Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Hunts

Posted By: ndhunter

Dove Hunts - 07/07/20 04:14 PM

Not very many postings in THF lease section for dove hunts
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/08/20 02:01 PM

Last year's poor dove numbers/hunting in so many places for so much of the season might have folks gunshy. I know it does me, but always hopeful!

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/08/20 06:44 PM

Yeah me too. It is a little early for the day hunt postings.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/09/20 12:06 PM

i think the migratory patterns have changed

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/09/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Why would you say that? Due to bad year last year?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/09/20 04:07 PM

Past couple of years have not had a very good hatch is all, that's been the issue in early season. There's always pockets of good birds around, just have to be lucky enough to be in one. The October birds have been pretty decent the past couple of years.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/09/20 08:19 PM

I normally already have my hunt booked for the 1st by now. Covid is keeping me from making plans. It will likely be the week before opener that I finalize where and whom hunting with. May even just hunt public since it opens on a tuesday this year.

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/10/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
I normally already have my hunt booked for the 1st by now. Covid is keeping me from making plans. It will likely be the week before opener that I finalize where and whom hunting with. May even just hunt public since it opens on a tuesday this year.

I'm doing the same thing. I haven't been in two years and miss it. Just got tired of paying $$ for a few birds and WAY too many hunters. Last year the weather scared me off, don't like hunting in a muddy rainy field. Too old for that.

Definitely don't mind paying $$ for a couple limits and a decent motel !!!
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/16/20 09:36 PM

I go every year regardless. Love the away time, camping, drinking, hanging out even if it is by myself. Most likely this year I will go alone due to Tuesday it being opening day. With that being said, leave Sunday, camp hang out, cook steaks, fish at the local,lake....love it!

Here was last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/16/20 09:37 PM

Dove season has been horrible here the last 3 years.

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/22/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
I go every year regardless. Love the away time, camping, drinking, hanging out even if it is by myself. Most likely this year I will go alone due to Tuesday it being opening day. With that being said, leave Sunday, camp hang out, cook steaks, fish at the local,lake....love it!

Here was last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

you should take your Uncle Buzz, I hear that's his kind of dove hunting clap
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/23/20 01:02 AM

"[quote=Superduty]I go every year regardless. Love the away time, camping, drinking, hanging out even if it is by myself. Most likely this year I will go alone due to Tuesday it being opening day. With that being said, leave Sunday, camp hang out, cook steaks, fish at the local,lake....love it!"

WELL SAID!
flag

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/23/20 03:34 PM

Yeah it is fun. Dove is what I got to look forward to right now. It's consuming me LOL

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 06:04 PM

Hard to imagine we are only about a month away and nobody is arguing about shot size

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 06:06 PM

or the use of mojos
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 06:16 PM

I don't about anywhere else but birds are scarce NE of Dallas. The only birds I'm seeing are some resident whitewings.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Why would you say that? Due to bad year last year?

My buddy that I hunt with every year lives where we hunt. He says many of the farmers in the area have quit planting and the birds just don't come in like they used to. His place still gets some birds but they usually harvest early and the birds are out by the 2nd week of September regardless of pressure. 20 miles east of him there were more birds the last 3 years. One might say they changed migration paths.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 07:13 PM

Well this year they planted corn (last 4 years have been cotton) and seeing more birds, so far!!!
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 08:13 PM

Hard to imagine we are only about a month away and nobody is arguing about shot size

True, committed dove hunters only use 9 shot in 28 gauge low brass shells and mojos with one wing missing. Everyone else is just farting in the wind.

Will that do? smile
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/24/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59

True, committed dove hunters only use 9 shot in 28 gauge low brass shells and mojos with one wing missing. Everyone else is just farting in the wind.

Will that do? smile

Reminds me I need to find that missing wing! muyloco

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/26/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis
I don't about anywhere else but birds are scarce NE of Dallas. The only birds I'm seeing are some resident whitewings.

what general area are you scouting?
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/27/20 12:03 AM

I cannot wait till Aug 31st....got my camping area all set......might even leave the 30th. I need a vacation/hunt/camp!111

Already am packed! Airstream has been polished, sheets washed, fridge cleaned, vacuumed And floors mopped!

Cannot wait!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/29/20 01:16 AM

The way we all grew up, it’s a right of passage, a Texas tradition.

Bad year or phenomenal, we go. Every year.
Sometimes it’s just for the buddies, the scenery and the dogs.

I wouldn’t miss it.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/29/20 09:11 PM

I just signed up for my 1st dove lease. They have a field about 5 miles from where I work, so guess I will see what happens.

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/29/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59

Will that do? smile

Yes, I started to say something about the 28 ga hunters who require 15 or fewer shells for a limit

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/29/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

The way we all grew up, it’s a right of passage, a Texas tradition.

Bad year or phenomenal, we go. Every year.
Sometimes it’s just for the buddies, the scenery and the dogs.

I wouldn’t miss it.

It's always about the birds, sometimes you have to settle for the company.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/31/20 05:02 PM

Here was last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful shotgun! What is the make and model?
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Dove Hunts - 07/31/20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigAL33

Here was last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful shotgun! What is the make and model?

Looks like a Browning Maxus Golden Sporting Clays gun.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Dove Hunts - 08/05/20 12:59 AM

Here was last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You're doing it right.

This hunting season will be more for me to just get the h3!! away from everything.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Dove Hunts - 08/05/20 03:48 PM

Dove hunting to me is like Spring training for baseball. We get down to the lease.. Walk around, socialize. Fill feeders, clear roads, open up shooting lanes. Maybe set a new spot or two. We shoot at some birds and sort of try, nut it is mainly to get ready for Bow Season and then Open season for the der.

Re: Dove Hunts - 08/05/20 04:24 PM

Used to do the same. I feed deer year around now so I will be refilling and then heading couple hours further west for birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum