Texas Hunting Forum

Equipment toat

Posted By: TGalyon1

Equipment toat - 08/11/22 02:15 PM

So my normal duck hunting area is dry. I am going to try a public lake by my house this year. I am retired so i can hunt anytime. My question is what do yahaul your equipment in? I have to walk about a mile or so though cour land
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 03:14 PM

If I have just my stuff I'll put it all on my back. Decoy bag, shotgun, stool, and blind bag. If it is icy or muddy I usually drag a sled. A few times when my son was too little to carry his own stuff a couple miles and it was dry, we loaded up a Radio Flyer. Worked better than I thought it would.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 03:45 PM

A lot of it depends on what the walk is like.

Wooded and dry. Flat open dry, flat open soft lake bed, crossing creeks. Lots of variables
Posted By: Hailyeah

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 04:11 PM

I use a decoy sled a lot. But fortunately seldom walk that far anymore

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 04:40 PM

The area is somewhat wooded but has trails in it. I was thinking of a Gorilla cart from Tractor supply the two wheel 10 cu feet cart
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 04:49 PM

Decoy sleds are nice, you can haul your stuff then use it as a lay out blind.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 04:56 PM

Used to do walk-in hunts all the time, still do occasionally. I never messed with carts. Just carry about 18 deeks, texas rig, sling 9 over each shoulder. Let the sand out of the deeks and really light fish weights, makes a big difference. Mojo, gun, light $7 dove stool from Academy, cut the pouch off.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 05:11 PM

A good decoy bag is what I use the majority of the time. Rigem right refuge runner.

As guy said, take the sand out of the keels of the dekes and use 2 or 3oz decoy weights.

As a walk in hunter, you learn real quick to only take what you have to have.

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 06:36 PM

Thanks guys i like the sled idea. Did not think of that, really never seen one. I can use my kayak pull a sled behind it and only have to walk 20 yards are so if the lake does not get any lower. And the. Use the slead as a layout blind. I knew this fourm was good. On a side note i am 62 so I can’t do the things y’all do

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
use 2 or 3oz decoy weights.

I go even lighter than that. Half my deeks are like this, makes a big difference, even in your boat, especially in my momarsh.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TGalyon1
Thanks guys i like the sled idea.

Maybe get your dog to pull you??

Re: Equipment toat - 08/11/22 08:00 PM

Now i have look at the Rigum Right Refuge Runner like that to. I will get both and seen how they work out. Hopefully I will be hunt private land next year and i can drive right ip to it on the SXS. Thanks gor y’all thoughts
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Equipment toat - 08/14/22 03:19 AM

When we walked in on the sore finger unit, I hauled everything in on a 2 wheel deer cart. Decoys contained in a bag, guns lashed to the side rails, blind bags, thermos and other stuff in carry bags tied on or all held in 1 bundle in another mesh decoy bag. Usually pulling from the front is the correct choice...up a hill or across a bad spot front and rear for support. I see them on sale for about $100. I think you could even haul a kayak on one, rather than drag it. Academy says $65 Sportsmans warehouse is a little nicer $99
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum