failed on the first group of teal that came in. I traded it in (stating the issue) the next week.

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/16/23 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by leswad
Originally Posted by topwater13

Benelli‘s must be shouldered firmly.

I agree....as my post 14 A5 is the same. However, we couldn't get a shell to release manually either. It seemed there was a spring/latch busted on the magazine release. I messed with it for 10 min in the blind.
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/16/23 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

cheers

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/17/23 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trinihunter
My first field shotgun was a Stoeger 3500, I was a total newbie and the price and reviews were fair. There were quite a few complaints about cycling rounds but several debunkers. After the first couple hunts it started not cycling, it would shoot the first one and not cycle the second. I blamed it on the operator and tried several brands of ammo, took it to a shop and had it cleaned/worked on, the shop couldn’t find anything wrong. Second season, same thing. Went out and bought the famous SBE III, haven’t had that issue in the last three seasons. My buddy needs a gun on a hunt this year, I told him I had the Stoeger but it wouldn’t cycle, he said the ‘net said use “this”ammo and it would be fine…….it failed on the first group of teal that came in. I traded it in (stating the issue) the next week.

I have an extra Remington Versa Max for sale if your buddy is needing a gun - no cycling issues, everything from 2 3/4's to 3.5in shells, and comes with three chokes - factory modified, Kicks High Flyer Full, and a MR choke.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/19/23 10:59 PM

If you look at all the money you spend on hunting over the years and how long your gear lasts you, I personally believe your firearm is the cheapest tool you will buy. So spend the money up front on something you will be happy with as it will likely last your lifetime and your grandkids' lifetime if taken care of.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Waterfowl Shotgun - is it worth it? - 01/21/23 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
If you look at all the money you spend on hunting over the years and how long your gear lasts you, I personally believe your firearm is the cheapest tool you will buy. So spend the money up front on something you will be happy with as it will likely last your lifetime and your grandkids' lifetime if taken care of.

Exactly. One thing I've learned about tools it buy quality tools and take care of them. They will out last our lifetime.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum