Texas Hunting Forum

what if (waterfowlers)

Posted By: olducker

what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 04:50 PM

I am an older fellow and have recently lost my old lab and hunting buddies. So I don't go anymore . I still miss going and i live on a lake that has duck hunting. I often see the guys loading their duck boats up down the street from my house. I want to go down and ask how they did etc. I do know how protective of spots and success guys can be. I don't want to be a pain in the [censored] old man. How would you react to a guy like this... ?? I just like to watch the weather try to guess the success or lack of and wonder what type birds they are getting.
Posted By: rickym

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 05:02 PM

All depends on your approach. Some guys will be nicer than others obviously.
Posted By: Guy

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by olducker
I don't want to be a pain in the [censored] old man. How would you react to a guy like this... ??

Just go talk to them, they will share with you what they want to share with you, just don't keep pressing them for info or you will be a pain.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 05:30 PM

If some old hand approached me and started talking about duck hunting I’d ask if he wanted a ride.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 07:19 PM

If approached right & just started talkin duck hunting & seemed like a good guy, I would invite a person to a hunt. I do it quite often.
Posted By: RayB

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 08:09 PM

Start talking to them in the off season, then when you show up during the season it's not a surprise.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 08:15 PM

Go introduce yourself. You might make some new friends and start going again. Might even work it’s way into getting you another dog….
Posted By: claypool

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 08:40 PM

You gotta do you, but I will talk about waterfowl, hunting waterfowl, Labrador retrievers and gear to anyone for as long as they want. Especially if they show up with Lite Beer from Miller.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/26/22 11:08 PM

I think unless you’re a world class D!ck. Any duck hunter would enjoy talking to an old duck hunter especially hearing about how great it used to be. I know I sure would. Lots of things change, but wisdom is wisdom. When old hunters talk about tactics and such I pay attention. My generation is all about relying on the newest shotgun, mojo, or shell to get birds. I’m guilty of the gun thing I have a sickness of collecting guns.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/27/22 12:27 AM

I'm thinking its like anything else. Make a friend first.

Let them know you live near by, but don't hunt any more. Share information you have.

Like anything the folks that are regular users of that ramp will get to know you. You should then have a good network to share information.

Best of luck
Posted By: Pappashack

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/27/22 02:22 AM

I am old school sir and my miss a lot of my elder friends that have passed threw the years that I once hunted with So you bet we talking about duck hunting if you were to walk up and ask me how it went for the day. And I am asking you to take my kills home for your dinner and long as there a empty spot in the boat next trip it would be yours.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/27/22 04:59 PM

I may not say exactly where I was and my standard answer is that I caught a few, but if somebody treated you like you were being a pain in the [censored], that says a lot more about them than it does you.
Posted By: Guy

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/27/22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
I may not say exactly where I was and my standard answer is that I caught a few, but if somebody treated you like you were being a pain in the [censored], that says a lot more about them than it does you.

One hunt this year I shot one duck. Went to another ramp to scout after the hunt, here comes mohunter, told him I only shot one, he knows I like to eat ducks, so he gave me his limit. I throw them in the back of my camper on top of the dog kennel. Here comes another boat from hunting. The guy asked me how I did, I said I did not hunt here I'm going out scouting, but I only shot 1 this morning. He peers into the back of my camper and says, "Oh yeah, what are all them ducks." I told him a freind just gave them to me, lol, and I did lol. He said "Oh yeah, how many did he shoot where did he shoot them"... I can't even remember what I said to him after that, but he was really getting on my nerves like I'm obligated to give him info, and he was trying to catch me in a lie.

But I try to be nice to everyone, being an a-hole is a good way to get your tires slit with all the crazy red-neck duck hunters these days.
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/27/22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

One hunt this year I shot one duck. Went to another ramp to scout after the hunt, here comes mohunter, told him I only shot one, he knows I like to eat ducks, so he gave me his limit. I throw them in the back of my camper on top of the dog kennel. Here comes another boat from hunting. The guy asked me how I did, I said I did not hunt here I'm going out scouting, but I only shot 1 this morning. He peers into the back of my camper and says, "Oh yeah, what are all them ducks." I told him a freind just gave them to me, lol, and I did lol. He said "Oh yeah, how many did he shoot where did he shoot them"... I can't even remember what I said to him after that, but he was really getting on my nerves like I'm obligated to give him info, and he was trying to catch me in a lie.

But I try to be nice to everyone, being an a-hole is a good way to get your tires slit with all the crazy red-neck duck hunters these days.

You must be special bc the only thing Mohunter gives me is a hard time………
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 01/31/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
If some old hand approached me and started talking about duck hunting I’d ask if he wanted a ride.

Same. Approach matters, but good chance I’d offer to take you out the next time I hunt there.
Posted By: olducker

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 02/17/22 12:54 AM

Well, I took you guys advice and just went down to the ramp and visited with the fellows coming and going while being careful to not be a pest. Everyone was seemed
pretty friendly. Seems like it was a pretty slow season overall. There are still some good fellows out there..
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 02/17/22 01:27 AM

It wouldn't bother me one bit. I like to talk about success or struggles in the field.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 02/17/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
I don't want to be a pain in the [censored] old man. How would you react to a guy like this... ??

Just go talk to them, they will share with you what they want to share with you, just don't keep pressing them for info or you will be a pain.

I agree 100%
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/15/22 11:47 AM

derned skippy, I got an extra life jacket somewhere
Posted By: Greg

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/16/22 08:26 PM

^^^ +1 life is too short. Go talk to them
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/17/22 05:06 PM

Ditto

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/17/22 05:12 PM

Ain’t nobody climbing in that pine derby boat of yours!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/17/22 05:48 PM

Ain’t nobody climbing in that pine derby boat of yours!

That’s just what I show people I don’t like so I don’t have to be rude and tell them no.

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/17/22 07:39 PM

Ah I’ve been put off by uglier Wimin and it didn’t hurt.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: what if (waterfowlers) - 03/21/22 06:52 PM

I am an older fellow and have recently lost my old lab and hunting buddies. So I don't go anymore . I still miss going and i live on a lake that has duck hunting. I often see the guys loading their duck boats up down the street from my house. I want to go down and ask how they did etc. I do know how protective of spots and success guys can be. I don't want to be a pain in the [censored] old man. How would you react to a guy like this... ?? I just like to watch the weather try to guess the success or lack of and wonder what type birds they are getting.

I can be a jerk and hold my own with the best of them. With that being said, I have never denied a person, especially in your shoes, a spot in the blind. I have actually beat people to public spots, in the airboat, and was approached by walk in guys who couldn't get there by boat. They didn't have time to get anywhere else and there was simply too many to hunt that spot. My group agreed to let them have the spot and off we went.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum