Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX

Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/23/21 07:01 PM

Does anyone live around Brownwood? How is the dove forecast looking in general and especially around Brownwood where I will be hunting? Did the freeze kill the birds or has the mild summer really improved the outlook? What do the experts think?
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 02:22 AM

Lots of sunflowers. Birds are scattered
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 11:57 AM

Freeze definitely killed some birds so that made for a small hatch. Storms in this area also destroyed a couple of hatches. But there always pockets of birds here and there. Anyone hunting close to a town should do well. I believe it's going to be an off September, and I'm solely basing that on all the dead dove I found after the freeze. I sure hope I'm dead wrong though..
I am hearing there's decent birds in Oklahoma, so maybe we'll get them at some point.
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 01:21 PM

I live in brownwood. Ive been seeing alot of birds around the sunflower fields. If your not around food then the birds are far and few between.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 01:29 PM

This week's show they talk to the head of unwebbed feet at TPWD, they cover the freeze and other interesting dove facts. Lone Star Outdoor Show
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 01:45 PM

I'm south of Brownwood, toward the river. We are not seeing a lot of birds so far this year. The freeze impacted the local bird population and think we'll need a couple of cool fronts to push northern birds down. I'm not an expert by any means, but think the early season is going to be lacking, but hope for positives as the season moves into late September.
Posted By: JoshMan7347

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 02:54 PM

lots of birds in town from what some family members are saying.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 09:10 PM

Always had luck that way would be nice if there was a day hunt down that way we could find
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 09:42 PM

I was in Santa Anna this past weekend; out of all the spots we checked we only found one holding any meaningful number of birds and it had the trifecta; water, food and roost. All the other spots were ghost towns.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/24/21 10:58 PM

Sounds like the last 5 years reports
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/25/21 12:35 AM

Looking like it might be a wet opening few days. Damn disappointing.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/25/21 09:42 PM

This past Saturday, My wife & I moved my stepson to College in Abilene. We were leaving there around 3:30 to go back to Ft.Worth so I asked my Wife "Hey do you want to go on a Short Road Trip" and she said sure! So we left Abilene and Headed to Albany, only saw 1 dove on the way, Left Albany around 4:00 and headed toward Throckmorton (Woodson) and did not see 1 bird. Went riding around Woodson on only saw a few, by this time it was around 4:30. We left that area and Headed south to Breckenridge, didn't see a bird. Left Breckenridge and headed towards (East) to Caddo/Palo Pinto and drove around that area between 5:30 & 6:30 and only saw a couple. Total birds seen in about a 3-3.5 hr. "Scouting" Road trip was 11......YES ELEVEN. Sooo Now they are calling for Rain (Small Chance) next Tues & Wed. Not looking tooo good if you are headed out west from the Metroplex. Like STOMPY said in his Post above is there are Pockets of birds (Even in the Bad Years) so GO SCOUT "EM IF YOU CAN!!!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/25/21 10:30 PM

the blizzard of '21 got 'em.
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/27/21 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aggiedukmaster
This past Saturday, My wife & I moved my stepson to College in Abilene. We were leaving there around 3:30 to go back to Ft.Worth so I asked my Wife "Hey do you want to go on a Short Road Trip" and she said sure! So we left Abilene and Headed to Albany, only saw 1 dove on the way, Left Albany around 4:00 and headed toward Throckmorton (Woodson) and did not see 1 bird. Went riding around Woodson on only saw a few, by this time it was around 4:30. We left that area and Headed south to Breckenridge, didn't see a bird. Left Breckenridge and headed towards (East) to Caddo/Palo Pinto and drove around that area between 5:30 & 6:30 and only saw a couple. Total birds seen in about a 3-3.5 hr. "Scouting" Road trip was 11......YES ELEVEN. Sooo Now they are calling for Rain (Small Chance) next Tues & Wed. Not looking tooo good if you are headed out west from the Metroplex. Like STOMPY said in his Post above is there are Pockets of birds (Even in the Bad Years) so GO SCOUT "EM IF YOU CAN!!!

Yeah, I haven't seen near as many local birds this year as we normally do in Eastland county.
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: Dove Forecast around Brownwood TX - 08/27/21 10:44 PM

It's a win/win boys. If birds ain't flying then we'll just get drunk and go fishing!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum