Texas Hunting Forum

Opening day

Posted By: Erichugh22

Opening day - 11/10/18 01:23 AM

Good luck to everyone tomorrow and be safe. Coldest, duckiest weather we’ve had on an opening weekend in years.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 01:50 AM

yep, wish there would be more cloud cover tomorrow, but it looks like sunday will have that. got the alarm set for 3:30. good luck and looking forward to seeing some pics.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 02:10 AM

Getting excited, just wish we would have a little wind. Supposed to only be 3-5mph

I have to admit I wasn't as excited as I usually am until I started getting my gear together and now I'm pretty pumped.

Good luck to everyone!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 07:59 AM

In my spot, time to fight off Barney. boxing

All I'm hoping for is a few for the pup and that my boy choots straight for her.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 08:28 AM

Good luck to everyone and be safe!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 09:42 AM

Good luck fellas, feels ducky outside today.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 10:18 AM

The boat ramp across the lake is LOADED with rigs waiting their turn.......

fwiw, I've hunted much colder windier weather and I'm covered head to toe with 5 mil neo, but for some strange reason I am still freezing my yass off.

I'm thinking my chemo treatments aren't gonna play nice with hunts.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 12:18 PM

Already heard gunshots, 8 min before legal.
Awesome fellas
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Already heard gunshots, 8 min before legal.
Awesome fellas

Just 8 minutes? I guess that's like going 65 in a 55. Still ticket worthy but close. Maybe the time challanged will figure it out eventually. I remember last year having to explain to my son why we couldn't shoot with ducks on the water and others shooting. It's alright I said, the mentally challenged get to shoot first. smile
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis
The boat ramp across the lake is LOADED with rigs waiting their turn.......

fwiw, I've hunted much colder windier weather and I'm covered head to toe with 5 mil neo, but for some strange reason I am still freezing my yass off.

I'm thinking my chemo treatments aren't gonna play nice with hunts.

Glad your out there. Tough it out if you can. These things help you heal imo. Good luck!
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 04:16 PM

Hope y’all did well today. My morning was shot. Left the house at 11 pm and made it about a mile from the ramp and a dog or hog or something darted out in front of me. I hit it with the truck and it hit my boat trailer tire. Bent my rim and tore the bearing buddy off the trailer. I think the axle is tweaked too. Spent about an hour in the boat ramp parking lot working on it. Decided to call it instead of getting water in the bearings and risking it the hour drive home and not making work on time ! Never saw a soul.

Going to have to pick up a replacement axel and I’ll be out tomorrow and Monday!

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 10:17 PM

Best opener I’ve had ever I think. Never seen a mallard in this area before thanksgiving, and I saw several flocks today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Opening day - 11/10/18 11:40 PM

Awesome pic!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Opening day - 11/11/18 01:50 AM

Birds were there, but we had some challenges (unforced errors) with concealment. Wasn’t as crowded as I expected and I’m thinking it’s because it was so cold. Fine by me. Shot my first redhead, though.

Hopefully it stays cold and we have a good migration this season.
Posted By: chilled shot

Re: Opening day - 11/11/18 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Erichugh22
Best opener I’ve had ever I think. Never seen a mallard in this area before thanksgiving, and I saw several flocks today.

[Linked Image]

Nice to see green hanging this time of year. Nice strap up
Posted By: pintail_ag

Re: Opening day - 11/11/18 01:26 PM

[Linked Image]

Awesome pic. What’s your boat setup if you don’t mind me asking?
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Opening day - 11/12/18 03:16 PM

We shot a couple of Mallards as well which was a bit surprising this time of year. We had our share of early season missteps but still a great start to the season. Have a bit of work to do on our blinds and locations.

Re: Opening day - 11/12/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_ag

[Linked Image]

Awesome pic. What’s your boat setup if you don’t mind me asking?

It’s an alumacraft waterfowler with a 23 mud buddy long tail
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Opening day - 11/13/18 03:20 AM

Great pic!
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Opening day - 11/13/18 03:35 PM

Really nice pic! Me and the pup had a good opening weekend too. Didn't hunt Saturday, went out Sunday afternoon after church and saw quite a few but only shot 1. Set up smarter (and earlier) yesterday though and shot a limit in an hour. Pulled up at 9, drove out at 10:30. Had to setup 500 yds or so from the x, due to the water depth. Could not pull over any mallards for the life of me, but gads and teal quickly filled the strap. If water drops a foot it's on like donkey kong
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum